ASUS A8JS

152 posts in this topic

here are original topics at macvidia.com (for records)

beginning of the topic

and starting point where I suggested the VGA BIOS could be part of the whole laptop BIOS

and finally, the post where I explain how I could extract the VGA part in the whole laptop mobo's BIOS using AMIBCP software

So if there's any dare devil among you guys who own this laptop, feel free to do it, but keep in mind I have no way to check if the whole BIOS integrity is still correct. If it is not, it will just make your laptop useless unless you can remove the BIOS EEPROM/ROM chip and replace it with a functional one.

If someone ever tries it, feel free to come at macvidia and report your story !

Hey guys, I've been working at my audio for some time now. I've dried both the AppleHDA and the AppleAzaliaAudio both with no success. I am using the ids 0x11D41986 and 0x27D88086. This is exactly like one of the previous posts, but I have no success. Is there anyone that can lead me in the right direction? One more thing, my laptop is the A8Jm and not the A8Js. Are the sound cards totally different? The vendor and dev Ids seem to be the same.

Hey guys, I've been working at my audio for some time now. I've dried both the AppleHDA and the AppleAzaliaAudio both with no success. I am using the ids 0x11D41986 and 0x27D88086. This is exactly like one of the previous posts, but I have no success. Is there anyone that can lead me in the right direction? One more thing, my laptop is the A8Jm and not the A8Js. Are the sound cards totally different? The vendor and dev Ids seem to be the same.

try this out

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=7768

It should install everything automatically--it's what I've been using.

try this out

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=7768

It should install everything automatically--it's what I've been using.

Hey MrFuzzemz, thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure that your system is an A8J. I installed it, and nothing happened. It's same as before. I can see everything, but no sound. I also went in and edited the Info.plist to 0x11d41986, but still no luck. I did try it as a fresh install as well, ie. no edited Info.plist. Could it be because I am using 10.4.9 and not 10.4.8 or lower? So far, aside from the audio, everything here has worked, so either I am missing something, or my A8Jm has a totally different Audio chip from the A8Js.

Hey MrFuzzemz, thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure that your system is an A8J. I installed it, and nothing happened. It's same as before. I can see everything, but no sound. I also went in and edited the Info.plist to 0x11d41986, but still no luck. I did try it as a fresh install as well, ie. no edited Info.plist. Could it be because I am using 10.4.9 and not 10.4.8 or lower? So far, aside from the audio, everything here has worked, so either I am missing something, or my A8Jm has a totally different Audio chip from the A8Js.

I've got an A8Js. All I need to do is install the package and I get audio through the laptop speakers. I haven't upgraded to 10.4.9, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

I've got an A8Js. All I need to do is install the package and I get audio through the laptop speakers. I haven't upgraded to 10.4.9, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

Thanks for the info. I tried it again, but it still didn't work. I also downgraded to 10.4.8 to see if I could get it going, and got nothing. Maybe the A8Jm has something different from the A8Js. I guess I will have to keep looking. Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any ideas, I'm open to try almost anything.

Since no one has tried the Gigabyte card wifi card yet, I went ahead and bought a Apple Airport card from the Macbook pro off of some guy on eBay. The original Macbook pro wifi card is probably the exact same card as the Gigabyte card - though it may use a different chipset. Not having wifi is a bit annoying.

I have an ASUS A8JP. I have not gotten video to work properly (1024x768 using JAS 10.48 default install w/ Intel SSE3)

Boots fast. iWork and iLife work fine, but Toast 8 titanium will not work at all. It bounces on the dock and then never opens up. Everything else works fine.

Still working on audio. I'll post after I reboot and attempt to install the Realtek drivers and the SOundmax drivers...

I have a TurtleBeach Advantage 7.1 external sound card (USB based). It works fine, though the audio distots for some reason...

I am using this laptop for IT administration of an OS X network environment w/ Windows machines as well.

Since no one has tried the Gigabyte card wifi card yet, I went ahead and bought a Apple Airport card from the Macbook pro off of some guy on eBay. The original Macbook pro wifi card is probably the exact same card as the Gigabyte card - though it may use a different chipset. Not having wifi is a bit annoying.

If you look at previous posts in this thread (and others), I have tried the Gigabyte card and others have as well. No one has gotten it working. Its device ID is in the Atheros Driver included with OSX, but something in its chipset is different than those that work with OSX. If you look at my sig you can see that I have full wireless functionality. You can find that card on eBay for about $39.99. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Damn! I'm frustrated! I've been struggling for a day or so to get OSX 10.4.7 (JaS) running on my Asus A8J.

It hangs during boot, both in normal mode and -x mode.

The last thing it logs is:

Mar 8 11:57:26 kextd[25]: 0 cached, 221 uncached personalities to catalog

VGA: family specific matching fails

Matching service count = 0

Does anyone know why this isn't working for me? What boot options are you guys using to get the thing to boot?

I had the same problem when installed 10.4.7 and 10.4.8, so I returned to 10.4.5, that works perfectly on my A8JS. I heard that some people have problems with macvidia drivers using 10.4.8, so I think that 10.4.5 is OK for me.

I have sound output (only speakers, modifying AppleAzaliaAudio as described), LAN and 1440x900 resolution with macvidia drivers.

Does anybody get the hearphone fixed?

Guess no one wants to try the bios flash? I don't blame you... HAH.

Me neither... Seriously considering though, did anybody find any information on the motherboard? Because I was wondering if there was a bios restore button / jumper.

