Intel HD 530 Monterey

Alan Sojan

234 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

Both of the config.plist's are making my monitor turn off 😓 Not sure what the problem is.

Edited by Alan Sojan

@Alan Sojan Let's take a look at your config.plist.  Whenever you ask for help or have a problem, post your config.plist.  Not that we don't trust you, but it's easy to make mistakes (trust me, I've made many).

EDIT: Also, according to this, Skylake graphics is only officially supported up to MacOS 12 (Monterey).  If you're trying to test with Ventura, I would recommend that you start testing with a version of MacOS that officially supports your graphics.  We can "spoof" another device-id after you confirm that graphics works with a macOS that officially supports it.  This is my suggestion. Others may suggest that you spoof the device-id with Ventura as your first test.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

@Alan Sojan If you're using OC 0.9.2 nightly build, that's ok.  It's just that I find that there are typically enough things to diagnose in a new system without worrying about the stability of a DEVELOPER build.  If you're using OC 0.9.2, keep it for now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@Alan Sojan If you're using OC 0.9.2 nightly build, that's ok.  It's just that I find that there are typically enough things to diagnose in a new system without worrying about the stability of a DEVELOPER build.  If you're using OC 0.9.2, keep it for now.

Hi, how do I check the version of OC I'm using? When I open it with Opencore configurator it says I have an old version of OC.

@Alan Sojan I'm not an OCAT user - nothing against it, I just don't use it.  If you run ocvalidate in the Open Core Utilities folder (in the version of Open Core that you downloaded), it will report the version.  I asked your version, because you're using quirk DisableIoMapperMapping which I think is not yet released (will be in OC 0.9.2 when it is released I think).

I will be able to look at this again later today and expect that others will have things to add here, too.  What I'll be looking at is the connectors in the frame buffers that you are using.  Here's where graphics patching gets tricky: just because you're using a frame buffer for HD530 doesn't mean that your graphics ports (e.g., HDMI) are mapped properly.  I looked at the EFI that @Rocky12 posted here and see that the OP isn't using HD530 iGPU.  I haven't patched Skylake iGPU before, so I'll be learning with you.

• Like 4

@Alan Sojan I'm not an OCAT user - nothing against it, I just don't use it.  If you run ocvalidate in the Open Core Utilities folder (in the version of Open Core that you downloaded), it will report the version.  I asked your version, because you're using quirk DisableIoMapperMapping which I think is not yet released.

I will be able to look at this again later today and expect that others will have things to add here, too.  What I'll be looking at is the connectors in the frame buffers that you are using.  Here's where graphics patching gets tricky: just because you're using a frame buffer for HD530 doesn't mean that your graphics ports (e.g., HDMI) are mapped properly.  I looked at the EFI that @Rocky12 posted here and see that the OP isn't using HD530 iGPU.  I haven't patched Skylake iGPU before, so I'll be learning with you.

EDIT: @Alan Sojan If you look at this, you will see that it defines each framebuffer (the definition associated with each AAPL,ig-platform-id).  For the skylake framebuffer in the config.plist that you posted (<02001619>, 0x19160002), the definition is:

ID: 19160002, STOLEN: 57 MB, FBMEM: 0 bytes, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x00830B02
TOTAL STOLEN: 58 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 172 MB, MAX OVERALL: 173 MB (181940224 bytes)
Model name: Intel Iris Graphics 540
Camellia: CamelliaV3 (3), Freq: 1388 Hz, FreqMax: 1388 Hz
Mobile: 1, PipeCount: 3, PortCount: 3, FBMemoryCount: 3
[0] busId: 0x00, pipe: 8, type: 0x00000002, flags: 0x00000498 - ConnectorLVDS
[1] busId: 0x05, pipe: 9, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - ConnectorDP
[2] busId: 0x04, pipe: 10, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - ConnectorDP
00000800 02000000 98040000
01050900 00040000 C7030000
02040A00 00040000 C7030000

Note that the framebuffer defines the type of each connector.  None of the connectors in the framebuffer that you have chosen are HDMI.  You have two options after you choose a framebuffer: 1) add patches that modify the connector type and 2) choose a different framebuffer that more closely matches that of your rig.  Slice provided you with some mobile framebuffers here.  I only see one framebuffer (AAPL,ig-platform-id) that includes an HDMI port:

