Sonoma Wi-Fi solutions that do not require disabled SIP (e.g. Intel AX210)

miliuco
173 posts in this topic

You are ignoring the fact to in almost all cases OpenCore Legacy Patcher is primarily used to install iGPU/GPU drivers on legacy systems!

And once you need patched GPU drivers for AMD and NVIDIA cards, SIP definitely mustbe lowered in order to load the drivers. Intel on-board might actually workk with SIP enabled.

So I wouldn't advise to enable SIP for systems that require root patches for iGPU/dGPU drivers – unless you want to leave people behind with a non-booting system…

Edited by cankiulascmnfye

@cankiulascmnfye

I'll take the hit and assume I'm included in your target audience.  No one is ignoring anything.  This thread is titled "Sonoma Wi-Fi solutions that do not require disabled SIP (e.g. Intel AX210)".   There's no mention of legacy in the title.  For example, my Kabylake-R hack with SMBIOS MBP15,2 fully supports Sonoma without OCLP and needs only a Wi-Fi solution that doesn't require root patches.  This Open Wireless Intel solution is perfectly good for that.

For my legacy hack (SMBIOS MBP6,2), since my OCLP security concerns are less about SIP and more about OCLP Wi-Fi root patches, this Open Wireless Intel solution offers a perfectly good option that allows me to use OCLP only for the Nvidia graphics root patches without the Wi-Fi root patches.  I'm Ok with partially disabling SIP since I really don't have a choice with my legacy hack.  Anything that I can do to reduce the potential attack surface and security vulnerabilities is a win for me.  I get that my hack's graphics root patches require disabled SIP and broken APFS seal, so my use cases for my security-compromised legacy hack will account for the reduced security.

Just to be clear, no one has advised anyone to enable SIP for systems that require GPU root patches.  No one is ignoring the users of OCLP who have hacks that only need an alternative to Brcm Wi-Fi/BT.

There is more than one "right" way to do something.  What may be a viable option for one person may not be for another person.  You are correct in that this Open Wireless solution may not be useful for some people.  Those who review this thread will need to decide for themselves if this is a good solution for them.  While I like this solution and it works for me, I won't mandate it for anyone (not that I could) and I won't criticize anyone if they choose not to employ this solution.  

To each his/her own.

EDIT: Sleep wake on my MPB15,2 with itlwm / Heliport is working well.  After wake, there is a few second delay before Wi-Fi is reacquired, but very acceptable.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

@miliuco sorry for intruding like this ;)

OLCP?  how to get it and use it?  is there a guide?

I have been hack-less for one year and direly miss it. 

Starting from scratch. 

downloaded big sure 11.7.7 for the Acer Latpop running 7th gen quad core i5 7300HQ with Intel HD 630 and Nvidia GTX1050 Ti.

I read where someone has gotten an ATI and GTX1050 Ti to work on Sonoma using OLCP.

link:

Of course the referencing is Desktop and looks like the person has 2 vids onboard. 

I haven't a clue what OLCP is so this is new to me and would like to see if this will work?

Thanks

Edited by makk

@makk

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher

Both projects OpenCore and OCLP share a couple of developers. OCLP is intended for unsupported Macs, machines too old to be updated to recent versions of macOS. But Hacks can benefit of it when there is hardware not supported but included in OCLP.

Read bout it. There is a thread in InsanelyMac about OLCP and unsupported Macs. In MacRumors are very populated threads: Sonoma on unsupported Macs, Ventura on unsupported Macs, etc.

2 hours ago, miliuco said:

@makk

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher

Both projects OpenCore and OCLP share a couple of developers. OCLP is intended for unsupported Macs, machines too old to be updated to recent versions of macOS. But Hacks can benefit of it when there is hardware not supported but included in OCLP.

Read bout it. There is a thread in InsanelyMac about OLCP and unsupported Macs. In MacRumors are very populated threads: Sonoma on unsupported Macs, Ventura on unsupported Macs, etc.

awesome

wonder if these developers have figured out how to run nvidia rtx vids kind of tired of AMD no raytrace no many things.

I am really impressed with the Open Wireless project for Intel Wi-Fi / Bluetooth.  In Sonoma 14.1.1, itlwm / HelliPort continues enable everything I need for Wi-Fi. IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext/IntelBTPatcher.kext/BlueToolFixup.kext continues to enable everything I need for Bluetooth.  I realize there are limitations that preclude the operation of some native Apple functions and I can live with those limitations.  Each person will need to test with their own use cases.

