ASUS A8JS

152 posts in this topic

Hello, I installed VLC media player 0.8.6a, but can not play DVD movies.

I wonder is there anyone got working with DVD movie?

MSN -- working

Bittorrent -- working

iTune -- working

I am going to try media player later...

Edited by kenkenchen

I believe you need the video drivers to support full hardware acceleration before you will be able to decode DVD video streams.

So, unless someone else has the QE/CI problem figured out, no, nobody likely has DVD playback working yet (on the A8Js).

1. Under the category "Sound, video and game controllers"

double click "Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio"

click the "Details" tab on the top of the dialog box

the first value that opens "Device Instance Id" should look like:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1986&SUBSYS. . .

use the bolded text as appropriate to replace the first value above for "IOHDAudioCodecVendorID"

(e.g., I have VEN 11D4 and DEV 1986, so I use a value of 0x11D41986, if you have different values, use them.

2. Under the category "System Devices"

double click "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio"

verify the VEN_#### and DEV_#### values as above

replace the value for "IOPCIPrimaryMatch" above with your values as appropriate

I red somewhere that you should change the order of the VEN and DEV numbers to modify IOPCIPrimaryMatch. Did you use the same order for "Microsoft UAA..." that for "Soundmax Integrated..." exactly?

I mean, for example, if you have "microsoft UAA..." VEN 11D4 and DEV 1986, should you use 0x11D41986 (the same order as "SoundmaxIntegrated...") or 0x198611D4 (inverted)?

Neither of Macvidia's drivers (1.0.8 or 1.0.8.1) play nice with my A8Js with 10.4.8 and the latest (v9 final) semthex kernel 8.8.1. Is anyone else with 10.4.8 able to get the full 1440x900 resolution working?

I don´t understand this. 1.0.8 driver worked perfectly on my 10.4.5. Maybe latest versions of MacOS don´t support this drivers, but I though that VideoCard is the same so this problem shouldn´t exist.

I will install 10.4.8 soon, so I will try this and will continue looking for the working version.

I red somewhere that you should change the order of the VEN and DEV numbers to modify IOPCIPrimaryMatch. Did you use the same order for "Microsoft UAA..." that for "Soundmax Integrated..." exactly?

I mean, for example, if you have "microsoft UAA..." VEN 11D4 and DEV 1986, should you use 0x11D41986 (the same order as "SoundmaxIntegrated...") or 0x198611D4 (inverted)?

I used 0x11D41986 and 0x27D88086 for the IOHDAudioCodecVendorID and the IOPCIPrimaryMatch values, respectively (i.e., I didn't reverse the order found in the Windows device manager property panes)

I don´t understand this. 1.0.8 driver worked perfectly on my 10.4.5. Maybe latest versions of MacOS don´t support this drivers, but I though that VideoCard is the same so this problem shouldn´t exist.

I will sternly tell my laptop that this problem shouldn't exist. :|

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I was also able to get the Macvidia drivers v. 1.0.8 to work under my 10.4.6 OS X installation, (without, obviously, QE/CI), but the very same drivers, as well as the slightly updated 1.0.8.1 version, give me a black screen when I boot into 10.4.8.

If you have better luck with these drivers under 10.4.8, please post your experience here so we can try to duplicate it.

Thank you for the solution. It worked perfectly in MacOSX 10.4.5 running on my new A8JS.

MacVidia drivers also worked and the system recognizes Geforce 7700 with its 512Mb and allows me to use the 1400x900 resolution (before installation of MacVidia drivers it only recognizes 256Mb and only allows a 1200x800 resolution.

Thank you very much!! I continue looking for a solution for the other devices.

MacVidia is not working with my latest 10.4.8 kernel. After install 1.0.8.1, the system crash on boot. Is there any trick to make it work?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello proud A8Js users. I'm looking to buy an A8Js this week. Up until then I've been using a Z96Js. Am I to understand that QE/CI support hasn't been possible for anyone? I've seen people have gotten sound output working, but is that only through the audio jack or is that through the notebook speakers as well? Thanks.

Hello proud A8Js users. I'm looking to buy an A8Js this week. Up until then I've been using a Z96Js. Am I to understand that QE/CI support hasn't been possible for anyone? I've seen people have gotten sound output working, but is that only through the audio jack or is that through the notebook speakers as well? Thanks.

Still no QE/CI support on internal display - development of nvidiaefi.kext is still ongoing over at macvidia forums.

Audio through speakers works fine given installation procedure above. Haven't actually tested headphone jacks.

Still no QE/CI support on internal display - development of nvidiaefi.kext is still ongoing over at macvidia forums.

Audio through speakers works fine given installation procedure above. Haven't actually tested headphone jacks.

Thanks for getting back to me. Would you recommend the a8js to me?