I actually looked a bit into it, found out that Asus has a utility called Crashfree ( which is meant to recover the BIOS from CD, even with a bad BIOS). I wrote a mail to Asus to ask them if Crashfree could be used for this computer, and if not, if there was anything similar.

Amazing reply :

I wrote:

Is it possible to use the Asus Crashfree CD, with this notebook, or is there any other easy way to

recover the BIOS, without using either FreeDOS or Windows?

They wrote:

Dear customer

Please use the BIOS upgrade tool on the support site.

Best regards

Asus service engineer No 7

-------------------------------------------------

Yes they are both either for FreeDOS or Windows...

Hi,

The gotoh bios DOES NOT work with the a8js. I'll be sneding my machine back to ASUS.... =(

I can't even get the bios recovery built-in with AMIBIOS (Cntl+Home with a bootable AMIBOOT.ROM image in the CD) working =(

don't try it!

I acutally looked at the BIOS and did it because it all looked OK to me. I decompressed the VBIOS out of the normal BIOS and looked it over... actually, there was only one difference besdies the flags being set -- the VBIOS was located in a differnt place than the original bios. It was listed in a different order than the original BIOS. IT's very plausible that the video bios needs to be in that exact order... that would be my only guess as to why it didn't work.

We'll see if my warranty covers this... =P

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning to buy an Asus A8js and I want to know whether it can run 10.4.8 (I'm aware of the problems such as video). Sorry I'm pretty new to Mac OSX86 (Just discovered it a few days ago haha)

As well, I'm not very knowledgable about some terms and was wondering, what does QE/CI mean? Haha srry for the lack of experience and thanks in advance. ;)

You will be able to run OSX, but without hardware graphics acceleration (QE/CI), which a great deal of the Apple apps use. Generally it behaves good, but you will not be able to run applications which requires OpenGL.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi MrFuzzemz,

from your signature:

ASUS A8Js-4s024P

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0Ghz

1024MB RAM - Detected as 2GB in osx86? 1024MB in system monitor, though.

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7700 512MB - Detected properly with Titan and MacVidia 1.0.81

-1440x900 but no QE/CI

Audio, but no input or output through headphone jack (notebook speakers only)

Bluetooth

Wireless - Atheros AR5BXB6 108Mbps SuperG Mini PCI Express fully functional in OSX86, Windows and linux!

Triple booting Ubuntu Feisty Fawn + OSX86 10.4.8 Semthex kernel beta9 + XP

I want to ask is:

1) Can both 2 cores work?

2) If I have 2 G RAM, will only 1G RAM can be detected/used and waste 1G RAM?

3) From this thread a lot of fellow cannot get MacVidia 1.0.8x to work on 10.4.8. How can you do it? (Also, Titan kill my OSX immed.)

4) IS the AR5BXB6 can be recognise as Airport like AR5006EX as you mentioned? LED works too? (if so then I must get one~ :) )

Hmm.... Seems the 512M display card (QE/CI) and 2G are my major concern by now.... (But if headphone jack works then would be even nice. The built-in speaker SUCK~ ;) )

Thanks a lot!

Hi MrFuzzemz,

from your signature:

ASUS A8Js-4s024P

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0Ghz

1024MB RAM - Detected as 2GB in osx86? 1024MB in system monitor, though.

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7700 512MB - Detected properly with Titan and MacVidia 1.0.81

-1440x900 but no QE/CI

Audio, but no input or output through headphone jack (notebook speakers only)

Bluetooth

Wireless - Atheros AR5BXB6 108Mbps SuperG Mini PCI Express fully functional in OSX86, Windows and linux!

Triple booting Ubuntu Feisty Fawn + OSX86 10.4.8 Semthex kernel beta9 + XP

I want to ask is:

1) Can both 2 cores work?

2) If I have 2 G RAM, will only 1G RAM can be detected/used and waste 1G RAM?

3) From this thread a lot of fellow cannot get MacVidia 1.0.8x to work on 10.4.8. How can you do it? (Also, Titan kill my OSX immed.)

4) IS the AR5BXB6 can be recognise as Airport like AR5006EX as you mentioned? LED works too? (if so then I must get one~ :thumbsup_anim: )

Hmm.... Seems the 512M display card (QE/CI) and 2G are my major concern by now.... (But if headphone jack works then would be even nice. The built-in speaker SUCK~ :whistle: )

Thanks a lot!

Well I've recently upgraded to 2GB and it works fine, and detected 2GB, so who knows? Both cores work and the AR5BXB6 works natively--even the LED. After installing MacVidia you have to remove a kext--GeForce... something .kext if I remember correctly.

Thanks MrFuzzemz,

For the CPU, is speedstep function ok?

For GFG7700, do it should dual screen and DVI or S-Video out?

For the Audio, what is the model of our soundcard actually? (from my vista, I only got "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1986&SUBSYS_10431443&REV_1005" ). Can't find its actual model number.

Thanks!

Thanks MrFuzzemz,

For the CPU, is speedstep function ok?

For GFG7700, do it should dual screen and DVI or S-Video out?

For the Audio, what is the model of our soundcard actually? (from my vista, I only got "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1986&SUBSYS_10431443&REV_1005" ). Can't find its actual model number.

Thanks!

Speedstep seems okay. I haven't tried using an external monitor. I think it's a Realtek ALC882 audio chipset.

I should also say that I use Linux as my main operating system with Windows and OSX86 just to fool around in.