• Blackbox
    • Fluxbox
    • FVWM
    • TWM
    • IceWM
    • Other (Please Specify)

97 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Gnome is my interface of choice, followed very closely by Xfce. KDE just feels kinda clunky; though more flashy and such on the surface, it misses the "slick" and streamlined feel of Gnome. IMHO Gnome is more Mac-ish while KDE is more like Windows :).

As to Beryl (just a WM so I used it as part of Gnome). It's been about 5-6 months since I updated it on my Linux machine so it might have improved, but last time I tried it it still felt like a beta. Crashed every now and then, and the jiggles and other effects just weren't as smooht as I'd like. Turned it off after a while.

• 4 weeks later...

Xfce is the Better: ligth but using gtk...

But my favourite is the IRIX (I think) 3D Gui, mmm... I lost they name but we can see it in Jurassic park I

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KDE. Optional Mac style menubar is nice.

Mostly though, it lets me do what I want instead of telling me what I want. Want your button order to be OK, Cancel? KDE has you covered. Want it the other way? You can change it. Gnome forces cancel, OK. There's other stuff like that. I'm very set in my habits, and don't like seeing stuff like that change :)

• 1 month later...
Wow, I didn't think Gnome and KDE would be so close!

Well, before Ubuntu, KDE was always the most used GUI, by far. It was a given that it was the most user friendly.

Because Ubuntu, for some unknown reason, had to change everything, they changed that as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Aww come on now. This is groundless.

Ubuntu is the only distribution I ever tried in which every single thing worked out of the box, including my printer and scanner.

openSUSE for example. It took vista out of MBR, and after a few weeks of regular usage, no tweaking, the bootscreen dissappeared just like that. Also two days after reinstaling it I have found out that it messed up the file permissions and KDE just would't start. These are the things ubuntu have and opensuse lacks. The things you call "hype".

I'm gonna stop now. No flames.

And how do you like it?

once i switched my K menu to the normal KDE one i like it

im still trying to figure out how to install gnome to compare because there isnt a "gnome" package like there is on almost every other distro ive used (fedora, ubuntu, debian, gentoo)

Edit: found it

i am using the community version because i didnt want to use a DL DVD

i tried to install KDE4 RC1 but it crases when i select it :D