8 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

Can somebody explain the difference between "trim force enable" and trim kernel patch?

You can see more here:

In a nutshell:

trim force enable = for Apple Hardware that didn't came with Apple SSDs

the patch = for Hackintoshes (I guess)

Both do the same.

3 minutes ago, Allan said:

You can see more here:

In a nutshell:

trim force enable = for Apple Hardware that didn't came with Apple SSDs

the patch = for Hackintoshes (I guess)

Both do the same.

As far as I understand, most modern Drives has builtin garbage collection included in the firmware specially M.2 drives. I have 2 M.2 Drives in my system and did not load any Trim patches but both are showing Trim is indeed activated.

• Like 2

The trimforce enable command may be used on Hackintosh but it does not always work. I don't know why nor what the command does exactly but I guess it makes changes somewhere that informs the kernel or the system that trimming can be applied on non-Apple/3rd party SSDs. You'll see some disk activity after applying the command and system will reboot.

TRIMFORCE(8)                             System Manager's Manual                            TRIMFORCE(8)

NAME

trimforce – enable TRIM commands on third-party drives

SYNOPSIS

trimforce verb

DESCRIPTION

trimforce enables sending TRIM commands to third-party drives attached to an AHCI controller.  By

default, TRIM commands are not sent to third-party drives.  Use extreme caution when enabling TRIM,

as some drives may not correctly handle the commands.  trimforce must be run by the system

administrator.

VERBS

enable

Start sending TRIM commands to AHCI-attached third-party drives. Requires a reboot to take

effect.

disable

Stop sending TRIM commands to AHCI-attached third-party drives. Requires a reboot to take

effect.

help

Display brief usage syntax.

ERRORS

trimforce will exit with status 0 if successful, or with an appropriate error if it cannot parse

input, allocate memory, or is unauthorized to perform its work.

HISTORY

The trimforce utility first appeared in OS X 10.10.4.

OS X                                          27 April 2015                                         OS X

The kext (not kernel) binary patch operates differently. It changes the binary code of the IOAHCIBlockStorage kext (on the fly via the kextcache or in the kext's code itself depending on implementation choice) and removes a reference to Apple SSDs that restricts trimming to such disks. The patch always works, hence why a lot of people apply it on Hackintosh.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298507-enable-trim-on-non-apple-ssd/?do=findComment&comment=2145612

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not to prolong the Trim debate but I remembered using the Trim patch in a previous OS X version booting with Clover on SSD Drives and even then there was a debate whether it was a good thing to do as some claimed it was unnecessary also it slowed down boot times. When I switched my drives over to M.2, I noticed Trim was automatically enabled without applying the Trim patch so I left alone. I don't profess to know whether to Trim or not to Trim but reading @Hervé and other posts, I tend to follow the general consensus and hope for the best.

Spoiler

123904257_Screenshot2021-08-17at20_25_09.png.b5485b25ed2c8aa4cf6023af4f873b50.png1592817070_Screenshot2021-08-17at20_25_35.png.6bc664c07d5e86bdc34979b084319236.png

But you're right @eSaF.

I notice that with the NVMe drivers we don't need to worry about, but using SATA SSDs we need to enable it.

Now with the newer versions of macOS, we can just run the native command.

If we put a SATA SSD on a real Mac, to prolong the life of it is a good idea to run that command.

• Thanks 1

Hi @eSaF

I observed that your your Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus is showing up under Apple SSD Controller. I have the same disk but mine are showing up under a Generic SSD Controller. Could this have to do with which version of Big Sur you are running, (I'm on 11.5.2) or could it be something else? Any suggestion?

Spoiler

200895487_Screenshot2021-08-17at23_00_41.thumb.png.2fea10a521354c60df2286c768f9c4a0.png

Edited by obus

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, obus said:

Hi @eSaF

I observed that your your Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus is showing up under Apple SSD Controller. I have the same disk but mine are showing up under a Generic SSD Controller. Could this have to do with which version of Big Sur you are running, (I'm on 11.5.2) or could it be something else? Any suggestion?

Reveal hidden contents

200895487_Screenshot2021-08-17at23_00_41.thumb.png.2fea10a521354c60df2286c768f9c4a0.png

Use this. But change to your IOPCIPrimaryMatch. I saw improvement on stability after using this kext. The question is: put this in front of NVMeFix.kext or after, in opencore config?

X299NVMe.kext.zip

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 3