Different sensors projects

Slice

59 posts in this topic

Guys,

Don't mix 6.18 and 3.41.

There are three different projects for monitoring temperatures, voltages, fans speed and other hardware parameters:

Initially it was FakeSMC with plugins for producing SMC keys for hardware parameters for different hardware. But sometimes ago Kozlek separated own version of FakeSMC and producing new set of plugins while I stay with good working version 3. So..

1. FakeSMC v3 with Hardware Sensors3  which I still supported.

2. FakeSMC v6 (rev1800) by Kozlek and supported by Rehabman. AFAIK both are abandoned and the project is not supported. Or may be maintained by coauthors.

3. New VirtualSMC by vit9696 with own set of sensors kexts. It depends on Lilu.kext. The project is in active development.

All three project have incompatible interfaces sensors<->SMC so they are incompatible with each other.

There are applications for monitoring hardware parameters and they commonly depends on these projects.

1. iStat, iStatMenu, iStatPro compatible with real Macs because they use SMC keys just like those presents in real Macs.

2. HWMonitorSMC by Navi (initial codes from Kozlek)  used in my HWSensors3.

3. HWMonitor by Kozlek with graphics like in IntelPowerGadget used in his HWSensors version.

4. HWMonitorSMC2 by Vector_Sigma tends to be universal supporting all project. It also may use sensors information produces by Apple graphics and by IntelPowerGadget.

Let us discuss here differences and common ideas for this projects.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Hi
By reading through the thread here, not sure if the current Sensors work.... is this card supported?

vclist v1.0.2 (vector sigma 2018-2019), found 1 graphics card!
----------------------------------------------------
Model               = Radeon RX Vega 56
vendor ID           = <02100000>
vendor ID           = <7f680000>
revision ID         = <c3000000>
subsystem ID        = <88230000>
sub system VendorID = <8c140000>

Device Utilization  = 0%
Total Power         = 15 Watts
Temperature         = 47°
Fan Speed           = 0 RPM
Fan Speed           = 28%
vram Used           = 126513152 bytes
vram Free           = 3500003264 bytes

Metal properties:
Max Threads Per Thread group = width 1024, height 1024, depth 1024
Max Thread group Memory Length = 65536
Recommended Max Working Set Size = 0xFF000000
Depth 24 Stencil 8 Pixel Format = true
Programmable Sample Positions = true
Read-Write Texture  = 2
Headless            = false
Is Low Power        = false
Removable           = false

I would like to Monitor Power, Temp and Fan-Speed.

Thanks, Mike

7 hours ago, jinbingmao said:

Added fan and voltage reporting in SMCSuperIO through I/O Registry (requires client updates) by @joedmru

https://github.com/acidanthera/VirtualSMC/commit/ab5e40d02a4079bc35ecffec51fb601fd21cf738

If someone will provide a ioreg...

9 minutes ago, Mike Ranger said:

Hi
By reading through the thread here, not sure if the current Sensors work.... is this card supported?

vclist v1.0.2 (vector sigma 2018-2019), found 1 graphics card!
----------------------------------------------------
Model               = Radeon RX Vega 56
vendor ID           = <02100000>
vendor ID           = <7f680000>
revision ID         = <c3000000>
subsystem ID        = <88230000>
sub system VendorID = <8c140000>

Device Utilization  = 0%
Total Power         = 15 Watts
Temperature         = 47°
Fan Speed           = 0 RPM
Fan Speed           = 28%
vram Used           = 126513152 bytes
vram Free           = 3500003264 bytes

Metal properties:
Max Threads Per Thread group = width 1024, height 1024, depth 1024
Max Thread group Memory Length = 65536
Recommended Max Working Set Size = 0xFF000000
Depth 24 Stencil 8 Pixel Format = true
Programmable Sample Positions = true
Read-Write Texture  = 2
Headless            = false
Is Low Power        = false
Removable           = false

I would like to Monitor Power, Temp and Fan-Speed.

Thanks, Mike

Looks like you already know what the app will show..

• Like 1

Not sure I understand... I am using a older version FakeSMC with specially tuned GPUSensors from KGP.

My boodloader is OpenCore.

I would like to switch to either VirtualSMC or your fork of FakeSMC with HWSensors, the question is if my card (Vega56) would work.

Since I use OpenCore, just switching kexts is not quite so easy, so ideally you could give me an indication.

Thanks, Mike

18 minutes ago, Mike Ranger said:

Looks great.... all temps recorded correctly in the HW-Sensors App.

Sorry if I ask this... but why would this not fully support Istat?

Everything shown in HWMonitorSMC2, really not much in Istat.

