OS X for SSE (qemu)

Dragon

417 posts in this topic

Tomorrow i'll try to do a osx installation at my dual p3 2x933Mhz.

Can qemu start without staring x-system on linux? I think it'll be much faster then!

The question is if we really need osx on only sse systems, or if it's just a challange

For a challange a sse emu in the kernel would be nice, but too difficult.

Another question: is somebody in this discussion good enough to edit the kernel/too make and add emulation?

Thrawnhex

P.S.: I have a 3 ghz sse2 intel proz. and osx wasn't slower after the 10.4.10 update. Maybe because i use 8.9.1 kernel

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I hope the interest for this project has not totally died out. I just came accross this tread yesterday, really I want to run osx on my Play Station 3 but I wouldn't mind doing it on my Pentium 3 desktop. I downloaded the dragon slax img and currently downloading a tiger (10.4.6) and leopard HD images. I also notice that qemu was updated on jan08 any one has keeped up with this project? I also know there are linux distros that boot from a floppy disk, any disavantages on using one that small allong with qemu? That would maximise the ram for OSX.

Pentium 3 866 running @ 1001 MHz

Ram 448 MB

mmm, i hope so too, but i´ve tried it all, las t time i´ve tried to build up a sse3, ACPI qemu but somehow i didn´t work, (error while compiling), but i think we can build up a full sse3 acpi qemu that runs leopard at a decent speed, so we just need a little knowledge, so if anyones is interesed, welcome!!!

first we have to do is build up a qemu with full ACPI and SSE3 support to can boot from an iso image, then we just must figure out how can we put it onto a lightweight linux distro (maybe LinuxBios), I´ll be working on that, anyone that can do it too, please post results

I'm glad to hear you still trying. I finish my downloads but I can't get either one to run:

I'm using qemu -hda /media/Junk/OSX/tiger-x86-flat.img -m 320 -no-kqemu -boot c

but it boot up so fast i can't put

"platform=X86PC "Graphics Mode"="800x600x16" -v"

so I get the ACPI error message. Any one knows how to slow it down some to let me pass the command to darwin?

I'll have to read up on your proposal @nd®£§§!! (sse3, ACPI qemu) but I'll see what I come up with, I'm not a master of linux but I can try.

BTW I'm just using Ubuntu and Qemu since my CD burner is out I have to wait tuesday to be able to burn that slax iso.

g_face2k :

You will always get teh ACPI error when trying to boot osx (even flat images) on qemu, you have to patch the source code of qemu with Dr. jargmeisters´ code (i ignore if that´s how the name is written), on Dragon´s Slax iso, qemu is already patched, but there so slow and buggy.

Qemu on Dragon´s Slax image, has support for sse3, and tiger flat image is patched to run on sse2 machines, so i think that´s making emulation slowly and buggy, ACPI is not fully supported by qemu yet (at least it wasn´t when i was messing with that), so .iso files cannot be booted up, my idea is to build a full sse3 acpi, and jargemeisters patched, so we can boot OSX .iso and install it on a physycal hard drive, using a lightweight linux host (LinuxBios is the best i think), i´ve been working on that but no good news yet, so anyone interesed, please test and feedback.

Remember the aim is to build a SSE3 acpi, and jargemeisters patched qemu, then we can work on how to put it on lightweight linux

ok i finally got osx running, i had to download another torrent (tiger-x86.tar.bz2) but your right its retarded slow (under windows qemu-0.9.1). I found this site http://alex.csgraf.de/self/?qemu/ I'm confused reading his site but apperantly he wrote a patch for ss3 on qemu but i'm not familiar with aplying the patch. let me know what you heard of this.

that's interesting, seems that the guy built up a qemu wich is able to boot osx and seems kqemu is able to run osx too, but neither do i understood it well, but i think that's the main idea, well i'll try to contact this guy maybe he is interested to work beside us on this

hi people i saw all messages...according to me what we need is a bare metal emulator(which doesnot need any os to run)...so the option is as qemu is opensource can be modified to make it work without any os.....i think this is easier than sse2->sse recompilation...

i dont know much abt this but i am giving this as suggestion.......

srivathsa the proble is that most ppl that have the knowledge to do that don't give a rats butt about doing something like this because it would be easier to just buy new hardware.

