Can't update Big Sur 11.3 to 11.4

obus

46 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, obus said:

Thank's @yapan4

I have done this at least ten times. Tested 4 different bios without success. Last crash report is indicating something with HFS so I swapped my HFSPlus driver to to OpenHFSPlus but that dosen't change anything. My rig is booting fine 8 out of ten times but straight after logging in I get KP. Attached is some crash log-files I took out from my 11.4 boot disk, maybe there is one person out there how could draw some conclusions from those, but for me it says nothing. Tested @HenryV suggestion about setting csr-active-config to 67080000 with no joy.

Diagnostic_Reports.zipFetching info...

Minimal bootlaoder kexts, drivers and boot args, TPM off and hidden in BIOS, VT-x off in BIOS, true EFI boot mode.

Have you used any overclocking settings in the BIOS for CPU or system memory?  If you have more than one memory module?  If so,  are they both the same speed/compatible? 

Have you run a test on your system memory?  If more than one module take one out and leave the other in primary slot while booting.

Have you removed, cleaned your system memory module(s) electrical contacts, (light pencil eraser or light alcohol with/thorough dry) and reseated your system memory modules?

Are you sure your CPU is ok?

Sporatic hardware failures can be hard to diagnose, and if the BIOS is misconfigured and/or the system EFI firmware is outdated you may have erratic functionality.  Outdated hard drive firmware included.

Can you boot and run a linux live distribution without the problems you are experiencing?

Download a current ISO of Ubuntu or Linux Mint and make a usb installer and boot from that and see if you have the same problems.

Edited by HenryV
  • Like 1

@HenryV

Minimal bootlaoder kexts, drivers and boot args, TPM off and hidden in BIOS, VT-x off in BIOS, true EFI boot mode.

YES

Have you used any overclocking settings in the BIOS for CPU or system memory?  If you have more than one memory module?  If so,  are they both the same speed/compatible? 

Never overclocked. Same brand and same specification.

Have you run a test on your system memory?  If more than one module take one out and leave the other in primary slot while booting.

Memory tested wit Rebel and no problem. Tested with one, two,three respectively four modules and same behaviour.

Have you removed, cleaned your system memory module(s) electrical contacts, (light pencil eraser or light alcohol with/thorough dry) and reseated your system memory modules?

Nope. I have no problems with my memory modules. They are not faulty.

Yes. Working without error in both Windows, Big Sur 11.3 and Ubuntu.

Sporatic hardware failures can be hard to diagnose, and if the BIOS is misconfigured and/or the system EFI firmware is outdated you may have erratic functionality.  Outdated hard drive firmware included.

Tested with the latest bios 3504 released 2021 03 25. Same behaviour.

Can you boot and run a linux live distribution without the problems you are experiencing?

Yes without any problems with full graphics.

Download a current ISO of Ubuntu or Linux Mint and make a usb installer and boot from that and see if you have the same problems.

Works like a charm without any graphical problems.

@obus I tried opening the IORegistry dump you posted, but it wouldn't open for me.  Maybe not IORegistryExplorer2.1?  Looks like you're getting plenty of good advice.  Good luck.

@obus You mentioned that you switched from Samsung to Intel SSD. Note here that there is also Intel SSD on the "do not use" list.  I use WD Black with no problems and performance is outstanding.

Edited by tonyx86

10 hours ago, obus said:

@HenryV

YES

Never overclocked. Same brand and same specification.

Memory tested wit Rebel and no problem. Tested with one, two,three respectively four modules and same behaviour.

Nope. I have no problems with my memory modules. They are not faulty.

Yes. Working without error in both Windows, Big Sur 11.3 and Ubuntu.

Tested with the latest bios 3504 released 2021 03 25. Same behaviour.

Yes without any problems with full graphics.

Works like a charm without any graphical problems.

Then based on Linux working without a problem, I would expect you have a configuration issue.  Have you booted with clover to try the update?

Look here for an EFI to try, similar to your hardware:

https://github.com/topics/hackintosh?o=desc&s=updated

Edited by HenryV
add info

20 minutes ago, HenryV said:

Then based on Linux working without a problem, I would expect you have a configuration issue.  Have you booted with clover to try the update?

Clever diagnostic techniques!  Couldn't this also be a hardware compatibility issue?  For example, Windows works fine with Samsung SSDs by macOS does not (regardless of configuration).

15 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

Clever diagnostic techniques!  Couldn't this also be a hardware compatibility issue?  For example, Windows works fine with Samsung SSDs by macOS does not (regardless of configuration).

There's a lot you can do with linux because it is built for gearheads. 

