ASUS A8JS

152 posts in this topic

An overall update to the current installation result (tested with uphuck v1.3):

Installation selections:

Intel 10.4.9

Intel SSE3-2 kernel

No patch selected (seems the "Remove Thermal XXX" patches have not much affect on this)

Driver: ICH7R / AppleAzalie / Realtek R1000 / Intel Power Management / SpeedStep

App: Anything you like

DETAIL result for each component:

1. Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0Ghz -- Both core works fine and detect correct. CPU at around 50'C in idle
  2. 2G RAM - Detected as 2GB -- Works fine
  3. nVidia GeForce Go 7700 512MB -- Both Natit / Titan cause fail to load. nVidia Mobility has not effect. MacVidia 1.0.81 doesn't work on uphuck v1.3. (I tried on Jas 10.4.6 and MacVidia works. 1440x900 without QE/CI. However, both the DVI and VGA output will not work. Using Function key to switch screen will cause the built-in screen mess up)
  4. Realtek R8186 -- Works right after the installation.
  5. Sound AD1986A chip -- Works right after the installation (no need manual info.plist amendment at all). However, no line-in / line-out and microphone. Only the built-in speaker works. Can't use function key to control mute and volume
  6. Sleep mode -- Seems the notebook and sleep but once wake it up, only the OS operate but screen shows nothing. So eventually, you need to power down. Not sure about the battery monitoring works or not
  7. WiFi Intel 3945 -- No luck
  8. USB / FireWire / Bluetooth / DVD Burner works
  9. No PCMCIA card to try. Infra red unknown.
  10. Can't get the USB cam and card reader to work yet

So if you are using Uphuck v1.3 to install, actually it is very straight forward and there is little you can tweak. You can get LAN and Sound to work but that's it (at this moment). WiFi and Display accel are still the fatal drawback. I will get an Atheros whenever the display can go up to 1440x900 under 10.4.9 even no QE/CI. However I tried 3 days on this but still no luck. Will the up-coming nVidiaEFI be the ultimate solution for all of us who are using 512M display? (Which should be more and more common nowadays).

Thanks! Hope others A8Js / G1 users can share more! ^_^

I used uphuck v1.3 to install and it enable sound immed.. Welcoming movie plays with sound. Also tried manual install on Jas 10.4.6 and it is also ok. Please check out the instruction of joshlawless on post #22 in this thread.

Actually I found only this is needed:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

replace the value for

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

with

<string>0x27D88086</string>

I found that the following doesn't matter:

/system/library/extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/info.plist

replace the value for

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

with

<string>0x11D41986</string>

(Should it be 0x198611D4?)

However, still now luck on function key control and line in/out/mic.

• 1 month later...

I have an A8js too. I installed OSX 10.4.9(uphunk1.3) successfully on my Desktop few days ago. So I wish I can use OSX on my A8js.

I recently won't use bluetooth, wireless. Only video, audio and eathernet are needed. Audio and eathernet work well with drivers within unhunk 1.3.

For video, I tried Macvidia, Natit, NVidiaEFI. Neither of them can give me the resolution 1440x900. But I installed NVidiaEFI(the last version), and used parameter "-v" to boot OSX, I saw some messages:

NV: NVidiaEFI Support Version 1.0.2(3), build 0305071524

NV: Internal LCD Panel Detected On Output: A, Head N: 0

NV: Internal LCD Panel Max Resolution: 1440x900

The right resolution was detected. But why I can't use this resolution?

And I find these in /var/log/windowserver.log:

Aug 17 23:11:09 [73] Server is starting up

Aug 17 23:11:09 [73] CGXMappedDisplayStart: Unit 0: no display alias property

Aug 17 23:11:09 [73] CGXPerformInitialDisplayConfiguration

Aug 17 23:11:09 [73] Display 0x5b81c5c0: MappedDisplay Unit 0; Vendor 0x756e6b6e Model 0x717 S/N 0; online enabled (0,0)[1024 x 768], base addr 0x3008000

I don't need qe or ci right now. Can anybody help me on 1440x900? I saw most people here in this thread can successfully get this resolution.

To MrFuzzemz:

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7700 512MB - Detected properly with Titan and MacVidia 1.0.81 -1440x900 but no QE/CI

Can you teach me how can i get to this? Video Ram 512MB is detected properly? Most poeple only got 256MB here.

To e-ghost:

Hi! I saw you on a Chinese forum in it168.com. I'm a Chinese too. Can I add you to my Gtalk, MSN Messager or QQ as a friend? We can exchange all things about A8js in our mother language.

We have been able to get native resolution with MacVidia, but not in 10.4.9. It works well with 10.4.8. If you want to talk NVidiaEFI the best thing to do would be to head over to the MacVidia forums on NVidiaEFI where it is being developed. Good luck! And be sure to report back here if you get anything!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Good news everyone,

I followed the Tutorial by Jingo found http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...0&start=795 and now have QE/CI working with the 7700 and my A8JS!

Edit: Natit File for you convenience attached

Wow. I never thought the day would come. Which install DVD did you use? And is it 10.4.9 or 10.4.10?

Would I only have to use this Natit file or would I also have to process my EDID?

Thanks so much!

Hi,

I used 10.4.10, but I think you can use 10.4.9 if you get the Nvidia kexts from 10.4.10, maybe even without that, but I wouldn't be too sure about that!

You don't have to do the EDID part, just drop my kext in the /System/Library/Extensions folder and chmod / chown.

Oh and delete the Extensions.kextcache and .mkext before reboot as well, that's it.