• 0x193B0000      mobile  3       56 MB (Has 1 HDMI port):

ID: 193B0000, STOLEN: 34 MB, FBMEM: 21 MB, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x00001187
TOTAL STOLEN: 56 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 124 MB, MAX OVERALL: 125 MB (131608576 bytes)
Model name: Intel HD Graphics SKL CRB
Camellia: CamelliaDisabled (0), Freq: 1388 Hz, FreqMax: 1388 Hz
Mobile: 1, PipeCount: 3, PortCount: 3, FBMemoryCount: 3
[0] busId: 0x00, pipe: 8, type: 0x00000002, flags: 0x00000098 - ConnectorLVDS
[2] busId: 0x04, pipe: 10, type: 0x00000800, flags: 0x00000187 - ConnectorHDMI
[3] busId: 0x06, pipe: 10, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x00000187 - ConnectorDP
00000800 02000000 98000000
02040A00 00080000 87010000
03060A00 00040000 87010000

Please try AAPL,ig-platform-id = <00003B19> and report back.  If this framebuffer doesn't work for you, then we'll need to add more patches to define the connector type.  Note that <00003B19> is the framebuffer that worked for Slice as he reported here.

EDIT2: FYI: My laptop with Kabylake UHD620 has an HDMI port.  I use an HDMI -> VGA adapter without any problems.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

@deeveedee

When you try to help, you do it in depth. This is certainly great information for @Alan Sojan to try to fix the issue he is having with the Intel 530.

But I'll go back to the first post in the thread. @Alan Sojan if you can try again the original EFI, the one you used when you started the thread and macOS showed the Desktop fine but with 6 MB in iGPU, my idea is to try this same EFI with the only change to remove -igfxvesa from boot args. It is the only change in a first step.

If the bug is not resolved, the second step is to add igfxagdc=0 to boot args (without -igfxvesa, of course).

The third step is to test the one that @deeveedee has proposed, AAPL,ig-platform-id = 00003B19.

Always without -igfxvesa.

• Like 4

@miliuco Very good idea.  Note that the macOS desktop will show when graphics patching is broken.  One technique to getting macOS to boot on a new hack before graphics patches are known is to intentionally use an invalid framebuffer.  macOS Desktop will likely display, but without graphics acceleration.  Looking forward to the OP's test results.

EDIT: Note that the original EFI in Post #1 has no DeviceProperties.  I will be amazed if it works.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

@Alan Sojan

Yes, it's so. Trying after this (if it fails) others framebuffers, replacing only the value. E.g. those posted by @Slice and others: 00001619 / 02001619 / 00001E19 / 00002619 / 00002719 / 00001B19.

You must add the property framebuffer-patch-enable with value of 01000000 as Data, this key says to WhateverGreen to patch the framebuffer.

I don't use configurators, only plist files editor, to avoid errors when OpenCore Configurator doesn't match the OpenCore version. But the result must be like this:

Spoiler

occ.thumb.png.d1b52def2abf70022c2719a4310c373b.png

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, miliuco said:

@Alan Sojan

Yes, it's so. Trying after this (if it fails) others framebuffers, replacing only the value. E.g. those posted by @Slice and others: 00001619 / 02001619 / 00001E19 / 00002619 / 00002719 / 00001B19.

You must add the property framebuffer-patch-enable with value of 01000000 as Data, this key says to WhateverGreen to patch the framebuffer.

I don't use configurators, only plist files editor, to avoid errors when OpenCore Configurator doesn't match the OpenCore version. But the result must be like this:

Reveal hidden contents

occ.thumb.png.d1b52def2abf70022c2719a4310c373b.png

Hi, I tried all of the framebuffers with the framebuffer-patch-enable but it results in ":Whatever green igfx: @TCCE: failed to route the function istypeconlysystem" 

Maybe I need to try this as I have no option to select DVMT in BIOS.

