ASUS A8JS

152 posts in this topic

I have installed OSX 10.4.7 JAS REPACK in my Asus A8JS. After one day using it... all I can say is it seems to be working quite well except from a couple of problems. Here's the list:

Core 2 DUO T7200 --> OK

touchpad --> OK

Keyboard --> Ok

Nvidia GeForce 7700 --> Ok with macvidia drivers 1.08

DVD --> OK (Haven't tried burning DVDs)

USB ports --> OK

Soundmax HD AUDIO --> NOT WORKING (DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO GET THIS WORKING???)

Wireless intel 3945 abg... --> NOT WORKING (not a big surprise I guess...)

iWork 06 --> Seems to be very s-l-o-w! (Havent tried any speed boost tip yet)

For the moment, that's all!

I hope all A8Js or A8Js-like owners unite in this post to make our hackintosh run Osx86 as sweet as silk!

Wow... after a whole day of reearch... It looks like this is one of the worst laptops to get mac os x running...

Ethernet/Wireless:

Realtek 8168/8111 --> Nobody has it working

Intel PRO/WIRELESS 3945 abg --> Nobody has it working

Sound card:

SoundMAX Digital HD audio --> Nobody has it working

Graphics:

Geforce Go 7700 --> System won't boot after Titan or Natit... so no QE/CI support...

Who wants a MAC OS X with no sound, no internet, and no QE/CI...???

I think my only solution is to go for VISTA... argh!

This sounds VERY strange to me though, cuz MAcIntel's specs are not that different from my laptop... and this hardware is VERY common (but geforce 7700)! I can't believe there are no drivers!!!!!!!!

I dont think the A8Js has a mini PCI slot for the Dell True Mobile.. I don't want to have anything external sticking out of the laptop :D

are there any other good alternatives?

i hope the natit / titan issues get sorted out soon with the 7700...

I dont think the A8Js has a mini PCI slot for the Dell True Mobile.. I don't want to have anything external sticking out of the laptop :)

are there any other good alternatives?

I don't know any other solutions or I would have suggested them.

Googled A8Js and many reviews and discussions talked about "card" and one said "pci mini express slot".

So, it might be worth it to pop it open and see if the card is removable. Might be a door on the bottom.

For what it's worth, my cheapass Acer Travelmate 4001 has the Intel WiFi card installed in a MiniPCI slot. It seems likely that the A8JS has that too.

(And that would be awesome as I'm interested in getting one.)

• 2 weeks later...

I use A8Js too. Work very hard on make Natit/Titan. Since macvidia seems no Core Graphic support at the moment. It cause me have no time to get USB support working. Is there any hint to make it work?

This machine is not bad at all. It will be great if OSX work with it. :P

Hi, I also got the a8js - very good notebook. I've installed 10.4.8 with same things not working like in second message of thread and after install of titan I can't start osx at all :P

Is there some kind of "single user" or "safe mode", how can I enter into and remove the titan installed ? Some news about video drivers ? Can I help in some way ?

thanks

Here's a solution for ethernet, it works!

Neopheus installer for DaemonES great driver:

http://www.necnet.de/krass.man/Installers/...0Installer.html

-------

Now, for the graphics card, the omni's titan solution / Natit won't work because of the 512 Mb... there still hope though!

Thank you for the solution. It worked perfectly in MacOSX 10.4.5 running on my new A8JS.

MacVidia drivers also worked and the system recognizes Geforce 7700 with its 512Mb and allows me to use the 1400x900 resolution (before installation of MacVidia drivers it only recognizes 256Mb and only allows a 1200x800 resolution.

Thank you very much!! I continue looking for a solution for the other devices.

• 2 weeks later...

This page (in french, but very easy to understand) explains how to "install" the sound driver of other asus (with the same sound card) in MACOSX.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.p...log...;blogid=78&

I tried to do with my 10.4.5 version but it didn´t work. Maybe it would work with 10.4.7 or 10.4.8 versions. I will try when I update with the proper patch.

Albertopme, could you post the link again in a fashion that doesn't truncate it?

Many thanks!

Sorry, I didn´t check the link. This is the full link:

http://

forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=78&

(truncate mode happens when the link is posted as url)

I hope that somebody will try this method in a A8JS and will tell us the result

Edited by albertopme

Guys!!

My ASUS A8J is working under 10.4.8 now,

And it run so fast to boot up, take less than 1 mins to boot.