Lacks dual monitor support thou, but I'm nevertheless thrilled :blink:

Hi,

I used 10.4.10, but I think you can use 10.4.9 if you get the Nvidia kexts from 10.4.10, maybe even without that, but I wouldn't be too sure about that!

You don't have to do the EDID part, just drop my kext in the /System/Library/Extensions folder and chmod / chown.

Oh and delete the Extensions.kextcache and .mkext before reboot as well, that's it.

Lacks dual monitor support thou, but I'm nevertheless thrilled :D

Which DVD did you use to install 10.4.10? or did you upgrade to 10.4.10? If so, how did you upgrade to 10.4.10?

Thanks so much! I am very excited to get this going.

Hi there,

I am happy that I was already able to help someone with my new QE/CI method without flashing.

To answer your question, my method was developped on 10.4.10, but I have a second partition with 10.4.9. It works fine also on 10.4.9, but for that you have to get all the GeForce*, NVDA* kexts and also the OpenGL.framework folder from 10.4.10. Delete all your 10.4.9 GeForce*, NVDA* kexts and your 10.4.9 OpenGL.framework folder. Copy your 10.4.10 kexts to /System/Library/Extensions/ and your 10.4.10 OpenGL.framework to /System/Library/Frameworks/.

Get xOny's Natit kext from a few post earlier, repair permissions follow his tips and you should be good to go with QE/CI on your 10.4.9

Hey MrFuzzemz,

the installation-DVD I used was 10.4.10 by mac.nub, but I think any 10.4.10 will work, just don't install any custom kexts that come with them and just bear with the 1024 resolution at first. The modified Natit kext I postet earlier is all you need on 10.4.10.

Oh and Jingu, sorry for the typo in your name! And thanks again for your method, nothing else worked for me up to now...

Hey MrFuzzemz,

the installation-DVD I used was 10.4.10 by mac.nub, but I think any 10.4.10 will work, just don't install any custom kexts that come with them and just bear with the 1024 resolution at first. The modified Natit kext I postet earlier is all you need on 10.4.10.

Oh and Jingu, sorry for the typo in your name! And thanks again for your method, nothing else worked for me up to now...

Wow. It works! I've waited so long for this. It still says only 256MB VRAM in system profiler. Did you not edit that in Natit?

Actually, I kinda did... hrm. Oh well, has anyone tried it in Leopard, yet?

I checked it out and noticed that you did indeed set it up for 512MB. If you use the openGL extension viewer it does say 512MB so it is likely just some issue with the system profiler.

As far as Leopard goes, I've installed it and run it. I get native resolution on first boot (after the apple loading screen goes to blue, the screen turns black and I'm left with nothing but the cursor or beach ball--in native resolution!.) If this issue is solved then things would go very nicely. Sound works as well.

Hi!

Sorry my English isn't so good but I will do my best...

After I installed XOny's Natit.kext the screen remains black when it loads the gui. The machine still seems to repond to mouse/keybord input (hardrive led is "reacting")

My System:

Asus A8Js

Uphuck 10.4.9 1.3r2

10.4.10 Update + ToH 8.10.1 Kernel

Do I need to change any Geforce*, NV* files or any other packages? What could be the problem? Please help

Got it working now :-)

Reinstalled Mac OS, now with xxx 10.4.10 dvd. I just had to install xOny's Natit.kext then. Thank you Jingu and XOny!

I heard your software solution isn't working 100% (crashes with some 3d apps). Could someone give me some more information about that?

Hey,

yeah it crashes with Chess for example, although the day to day things like FrotRow and stuff do work. Any solutions on this, anybody?

Oh and yeah, Leopard plays nicely with NVInjectGo, got full resolution and pseudo QE / CI just like in 10.4.10.

It's quite simple to install, but if somebody wants me to post the files just tell me...

Anybody had any luck on getting the sound line-out to work?

Edit: Oh and BTW Dual Monitor and Rotation do work (occasionally) in Leopard, if you plug in the monitor _after_ startup!

Edit2: Files at http://rapidshare.com/files/68983445/A8JsLeopardRC2.zip

Hey,

yeah it crashes with Chess for example, although the day to day things like FrotRow and stuff do work. Any solutions on this, anybody?

Oh and yeah, Leopard plays nicely with NVInjectGo, got full resolution and pseudo QE / CI just like in 10.4.10.

It's quite simple to install, but if somebody wants me to post the files just tell me...

Edit: Oh and BTW Dual Monitor and Rotation do work (occasionally) in Leopard, if you plug in the monitor _after_ startup!

I got a blackscreen when using leopard. What kexts did you use?

Still no luck with line out.

I used the ToH RC2 Leopard DVD, which didn't give me a black screen unlike BrazilMac's GM version. The latter seems to install Natit, which kinda messes up the booting process. Even after removal it didn't work for me, couldn't find out why... so I stuck with the ToS release.

Hopefully the next Uphuck Leopard will an easy to install final version...

Using the kexts on rapidshare worked for me...

Edit: Haven't seen em in this thread and think they prolly belong here: http://www.vimicro.com/english/product/Pub...0321_060308.zip

Those ASUS folks mounted our webcams upside down! And it's kinda low framerate, at least in Leo...

post-146308-1194803201_thumb.png

Hey,

These kexts are for the video card yeh?

I have an ASUS G1 w/ GeForce Go 7700, which is the same found on the A8JS.

I will give it a try tonight and see if it works

These kexts are for the video card yeh?

I have an ASUS G1 w/ GeForce Go 7700, which is the same found on the A8JS.

I will give it a try tonight and see if it works

Yep but I've only tested it on Leopard, don't know if it works for 10.4.8.