Well I've ordered an A8Js and it should arrive Friday at the latest. I just so happen to have a Dell 1390 and an AR5006EX lying around. If I can get to the minipci-e slot without voiding my warranty, I will let everyone know if it works.

ForestCat- I see you have a G1. Are you asking about the A8Js because you've tried swapping cards in it and it didn't work? I had an ASUS Z96Js that I just sold and I couldn't quite get the wireless working.

MrFuzzemz,

No, haven't swapped yet. The A8JS seems to have a fair amount in common w/ the G1, i.e. 7700, 3945, etc. I've been keepin an eye here for updates on the 7700 issue, which is IMHO, the big one.

The one thing I'm really curious about is whether the 5006EX/5006EXS cards play nice in XP & Vista. It seems the relatively easy to get working in OSX & Linux, exactly the opposite of the 3945...

I was considering the Gigabyte 5006EG version, but it doesn't look like anyone's had any luck with it yet.

MrFuzzemz,

No, haven't swapped yet. The A8JS seems to have a fair amount in common w/ the G1, i.e. 7700, 3945, etc. I've been keepin an eye here for updates on the 7700 issue, which is IMHO, the big one.

The one thing I'm really curious about is whether the 5006EX/5006EXS cards play nice in XP & Vista. It seems the relatively easy to get working in OSX & Linux, exactly the opposite of the 3945...

I was considering the Gigabyte 5006EG version, but it doesn't look like anyone's had any luck with it yet.

I use linux as my main operating system and I can confirm that the Atheros based cards work great with the madifi-ng drivers. They also work very fast with XP. I wasn't able to get it to load under OSX86, but that may be due to the way the Z96Js is configured.

I hope someone figures out the 7700 soon. It looks like _np is making progress here and there over at MacVidia.

HEY looka hier

SOMEONE got their x1700 working QE plus CI, with the ATI version of ASUS A8:

"DiaboliK! awesome!!!

my mobility radeon x1700 finally well recognized with ci and qe!

it has been a headache since all of the Natit variants or ATIinject solution

did not work on my mobility radeon x1700, but your Mobility.kext did it!

thumbsup_anim.gif

i cannot change resolution right now, but i hope you can also fix it.

i'll PM you about details of my findings with your Mobility.kext, thanks!"

HEY looka hier

SOMEONE got their x1700 working QE plus CI, with the ATI version of ASUS A8:

People have had ATI mobility working for at least a couple of weeks now. This doesn't really help us with NVidia. Thanks, though.

People have had ATI mobility working for at least a couple of weeks now. This doesn't really help us with NVidia. Thanks, though.

Wow. I guess that was a bit preemptive--it says:

As of now it supports ATi Mobility Radeon X1300 thru X1800XT and NVidia GeForce GO 6200 thru 7900GTX

Maybe this is what we need. The 7900GTX is also a 512MB card! If anyone gets it going, be sure to let us know!

<br />I use linux as my main operating system and I can confirm that the Atheros based cards work great with the madifi-ng drivers. They also work very fast with XP. I wasn't able to get it to load under OSX86, but that may be due to the way the Z96Js is configured.<br /><br />I hope someone figures out the 7700 soon. It looks like _np is making progress here and there over at MacVidia.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'm probably gonna try the Lenovo 11a/b/g (Atheros AR5006EX). Even w/o OSX86, the 3945 is not that well behaved under Kubuntu. I keep having to bounce the IF everytime the driver hangs. Useable but annoying. I'll let you know how I make out w/ the Lenovo. From what I understand it should work well under OSX86 (native?)

OSX isn't ugly by any means w/o QE, etc. You just have no acceleration, cool screensavers, DVD, etc. But the ui is pretty gorgeous at 1680x1050, even w/o QE. But that doesn't mean I'm not on the edge of my seat for a 7700 solution...

OT: Have you been playing w/ Beryl/Emerald at all?

<br /><br /><br />

I'm probably gonna try the Lenovo 11a/b/g (Atheros AR5006EX). Even w/o OSX86, the 3945 is not that well behaved under Kubuntu. I keep having to bounce the IF everytime the driver hangs. Useable but annoying. I'll let you know how I make out w/ the Lenovo. From what I understand it should work well under OSX86 (native?)

OSX isn't ugly by any means w/o QE, etc. You just have no acceleration, cool screensavers, DVD, etc. But the ui is pretty gorgeous at 1680x1050, even w/o QE. But that doesn't mean I'm not on the edge of my seat for a 7700 solution...

OT: Have you been playing w/ Beryl/Emerald at all?

The AR5006EX should run natively with OSX86 as that's what Macs use. I've read some success stories with OSX86.

Beryl/Emerald is very pretty. One reason for switching from the Z96Js with ATI graphics to the A8Js with NVidia is better Linux support and AIGLX. I think I like Linux with AIGLX more than OSX86 with QE/CI because of the configurability.