Regards, Mike

I'm not using iStat, but Sensei shows temps and fans. 

scrns-bega-56-comp-00001.thumb.jpg.9af9e92b8d8b93508049ce7c6b8e967c.jpg

scrns-bega-56-comp-00002.thumb.jpg.630749c6bc71c55e2ea1a15e414b05fd.jpg

scrns-bega-56-comp-00003.thumb.jpg.a84ca29bc2410e06d61f101844efeba3.jpg

So I can confirm that everything works.... 

In order to get more functionality, I would have to create a DSDT for the LCP  sensors. The problem I have however is, that looking through my DSDT, I have no good idea how to translate this info correctly.

I will try to better understand.

I really dont understand.... Sensor-Reading and VirtualSMC / FakeSMC should be one unit, why separate it?

I also dont understand, why with VirtualSMC, only HWMonitorSMC2 show the majority of the Sensor Data and all standard Mac Software (like Istat) basically shows nothing.

Should not the goal be that standard Mac software can utilise / work with the sensor data provided?

9 hours ago, Mike Ranger said:

I really dont understand.... Sensor-Reading and VirtualSMC / FakeSMC should be one unit, why separate it?

I also dont understand, why with VirtualSMC, only HWMonitorSMC2 show the majority of the Sensor Data and all standard Mac Software (like Istat) basically shows nothing.

Should not the goal be that standard Mac software can utilise / work with the sensor data provided?

FakeSMC with sensors is different from VirtualSMC with sensors. They provide different info for system. It is not my affair why VirtualSMC shows nothing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

it is funny... i posted the same question in VirtualSMC Thread and was told i should post here.

Not that it matters, I agree with you that VirtualSMC should provide the values so that any Mac-App can utilize.

Who is the responsible programmer for VirtualSMC....

This all sounds a bit "political" to me.

18 hours ago, Mike Ranger said:

VSMC sensors do not create SMC keys so they arent compatible with other software, voltages must be read from IOReg, not from SMC Keys

there is no "standard" software for Mac, and there is no "standard" software for Hackintosh, each developer uses his own keys

some of them are from real Mac, some of them are different

PS even FakeSMC plugins by Slice and FakeSMC by Kozlek use partially incompatible keys

Edited by Rodion2010
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 5:08 PM, Mike Ranger said:

Wow... really cool...gotta try Sensei

Well.... now I am stuck.... I don't know how to write some DSDT code for the LCP sensors.

Most of the stuff looks good.

CPU multipliers dont work.... some temps are off.

Oh man! Sensei looks cool but doesn't work with Mojave :cry:

Hello, from our point of view there are serious terminology and organisation issues.

— There exists a SMC emulator: FakeSMC or VirtualSMC.

— There exists a driver providing sensor information: Intel Power Gadget kernel extension, macOS GPU kexts, Acidanthera Sensors or HWSensors. The driver does not necessary relate to the SMC emulator, as it can report sensor data with multiple methods.

— There exists an application interpreting sensor information data: HWMonitor, HWMonitorSMC2, iStat Menus, etc.

We believe it does not make sense to discuss sensor drivers and sensor applications in SMC emulator threads, they simply do not relate close enough to each other. The only case where we could imagine it be discussed is some API interaction with the emulator during driver development.

From the presence of HWMonitorSMC2 in the first message we believe this is a joint thread for HWSensors (drivers) and HWMonitorSMC2 (sensor apps). So for us it makes good sense to request features for the latter here.

If this thread is considered exclusive to HWSensors drivers, then it would be great if you create a dedicated thread for HWMonitorSMC2 for us to interact altogether. Moving messages to VirtualSMC thread is inadequare as VirtualSMC thread has nothing to do to sensors, and in fact it is even outside of the hardware sensors forum.

Regarding our new sensors format, as we said previously, we added Super I/O data reporting through I/O Registry in raw format, and need application authors to interpret the data. The formats, modulators and demodulators differ a little, so we created a thread with datasheets here: https://applelife.ru/threads/datasheets-k-chipam-superio.2944734/.

Cheers and thanks for understanding =)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Thanks all for clarifying. I can confirm that the new Super I/O is really working great. All is missing is the link to the well known Apps like Istat for example.

The question is really if I understood you correctly:

How to close that bridge from the raw data Super I/O to, for example IStat, which most Mac/Hack users have installed and using. I think the main reason that not more users have switched to VirtualSMC is exactly that reason.... and sorry for stating that in this thread....hope it is not off-topic.

If I officially submit that as a request, where would that go.... into the VirtualSMC one?

Thanks again, Mike