BootloaderChooser

Jief_Machak
98 posts in this topic

Hi. I tried BootloaderChooser to pick either Clover or OpenCore to boot from a USB stick. The first I time I booted from the stick, the menu appeared and I could choose OC (074) or Clover (r5139). This worked fine - for one time. On the next reboot, there was no menu and it automatically started the last used bootloader.

I then saw that there is a file called "BLC.plist" which has a timeout of "0" by default. After I changed it to "10" the Chooser menu was back. So maybe having a default timeout greater than 0 seconds makes more sense, since this is about choosing the bootpicker. Besides that it works really well so far. Great for testing things. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much Jief for this great piece of work¡¡¡

Do you have plans to update? It seems that going to the latest regular bootx64.efi allows Monterey B7 install without issues ... But I would prefer yours to easily select the boot loader for my hack

Thank again¡¡

2 hours ago, DocXavier said:

Thank you so much Jief for this great piece of work¡¡¡

Do you have plans to update? It seems that going to the latest regular bootx64.efi allows Monterey B7 install without issues ... But I would prefer yours to easily select the boot loader for my hack

Thank again¡¡

I don't understand. BLC doesn't boot anything. It's just start Clover or OC. If you want to boot Monterey, you need a working Clover or OC, with or without BLC, doesn't matter.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DocXavier said:

I will continue using your application, for me it is very useful. 

Thanks.

And yes, since now we can name CLOVER and OC as we want, it's very handy to have, for example, a failsafe Clover. That way, if something goes wrong with your main Clover, you don't need an USB stick...

45 minutes ago, Jief_Machak said:

[...] since now we can name CLOVER and OC as we want [...]

Salut Jief so wait-- not sure what you mean on this (I must have missed some latest Clover developments)

You mean that your BootloaderChooser will just detect any EFI binary?

So if I add Clover r5140 and name it to JIEF.EFI, your loader will detect it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi @Jief_Machak

I am using BootloaderChooser since the beginning and it is indeed very useful and nice tool for changing between OC and Clover.

Just an idea: What about detecting bootmgfw.efi too for Windows?

That would be very useful for OC users, who just can't boot Windows because OC is injecting SSDTs to Windows too and will give ACPI/Blue Screen/Other errors, and they have to use two bootloaders to boot into Win.

And if they just select /EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi from BootloaderChooser it'll start booting Win right away.

I don't think that Windows allows it's boot path to be modified without manually editing bcdedit {bootmgr}, so I think hard-coding the path would be enough (and easier too).

What do you think?

@kushwavez I'd like to see this feature too, but I think this only works if Windows is installed on the same disk as macOS. Otherwise you need some sort of config to manually add the GUID path to the Windows Bootmanager present on another disk.

On 1/19/2022 at 12:39 PM, kushwavez said:

I don't think that Windows allows it's boot path to be modified without manually editing bcdedit {bootmgr}, so I think hard-coding the path would be enough (and easier too).

Clover is able to boot Windows by chainloading  /EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi without any BCD modification.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, btwise said:

@Jief_Machak

Is it possible to add a config file selection menu in the OC boot picker to reload different config.plist files?

Hi @btwise BLC is only, from my point of view, a BootLoader Chooser that allows to start different versions of CLOVERX64. It is once on Clover GUI that you can choose a different config.plist.  Personally, I rename CLOVERX64 to test the commits (for example CLOVERX64-5145-c64e643.efi.) While keeping a working version.
Nevertheless, nothing prevents to have several CLOVER folders with a config.plist for each. For example, /CLOVER_macPro, /Clover_Macmini, beside to /CLOVER
This is just my opinion. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2021 at 7:57 AM, STLVNUB said:

Any chance of getting the source code, I have idea and it will help me to achieve it

OR I tell you idea and you can do it

I Say Again, Even Your First Version Or A WalkThru In What You Did, I Have Some Ideas

To Enhance Your Great Loader

On 6/7/2022 at 11:00 PM, STLVNUB said:

I Say Again, Even Your First Version Or A WalkThru In What You Did, I Have Some Ideas

To Enhance Your Great Loader

Sorry, didn't see your previous message.

Yes, I'll publish. I'll need a week or 2 as I'm not home...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 6:55 AM, Jief_Machak said:

Sorry, didn't see your previous message.

Yes, I'll publish. I'll need a week or 2 as I'm not home...

Any Updates On This??

• Like 2

• 4 months later...