Yes, there could be hardware support issues with mac OS that are not there with linux, including hardware firmware updates.

But the general idea is to try to narrow down the issue(s) as much as possible.

Linux's terminal command lspci-k output will show what modules are loaded for hardware.  If something was not working there you would have reason to suspect hardware failure.

Some issues can be inexplicable, at least for the moment.

A good example would be how Open Core 0.7.0 somehow does not boot/inject Big Sur nor Monterey intel wifi kexts with functionality, but Clover boots/injects both Big Sur and Monterey intel wifi kexts loaded and functioning.

Nice work by Slice.

Edited by HenryV
correct typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 8:44 PM, HenryV said:

A good example would be how Open Core 0.7.0 somehow does not boot/inject Big Sur nor Monterey intel wifi kexts with functionality, but Clover boots/injects both Big Sur and Monterey intel wifi kexts loaded and functioning.

Thank's for you input @HenryV 

This is not a OC 0.7.0 problem but a Big Sur 11.4 driver problem. I tested disconnecting my two intel i210 GB lan in bios and after that everything was working like a charm. Same behaviour if I use OC 0.6.9 which in my opinion should exclude OC from causing my boot-failures. My Ethernet cards is not faulty because they work well in both Big Sur 11.3 and Windows 10. I think the support for my intel i210 card has reached end of the road in Big Sur 11.4.

Is there any help for this? 

Edited by obus

On 6/18/2021 at 8:44 PM, HenryV said:

Hi again @HenryV

I think you hit your head on the nail! (old Swedish proverb) about the problems for OC to inject drivers properly for some kexts. My friend @yapan4 with a similar setup (MB and Cpu) is booting with Clover without any problems. I can now boot and update Big Sur 11.4 without problems on OC 0.7.0 just by disconnecting my two Ethernetcables. All with my good old working EFI from Big Sur 11.3.  This must be a bug in OC 0.6.9 and 0.7.0 as I can see it. I will fill in a bug report as soon as possible.  

Edited by obus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, obus said:

My friend @yapan4 with a similar setup (MB and Cpu) is booting with Clover without any problems. ...  This must be a bug in OC 0.6.9 and 0.7.0 as I can see it. I will fill in a bug report as soon as possible.  

When's the last time anyone said this?  I am still secretly cheering for CLOVER. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okey guys.

Has now tested with Clover 5137 and my Ethernet card is injected as it should and both update and new install of Big Sur 11.4 is working flawlessly.

Thank's for your support. :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, obus said:

Okey guys.

Has now tested with Clover 5137 and my Ethernet card is injected as it should and both update and new install of Big Sur 11.4 is working flawlessly.

Thank's for your support. :thumbsup_anim:

Don't neglect to backup your partiton table.  SuperDuper v3.5 beta3 will backup your new upgrade to bootable media.

Well, I think I have the same issue. macOS 11.3.1 worked like a charm, then I decided to update. I have the same random KP right after I log in (and sometimes macOS hangs right before). Additionally I can see random apps crashes before it KPs. Now I pulled my ethernet cable off the socket and the system is stable. Thanks for the clue.

The problem is the new LAN driver com.apple.DriverKit-AppleEthernetE1000.dext. In 11.4 my network Intel I210 chip managed with this new driver. Fortunately, the old driver AppleIntelI210Ethernet is still there, so we force it to load instead of that 'latest and greatest' {censored}. 

Grab the attached kext and add it into your OpenCore config. 

LAN-WSPRO.kext.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, etorix said:

That may be useful to many, not just X299 users…

How come real Macs with i210 LAN are not affected?

Yep, it could be useful for those who have Intel I210 chip on motherboard and encountered the similar issue. 

No any real idea about Macs, probably non-Apple chips have some differences which Apple didn't expect. The chip in my motherboard named as 'I210-AT', so it could have the same ID as Apple's one but implementation details could be slightly different. Again, it's just my guessing.

Edited by joedm ru

16 hours ago, joedm ru said:

The problem is the new LAN driver com.apple.DriverKit-AppleEthernetE1000.dext. In 11.4 my network Intel I210 chip managed with this new driver. Fortunately, the old driver AppleIntelI210Ethernet is still there, so we force it to load instead of that 'latest and greatest' {censored}. 

Grab the attached kext and add it into your OpenCore config. 

LAN-WSPRO.kext.zip 1.26 kB · 3 downloads

Worked like a charm on my rig. interesting to know why this problem is handled better by Clover than by OC. Maybe @Slice can explain this? 

Is this a bug in OC or is it a bug in Big Sur 11.4?

• Like 3

• 4 months later...