Mapping USB Ports Discussions

Guest 5T33Z0

74 posts in this topic

Guest 5T33Z0

@miliuco Uing ACPI to map USB ports is the most apppropriate way to doi it. Once you get USB port mapping right in ACPI you will never ever have any issues again with USB – in any macOS version! And I have actually written a guide about it. 

https://github.com/5T33Z0/OC-Little-Translated/tree/main/03_USB_Fixes/ACPI_Mapping_USB_Ports

Edited by 5T33Z0

40 minutes ago, miliuco said:

But I'm already telling you that for me it's too difficult.

Bro that is why our friend @texem done mine for me, the method was way above my level of understanding.:lol:

• Haha 1

@5T33Z0 - Thanks for the link and the detailed Guide, I will have a go at doing it just to understand the process and to prevent me from relying on others. :graduated:

Edited by eSaF

Guest 5T33Z0

@eSaF Take your time. At some point it makes click. If it won't I'd suggest using the USBTool method under windows.

Edited by 5T33Z0

Thank you @5T33Z0 and @MaLd0n

I have bookmarked OC_Litte_Translated as an important site for our community, a lot of well-written information not always easy to find.

And what about Mald0n whose ACPI language skills are very very great.

I promise to study the 533Z0 guide but I think it is still beyond my understanding 🙂

Edited by miliuco
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, miliuco said:

I promise to study the 533Z0 guide but I think it is still beyond my understanding 🙂

Bro I think you and I will be in Class together, just hope @5T33Z0 will have the tolerance to teach us. :lol:

• Haha 3

Guest 5T33Z0
19 hours ago, miliuco said:

Believe me I've read it but with my mouth open and my mind stuck 😀

Imagine how i felt trying to create a layout-id – and the guide – at the same time Btw, it is done and working working. Only took me about a month for both… Waiting for approval of the PR for the new Layout I created. Anyway, back to topic:

1. Use the USBTool method (esp. Option 1 since it's SMBIOS-independant) if your overwhelmed by the ACPI approach: https://github.com/5T33Z0/OC-Little-Translated/tree/main/03_USB_Fixes#method-1-mapping-usb-ports-with-tools

2. Number one reason for sleep/wake issues on systems with internal BT/Wifi cards: USB port for BT/WiFi being configured as an external port.

@5T33Z0

At last!!! I have only been about 3 hours until I got the custom ACPI table with my USB port map.

As I already have a previously generated port map, I have followed option 1 of your instructions.

It is really very well explained but I also tell you that it must be done with time and paying attention to everything that is done.

I'll tell you some things:

• the original table (SSDT6.aml on my system) is not dropped if I don't type the correct length in config.plist, I say this because in your text you have the length at 0
  • in the ports I remove for macOS, I made a mistake copying as is the code from your site for the _PLD method (in Else >> Return) until I realized that I have to leave the code that has my own table
  • with this map all the ports are configured as USB3, even the internal ones, but the Fenvi Bluetooth adapter connected to an internal USB2 port works fine, is it necessary to change those internal ports to Internal instead of USB3 (I don't see the option in your text) or do I leave it like that?

Thank you very much for your effort, really is an excellent work, I did not think I would be able to carry it out.

@eSaF Go!!! 😀

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0
3 hours ago, miliuco said:

I'll tell you some things:

• the original table (SSDT6.aml on my system) is not dropped if I don't type the correct length in config.plist, I say this because in your text you have the length at 0
  • in the ports I remove for macOS, I made a mistake copying as is the code from your site for the _PLD method (in Else >> Return) until I realized that I have to leave the code that has my own table
  • with this map all the ports are configured as USB3, even the internal ones, but the Fenvi Bluetooth adapter connected to an internal USB2 port works fine, is it necessary to change those internal ports to Internal instead of USB3 (I don't see the option in your text) or do I leave it like that?

Thank you very much for your effort, really is an excellent work, I did not think I would be able to carry it out.

Reveal hidden contents

ports.png.c3a707fe8a80eadb6d950a1aab946495.png

Congrats!

• About Dropping dropping USB Table: For me it works by OEM Table ID alone. But I'll make a Note
  • I have listed all the relevant types of ports in a table in the guide - even the one required for BT: 852350756_Bildschirmfoto2022-06-24um18_00_49.thumb.png.69b7d9ac815b5ada062fac04dc6f0ace.png

You should fix the Internal ports for Bluetooth in your table. Otherwise this can cause Sleep/Wake issues.

Edited by 5T33Z0

@5T33Z0

Thank you again.

I've put

Method (_UPC, 0, NotSerialized)  // _UPC: USB Port Capabilities
			{
				Return (GUPC (0xFF, 0xFF))
			}

instead of 

Method (_UPC, 0, NotSerialized)  // _UPC: USB Port Capabilities
			{
				Return (GUPC (0xFF, 0x03))
			}

And the internal ports are shown now as Internal. This completes the job for now 🙂

I'll try ports and sleep and comment.

Spoiler

1832597654_15puertos.png.99aa4f45d1286207d1acdaf58f7ce2a6.png

Edited by miliuco

Guest 5T33Z0

@antuneddu Can't just throw any other method  and variable in the mix that's not defined in the table. Gengkis method is his method. This method is the ACPI compliant method.

Edited by 5T33Z0

3 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@antuneddu Can't just throw any other method  and variable in the mix that's not defined in the table. Gengkis method is his method. This method is the ACPI compliant method.

Yes of course I just meant that the connectors for the USB2 have not been defined or am I wrong? Whatever the method used

@antuneddu 

If I remember well, Hackintool app and USBMap.command methods set 03 for USB2 and USB2/USB3 ports. In fact, my USBPorts.kext and USBMap.kext used for 2 years have 03 in both port types. Even UTBMap.kext from USBToolBox also have only 03 and Internal. @5T33Z0 guide goes also in this direction.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, miliuco said:

@antuneddu

I've never heard of @gengik84 method. I'm curious, where can I read about it?

EDIT: found it in your macos86.it forum, right?

But don't worry ... I don't want to create confusion go on like this 👍

.... just to say that this too is based on acpi method

183873171_Schermata2022-06-24alle22_40_58.thumb.png.8cd426a0015c663aa15e01273aab8a3d.png

• Like 1

@antuneddu

I see. It seems that there are different ways to map USB ports with the ACPI method. Actually the code is similar because the concept is almost the same.

That difference that you say when configuring the pure USB2 as 00 or as 03 is the one that can generate doubts.

Of course, following @5T33Z0 guide everything seems to work fine, including sleep.

In my system there is only one connector that is imo 255 but it could be also 00. It is an internal USB2 hub that services a group of 4 external rear black USB2 ports. In the ACPI table it is shown as a single HS13 port so it seems more logical to me to set 255 (this is the value I set when following @5T33Z0 guide). I have tried setting 00 on that HS13 connector and I really don't see any difference, everything seems to work just as well.

Edited by miliuco