Well for the time being I'm stuck on a Pentium3 1Ghz and now with my 22" LCD its starting to show its age (I only use it to browse the web and do simple stuff, I play all my games on my PS3). But I would love to learn about OSX thats why I'm gona try to get the best results possible, right now I'm trying to make SLAX as small as possible to put the custom qemu (I really hope this works). If I were a programmer I would try inplementing qemu directly to darwin insteat of loading linux to boot qemu to boot osx.

I checked out

basic linux

mona os

pocket linux...

But the problem is that the're so small that it might skim on the drivers which will lead to problems (PC's have alot of diffent type of hardware). mona seams to be its own kind of OS so qemu will have to be ported.

Tomorrow I'm gona start working on a slax frodo live cd (it starts off at 50MB), I'm hopping to just put a terminal program, fluxbox and qemu. The only thing I need help with is how to display the current RAM being used and how much is left free, any ideas?

its late i'm out

I checked out

basic linux

mona os

pocket linux...

But the problem is that the're so small that it might skim on the drivers which will lead to problems (PC's have alot of diffent type of hardware). mona seams to be its own kind of OS so qemu will have to be ported.

Tomorrow I'm gona start working on a slax frodo live cd (it starts off at 50MB), I'm hopping to just put a terminal program, fluxbox and qemu. The only thing I need help with is how to display the current RAM being used and how much is left free, any ideas?

its late i'm out

hi did u do it....

Thanx on the info the command "free" shows how much memory is left & how much your using which is great cause were trying to get the smallest foot print on ram. That Dragon slax popcorn is too big, it takes 228MB of ram to load fluxbox and 187MB with out loading fluxbox. Slax frodo uses 60MB (if you don't copy2ram) witch is good but am having a hell of a time trying to make a window manager module (I'm trying to use blackbox which is suppose to be smaller than fluxbox). I'll post back as soon as I get something going.

As for the Damn Small Linux suggestion, I must say it was a great one. They don't use the linux 2.6x kernal but a modify 2.4x kernel with support for newer equipment and I had it running in a windows qemu window, it took about 20MB. If i could remaster this distro with nothing but the window manager it uses, xterm and qemu i'm sure it would greatly benefit us.

I'm going to see if I get slax frodo working with blackbox, xterm and qemu (with the OSX patches) first since it uses the 2.6x kernel; and see how that works out. The dragon iso locks up my pc cause it takes up too much memory (i have only 448MB to work with).

I ran Dam Small Linux from the live cd instead of qemu and I notice it actually takes around 70MB of ram. Right now I have Slax frodo running X.org with no window (i'm also able to run blackbox but I'm trying to see if we even need a window manager) manager taking up 70MB of ram but its inside vmware. I need to figure out if this will give us sound and networking abilities. I'll post again later.

I think that might be the way to go (DSL). I customized SLAX but it acts wiered and I can't really find support for it, at lest not for what I'm trying to do (Slax frodo +xorg +blackbox +qemu 9.0). If any one out there can help me with this I would appreciate it.

ok after searching for days on info I got Slax to boot into flux box using 156 MB of ram, its more than I would like it to be but looking at the packages it retain (like the wifi stuff) and running kernel 2.6.16 I think is OK. I need to iron out some edges on it first before i'm done. I also haven't use that qemu patch yet but I'm hopping to do it soon.

Is there absolutely no one else remotely interested in this?

I got my banged up ibm laptop running again so I'm hopping this work to bring live back to it.

More like a frankn laptop

IBM R31

1.2 GHz Celeron

USB 2.0 PCMCIA card

HD: Ipod 5G formated as ext2 with tiger img