[Release] macOS Big Sur 11.0.1

Wayang-NT
107 posts in this topic

It's only happening on 1080p streaming sites (usually high demanding ones for example HEVC FLAC videos) (except YouTube).

Well, it's a bug with Big Sur because as I said it's happening on 5 system including real Macs too. It's not happening on Catalina.

On Activity Monitor View settings enable "All processes" and watch kernel_task.

Ways to reproduce:

Open a 1080p streaming site (for ex. some series streamer sites or smth like that) and start a video.

Pause it, go to another tab, then go back.

Unpause it.

Watch kernel_task goes all the way up

Edited by kushwavez

29 minutes ago, kushwavez said:

Ways to reproduce:

Open a 1080p streaming site (for ex. some series streamer sites or smith like that) and start a video.

Unpause it.

I tried to follow your instructions as best as I can to induce the kind of behavior by opening and playing a film on Netflix and took a screen shot to see if it is the same on mine - Have a look and see if I am missing something here or I didn't quite follow your directions.

PS - I just came across this - https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/663850 - someone posted about the same problem.

Spoiler

1949915144_ScreenShot2020-12-09at19_29_22.thumb.png.d90316ca129c9440de036a2ed19496d0.png

Edited by eSaF
Added a PS

9 hours ago, kushwavez said:

It's only happening on 1080p streaming sites (usually high demanding ones for example HEVC FLAC videos) (except YouTube).

Well, it's a bug with Big Sur because as I said it's happening on 5 system including real Macs too. It's not happening on Catalina.

On Activity Monitor View settings enable "All processes" and watch kernel_task.

Ways to reproduce:

Open a 1080p streaming site (for ex. some series streamer sites or smth like that) and start a video.

Unpause it.

I tried to replicate this problem and found that I could replicate it but only on certain websites.  The problem did not occur on YouTube or Netflix.  Knowing what people often stream at 1080p, I checked other sites and streaming 1080p gobbled up my memory.  It was worse streaming 2160p.  Don't blame your system for the websites you choose to frequent.  Perhaps another browser will serve you better.  Otherwise, use Activity Monitor to decide which websites to avoid.

Here, a pretty good example of the problem. Well, I have to use Chrome because of this, but I don't like it because then I can't use iCloud tabs, etc. If it'll not improve in later versions of Big Sur, then I'll going back to Catalina unfortunately. That's why I wondered if I could downgrade Safari to 13 or not.

https://streamable.com/bkojg7

• Confused 1