OSX "Ongoing" Performance

16 posts in this topic

Hi folks (first post :unsure: )

This is a great forum, I've lurked a bit here getting OSX 10.4.6 working on my P4(SSE2) machine and it's been a great help. I have to say so far I'm really impressed by the OS. Not quite as impressed as I was by my Amiga in 1987 but times move on and Mac OS looks to be the best thing going at the moment, way better than windows!

On a thread I came across recently, I read a great quote:

OSX isn't registry dependant, therefore installing a program won't slow down your system.

A fresh Windows XP install is really fast (try it yourself, it even boots as fast as OSX), but a 2 year Windows XP will be slow as hell, while OSX will keep the same speed as when you installed it for the first time.

Is this really true? My XP partition is really starting to run like {censored} (2-3 years old funnily enough), and contrary to what some people have said on this forum I find OSX on the same hardware runs quicker - more responsive and better all round!!!!

So my question is will this performance last - does OSX really not die slowly like Windows does? If so I think I'm a convert, just got to save up for a proper Intel Mac :pirate2: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

I read that too, I don't have any knowledge as to whether it is true or not (although it sounds like it is), but from experience I would tend to think that it is the case.

I haven't noticed a slow down on my mac, had it for about 9 months. If I don't have any apps set up to run on logon, it boots up just as fast as the day I first turned it on. And once I have it up and running I can't tell a difference (it's always been fast).

There does seem to be so much less chugging of the HDD with Mac OSX doesn't there. About 6 months ago I upgraded my main (XP) HDD from 80GB to 250GB and it was so much quicker and quieter.

Now the 80GB is plugged back in and OSX is running off that.

Well, believe it or not, OSX boots just as quick as XP does, and there's much less disk thrashing when the OS is running - and it's running off a much slower drive!

That's quite a good sign I would say...

I read that too, I don't have any knowledge as to whether it is true or not (although it sounds like it is), but from experience I would tend to think that it is the case.

Despite what some uninformed, mislead and probably low IQ people might say, the design of software, especially operating systems (because they are rather simple programs), has absolutely nothing do with their performance, stability or security.

It all has to do with "market share". You see, OS X's "market share" is only about 3%, so not many people are using it. That's why OS X installations are stable. If OS X ever became popular (and that's unlikely because most people are smart enough to know better than to try something different), it would stop working in a few months just like Windows. A single operating system can only support so many users at one time, period.

EDIT: I really do not want to confuse anybody, this post was just a joke.

Doesnt osx using .plist files to store preferences as opposed to the registry on windows?

Based on my logic, each program only has to access its own plist files and occasionally others, while windows has to open the entire registry to get its values. Also deleting traces of programs is as easy as dragging them to the trash on osx whereas on windows it is more trivial.

So, if i am correct, think of it as having many small independent databases as opposed to one unorganized/big database.

Doesnt osx using .plist files to store preferences as opposed to the registry on windows?

No, that is just what those crazy Mac-zealots what you to think.

Apple could not make XML work with all those stupid "plists", so settings are actually saved in a hidden Microsoft Word document.

This is why Microsoft still makes Office for OS X, Apple needs it to survive.

EDIT: I really do not want to confuse anybody, this post was just a joke.

/me wonders if bofors is ever going to make a post that:

1) doesn't insult people and group them together as stupid cows with low IQs (2 or 3 posts in as many days that say this)

2) doesn't make a joke of something and just makes his point

3) actually has some modicum of actual knowledge related to stuff instead of mouthing off with random minutiae...

I wonder... I wonder...

1) doesn't insult people and group them together as stupid cows with low IQs (2 or 3 posts in as many days that say this)

3) actually has some modicum of actual knowledge related to stuff instead of mouthing off with random minutiae...

I wonder... I wonder...

For examples of what I typically post here, I would suggest that you look at either of the threads in which I have described the results of my experience with building Hackintoshes in detail:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=26508

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=7393

If you do, you might notice that spend quite a bit of time answering people questions in a professional manner. Note also, that my original "bofors' box" thread generated over 100k views (and that wasn't just me clicking either). I get PM's almost every day from people here asking for technical advice and I answer them all the same way.

As far as actual knowledge goes, I will select two more threads as examples:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35970

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=31899

The first contains reposts of the versions of Natit, which I have personally developed and that have been down loaded over a thousand times in total. The second details the results of work setting up RAID arrays on OSx86 machines.

I speak my mind and often get into trouble for it, but I will never understand why people generally fail to comprehend the idea of free speech. While you may have been offended in some way by something that I have said, what you suggesting here is absurd. I very deliberately avoid even reading let alone posting in several sections of this board because I simply have nothing positive to add. Frankly, I think you missed the context of the "jokes" I have posted here. Try looking at these threads to understand where I was coming from:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=25639

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=37101

Note that the second thread was originally titled "Are Apple users {censored} stupid?" and has been edited by Other.