Screenshot_20230416_162710_Edge.jpg

Edited by Alan Sojan

@Alan Sojan Please continue to post your current config.plist each time you report a problem and / or ask for help.  I could have sworn that frame buffer-stolenmem and framebuffer-fbmem were in one of the config.plist posted in this thread, so it's going to be hard to keep track of the changes unless you post your config.plist each time.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@Alan Sojan Please continue to post your current config.plist each time you report a problem and / or ask for help.  I could have sworn that frame buffer-stolenmem and framebuffer-fbmem were in one of the config.plist posted in this thread, so it's going to be hard to keep track of the changes unless you post your config.plist each time.

Config.plistThis is the config.plist. It makes my monitor screen turn off before the apple logo comes on

24 minutes ago, Alan Sojan said:

Please continue to post your current config.plist each time you report a problem and / or ask for help.

So many config.plists tips and tricks has been thrown at this project, it's hard to keep track and trace what was tried before therefore creating a possible case of going around in circles. So as @deeveedee suggested, it would be easier to post the current tried config.plist trial with each post so that failed fixes won't be repeated.

Although my offers were unsuccessful, I am watching the progress with interest wishing and hoping the help being offered by members will aid you to overcome the problem.

• Like 2

@Alan Sojan

6 hours ago, Alan Sojan said:

Hi, I tried all of the framebuffers with the framebuffer-patch-enable but it results in ":Whatever green igfx: @TCCE: failed to route the function istypeconlysystem" 

Maybe I need to try this as I have no option to select DVMT in BIOS?

Yes, try adding also framebuffer-stolenmem and framebuffer-fbmem. These values are fixed, 00003001 and 00009000. 

AAPL,ig-platform-id is the property to try different values.

• Like 1

@Alan Sojan Please try the attached config.plist.  It sets the connector types to HDMI (consistent with @Rocky12's post) and does a few other things.  I'm assuming that you are testing this with Monterey (not Ventura), you do not have a discrete graphics card (you are using the Intel iGPU) and your BIOS is configured to use the iGPU.  Please report your test results with this config.plist.  Thank you.

EDIT: Please attach your current config.plist to the post with your test results.

EDIT2: If config.plist doesn't work, please try the attached config2.plist (you'll need to rename it to config.plist to use it in your OpenCore EFI).  config2.plist includes boot-arg -disablegfxfirmware which we might need until graphics are working. I'm not sure about this boot-arg with Skylake, but I needed it when I was first trying to find a working solution for my CoffeeLake hack

Config.plist.zip

Config2.plist.zip

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@Alan Sojan Please try the attached config.plist.  It sets the connector types to HDMI (consistent with @Rocky12's post) and does a few other things.  I'm assuming that you are testing this with Monterey (not Ventura), you do not have a discrete graphics card (you are using the Intel iGPU) and your BIOS is configured to use the iGPU.  Please report your test results with this config.plist.  Thank you.

EDIT: Please attach your current config.plist to the post with your test results.

EDIT2: If config.plist doesn't work, please try the attached config2.plist (you'll need to rename it to config.plist to use it in your OpenCore EFI).  config2.plist includes boot-arg -disablegfxfirmware which we might need until graphics are working. I'm not sure about this boot-arg with Skylake, but I needed it when I was first trying to find a working solution for my CoffeeLake hack

Config.plist.zip 4.17 kB · 5 downloads

Config2.plist.zip 4.18 kB · 1 download

Hey, I tried both config.plist files and they both result in my monitor turning off. Here is my config2.plist

Config.plist

@Alan Sojan You're being patient - the most important thing about framebuffer patching.  And I've violated my own "rule" which is "provide guidance, but don't do it for you."  I hope you're starting to learn enough about the trial-and-error framebuffer patching process to start making some of your own guesses and experiments.  Try the attached config.plist which specifies framebuffer 19120000 and changes con1 port type to HDMI.

Here are some things that I'm considering if the attached doesn't work:

• We may be having an issue with your HDMI->VGA adapter.  Do you have a monitor with HDMI input and an HDMI-HDMI cable?
  • Note in my post here that I needed to experiment with BusIds.  BusIDs in framebuffer patching are still black magic to me.  I'll be honest when I tell you that I got lucky by guessing BusIds that worked.
  • If you don't have an HDMI monitor and HDMI-HDMI cable, we may need to experiment with other port types (instead of HDMI).

Looking forward to your test results with the attached config.plist.

Config.plist.zip

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3