For a long time, I've read posts by others who praised the Open Wireless project.  I'm a late adopter and am glad that I finally listened.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently using itlwm.kext 2.3.0 (Debug Build).  I think my Wi-Fi download/upload speeds are a little faster, but I need to do more testing.  To build, I downloaded Open Wireless itlwm source from GitHub , then I downloaded Acidanthera's MacKernelSDK (placing it in the itlwm project folder) and built with Xcode 14.3.1 in Ventura 13.6.1.  The itlwm.kext Xcode project is already configured to include MacKernelSDK.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2023 at 7:53 AM, deeveedee said:

Currently using itlwm.kext 2.3.0 (Debug Build).  I think my Wi-Fi download/upload speeds are a little faster, but I need to do more testing.  To build, I downloaded Open Wireless itlwm source from GitHub , then I downloaded Acidanthera's MacKernelSDK (placing it in the itlwm project folder) and built with Xcode 14.3.1 in Ventura 13.6.1.  The itlwm.kext Xcode project is already configured to include MacKernelSDK.

Given your experience, I'm curious about a couple of things. First, have you noticed any specific improvements in signal strength or stability with this version of itlwm.kext, in addition to the speed enhancements? 

Also, considering that macOS Ventura has been reported to have some performance issues, particularly in terms of memory management, have you experienced any such issues that might be influencing your Wi-Fi performance tests?

@ArcaneRhapsody I haven't tested thoroughly enough to report my results with that much detail.  It is important to note that many of the commits after itlwm.kext 2.2.0 are for Wi-Fi cards newer than my Intel cards.  All I can report with certainty is that itlwm.kext 2.3.0 Developer Build is working well for me. I can also report that sleep/wake with itlwm.kext 2.3.0 works perfectly.  Hopefully I'll have more time to test so I can report more details.

• Like 2

@deeveedee and @chris1111

I have tested the new app to see how it works, not to have the most recent build of the kext, because itlwm 2.2.0 works very well on my system.

But when trying itlwm 2.3.0 built by the app I saw that my wifi does not work. As soon as I returned to version 2.2.0 it was fixed.

I have to do tests to find out if it is due to the compilation by the app or if it also happens with version 2.3.0 alpha downloaded from the GitHub site.

Edited by miliuco

10 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@deeveedee 

Did you try to build the kext with the wifi intel kext builder app? To see if it works for you.

It's not on my list of things to do.  The original repo is working well for me.

• Like 1

Hello @miliuco 

I have noticed that the 2.3.0 Alpha Release version does not work on Sonoma. It's the debug version of 2.3.0 Alpha (downloadable from the repo) that worked for me.

You may already know, but to build AirportItlwm.kext debug from the source, I use the following command after removing the unnecessary firmware binaries from the source folder following the guide written by @dreamwhite

CD to Itlwm project folder on desktop (MacKernelSDK must be inside the Itlwm folder as well)

cd ~/Desktop/Itlwm

Itlwm project's info

xcodebuild -list -project itlwm.xcodeproj 

Build Sonoma Airportitlwm Debug

xcodebuild -target AirportItlwm-Sonoma -configuration Debug

Build Sonoma Airportitlwm Release

xcodebuild -target AirportItlwm-Sonoma -configuration Release

Build Monterey Airportitlwm Release

xcodebuild -target AirportItlwm-Monterey -configuration Debug

Build all targets Release

xcodebuild -alltargets -configuration Release

Build all targets Debug

xcodebuild -alltargets -configuration Debug

We can also modify the script of Wifi-Intel-KextsBuilder app to build debug instead of releases. It worked for me.

Edited by AppleBreak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@AppleBreak

This may be the explanation. The kext built by Wifi Intel Kext Builder does not work in Sonoma but the one downloaded from OpenIntelWireless does because it must be the DEBUG version. Modifying the app script, as you say, is also a solution. I'll try and comment. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: You are right.

@chris1111 script modified to build debug version and itlwm alpha 2.3.0 runs fine on Sonoma.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, STLVNUB said:

Can't Build At This Time So Can Someone Post AirportItlwm.kext Debug Version PLEASE

No need to compile. Here is the 2.3.0 alpha debug version:

https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/itlwm/releases

Attached the Sonoma kext just built by Wifi Intel Kextbuilder app.

AirportItlwm.kext.zip

• Like 4

21 hours ago, miliuco said:

No need to compile. Here is the 2.3.0 alpha debug version:

https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/itlwm/releases

Attached the Sonoma kext just built by Wifi Intel Kextbuilder app.

AirportItlwm.kext.zip 14.4 MB · 5 downloads

Thanks

stupid question, so basically, @miliuco, in my condition (on RIP z390 and in "it's time to update!") this AX210, is worth the ugrade from classic BCM Fenvi style I have, or not? I mean, with Fenvi i've sometimes lost my BT keyboard, delay on press etc... WiFi is relevant (for me), only for AirDrop (or equivalent), Facetime etc... I'm here with a new AX210 pci-e on basket..."to buy or not to buy, that is the question!" ahahahh

btw guy's happy new year to all of you!

EDIT:

I'll answer myself... NO, didn't worth.

Edited by D3v1L
  • Like 1