USB, Bluetooth, is working after first time finished install.

There are few things I need to work it our for network card and monitor resolution.

I did not install Titan yet, so information only reconise 256MB for my VGA, suppost it's 512MB

So right now I will working on network and VGA now.

Bt the way, because this NB can boot by USB, so it's work fine when I boot from USB port.

Edited by kenkenchen

Guys!!

My ASUS A8J is working under 10.4.8 now,

And it run so fast to boot up, take less than 1 mins to boot.

USB, Bluetooth, is working after first time finished install.

There are few things I need to work it our for network card and monitor resolution.

I did not install Titan yet, so information only reconise 256MB for my VGA, suppost it's 512MB

So right now I will working on network and VGA now.

Bt the way, because this NB can boot by USB, so it's work fine when I boot from USB port.

Network will probably run with the drivers linked in this page, and macvidia drivers should fix monitor resolution.

Have you any solution for Sound and Wireless??

By the way, my 10.4.5 boot in 15 seconds aprox, much fewer than my WinXP (about 50 seconds) and Ubuntu (about 30 seconds). Definitely, MacOS boot is much faster than other OS.

I have been able to get sound output working on my A8Js. Simple steps, really. I installed the latest JAS 10.4.8 DVD, and selected the AppleAzaliaAudio support patch.

After booting up, I deleted AppleHDA.kext, edited AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, and cleared the extensions cache:

sudo -s

(your password here)

rm -R /system/library/extensions.mkext

rm -R /system/library/extensions.kextcache

rm -R /system/library/extensions/applehda.kext

in AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, edit two files: (this presumes you know how to edit protected system files -- launch terminal, sudo -s with your password, and type "sudo nano /system/library/extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/info.plist" then make the edits, exit and save)

/system/library/extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/info.plist

replace the value for

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

with

<string>0x11D41986</string>

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

replace the value for

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

with

<string>0x27D88086</string>

Double check that these are the correct values for your system first, however. Namely, in Windows, check under Device Manager the following:

1. Under the category "Sound, video and game controllers"

double click "Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio"

click the "Details" tab on the top of the dialog box

the first value that opens "Device Instance Id" should look like:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1986&SUBSYS. . .

use the bolded text as appropriate to replace the first value above for "IOHDAudioCodecVendorID"

(e.g., I have VEN 11D4 and DEV 1986, so I use a value of 0x11D41986, if you have different values, use them.

2. Under the category "System Devices"

double click "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio"

verify the VEN_#### and DEV_#### values as above

replace the value for "IOPCIPrimaryMatch" above with your values as appropriate

Repair the permissions on your AppleAzaliaAudio.kext file:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/appleazaliaaudio.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/appleazaliaaudio.kext

diskutil repairpermissions /

reboot

This gave me stereo output on my machine. No input. And for some reason, no "Audio Device (built in)" shows up in system profiler. But hey, who am I to complain?

If you run into trouble where there's a stutter or clicking sound for the first half second, every time you play a sound, or navigate within a track in iTunes, make sure you have deleted AppleHDA.kext (back it up first, if you like)

I found I had a bunch of permissions trouble with the install from the JAS DVD. If you download the 10.4.8 combo update (Intel) from the Apple Web Site, and use Pacifist (shareware) to manually overwrite all of the Extensions and Frameworks (except AppleSMBIOS.kext ! ), that might have been what fixed the problem on my computer as well.

Good luck!

Network will probably run with the drivers linked in this page, and macvidia drivers should fix monitor resolution.

Have you any solution for Sound and Wireless??

By the way, my 10.4.5 boot in 15 seconds aprox, much fewer than my WinXP (about 50 seconds) and Ubuntu (about 30 seconds). Definitely, MacOS boot is much faster than other OS.

Where did you download the driver? here? --> www.macvidia.com

and what version did you used?

And is there any support for Quartz Extreme or Core Image?

Thanks

Edited by kenkenchen

Where did you download the driver? here? --> www.macvidia.com

and what version did you used?

And is there any support for Quartz Extreme or Core Image?

Thanks

Links from www.macvidia.com to the recent releases didn´t work, so I looked for another way and access from previous releases to the download directory. This is the final link to all the latest releases (you have to register before in macvidia.com. If you don´t do this, the download icon will not appear when you click on the name of the driver) :

www.macvidia.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=29&func=select&id=1&orderby=3

I used 1.0.8.

No idea about support for Quart Extreme nor Core Image.

Good luck