EDIT:

One more thing... I must have passed out hundreds of Demonoid invitations here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=50&st=160

awww bofors, i thought that was hilarious! you made my morning.

I have a windows partition on my macbook pro that runs InsanelyFast, only because i only have steam, avgfree, firefox, teamspeak, xfire, and a few phone hacking tools amongst some more games. i boot in and out of it quick, much faster than my other windows-pc-using friends because i only do a few select things in windows. They use Office, AIM, itunes/wmp, and everything else one uses on computers. OS X does a great job at keeping the same pace throughout its life, because there isnt a database that needs to be accessed from every app.

• 2 weeks later...
And he says I missed the joke... sheesh.

Tough crowd. :D

bb

Let me get this straight, you are claiming this was a joke now?

I wonder... I wonder...

Ok, if you say so... :unsure:

OSX works better in the long run. I have ran a PowerPC G3 300mhz and even though it was just SLOW, it still ran good and was stable. I have had my iBook, in sig, for a week and having it is a dream. OSX just runs alot faster than XP, I have had apps lock up, but my dial up is slow. OSX is rock solid. Now some may say "XP never crashes for me and it is great" and that may be true, but most of them don't "push" the OS. If you use your PC/laptop and do more than the everyday email and surfing, then you will see how well it runs. I am a system admin over a Windows network and my work PC is full of apps and stuff and I push it, and Windows does pretty good. We have macs (dual G5's PowePCs) in advertising, they are HAMMERED with the images and video they do, and still keep going just fine. So yes, OSX holds up really well over time and I think better than Windows.

Like i said before, when using certified drivers there are no problems. What is a problem is bad software. For example i needed program that could convert all kind of videofiles, rm, mov, avi, mpg, mpg2, vob, etc to dvd.

If you google then you could see 20 promesing heaven, i dloaded them all and tried them. 10 of them crashed frequently with the most simple tasks. 8 worked ok but far from good enouhg.

Only 2 survived the test, was it a windows fault, no of course no. It was becuase stupid programmers who think they have more then 2 brain cells.

Dont blame windows for everything and please dont do or osx has no problems at all.

I frequently visit some apple forums, if i see how many problesm are dropped there, missing harddisks, printers, partitions, not booting, no connections, etc. And i mean lots of problems. Also a lot of why does my, ipod, imac, ibook pro already broke its only a few months old.

osx is great, the structure is great. I like it better then winodws, xp or vista.

But lets not do or windows crashes every 5 minutes and that osx is perfect, thats just not true.

It depends on what you do. Yes on both platforms, dumb software can crash and hose an OS and it is the programmers fault. I agree.

Certified drivers? :) Please I used Nvidia CERTIFIED a FEW times and it HARD LOCKED Windows XP to where I had to UNPLUG my damn machine. So don't go there. I am a System Administrator over about 200 or more pcs that use XP and such. I see a Windows work environment and how Windows handles under work pressure and it does ok, but not great. I also see OSX under work pressure and it still fairs better. We have machines that do almost nothing up to engineering machines that put dual core and 2 gigs of ram (and more) with 3d models to the max. Windows does OK, not great. I think many, like yourself and one my friends, gets Windows set where you don't change much and it DOES run really well and stable. Ok, that is fine and I admit that, but I have and do use Windows like many in businesses do, HARD and running it for long periods of time and push the OS to the max. Windows just can't handle being made to change, with new software, pushing the OS and the registry really hard and no matter how many apps you get that are good and how many certified drivers you get, Windows always folds under pressure. We can argue all day, but I know your type and you are set in your opinion. That is fair and your right, but I know what I have seen and have to fix and maintain on a daily basis, and it is not pretty.

Edited by sandmanfvrga

• 3 weeks later...
There does seem to be so much less chugging of the HDD with Mac OSX doesn't there. About 6 months ago I upgraded my main (XP) HDD from 80GB to 250GB and it was so much quicker and quieter.

Now the 80GB is plugged back in and OSX is running off that.

Well, believe it or not, OSX boots just as quick as XP does, and there's much less disk thrashing when the OS is running - and it's running off a much slower drive!

That's quite a good sign I would say...

I've had little to no grinding under OS X. I fire up Virtual PC with Windows XP and the entire time, I hear HD grinding. After VPC goes away, everything gets quiet again.

From what I noticed it might not be as fast as when I installed a fresh copy of 10.4.8. But compare to my Windows machine that takes forever to boot after all the things I install on it. My Powerbook G4 12" still boots up like a flash.