Must Read! How to Ask for Help And Actually Get It?

holyfield

19 posts in this topic

did-you-read-the-manual.thumb.jpg.b0677e5018ed016471d43f1b0388ac4e.jpg

Do you want some help from an online community? 

Building Hacks has always been community based venture, where personal gain comes from working with others. 

Let’s ask one very simple but the serious and important question first! Why anyone should help you at all? Really? What’s so special about you? What people gain from helping you except the waste of their valuable lifetime? Time is the most precious resource! There is no way to turn back wasted time! Problems are a normal part of  of life. Mostly problems are some obstacles we need to overcome. But another hand, if you do not learn how to deal with your own problems, life will be a difficult path for you. Why other's should make their life difficult because of you? 

Before you ask any help, learn how to ask for help. And I can bet that most people don't do it! They will waste their own and others precious lifetime again and again! 

I have decided that I will help only people who deserve it! Who are they? 

Those who:

• are attempted to help themselves first;
  • are providing valuable information about their case and don't force others to guess;
  • have the will to learn how to solve issues by self and do not gamble by trying whatever jumps in mind or do blindly what some ignorant dumb suggests;
  • are really helping others; 
  • highly value the time of others.

People who are not willing to learn and don't pay attention to details never deserve any help as there is no way to help them.

Guidelines for asking help for Hackintosh related issues.

For first I have to make another disclaimer!

If you don't want to learn about computing, do not waste your's and other's time and money on building Hack by self, instead

• just buy a genuine Mac and contact Apple's support whenever you need some help;
  • or second option, find some IT pro who can build the Hack for you and pay very well for his help.

If you decided otherwise, then:

• Take time to read the Community Rules.
  • Admit that if some person pays attention to you, it's actually personal support case like Apple Care etc! Respect them!
  • Admit that your knowledge is lacking and you have to learn about what you are trying to do.
  • RTFM. RTFM is an initialism for the expression "read the fu**ing manual". 
  • How would you solve the problem without the computer, just with a pencil and paper?
  • Learn to debug, which is just a scientific way of narrowing down the reasons.
  • Research first, do not post first! On 99% of cases someone already had the same or very similar issue.
  • Learn how to leave others out of guesswork - collect diagnostics data which can help others on solving your case.
  • Do not post any help requests without diagnostics data and details about your system.
  • One specific problem at a time! Learn to set strict boundaries rather than trying to solve everything within one request.

Useful tools

• Hackintool * - An extremely useful GUI to handle several Hack issues but not intent to be an automated patching tool that does all the work for you.
  • Ubuntu Live USB * - There are plenty of tasks, which you cannot complete on Hack and you need to boot you comp into Linux.

* - must have

Useful quotes

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. (An old proverb)

.. you do not have obligation to help... @C.Frio

You are welcome to post your recommendations how to ask help. 

Edited by holyfield
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hervé said:

And if you think that'll change people's behaviour, you might as well try to marry Pope JP II !

Thank you for your opinion.

For first, catholic priests are not allowed to marry. But this doesn't mean, that their life is meaningless suffering. They have chosen the path to serve other peoples on the way that married people are never able to do. They are 100% dedicated to their mission. But that's another story.

There is an old saying: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. This means that that we can give someone the opportunity to do something, but we cannot force them to do it if they do not want to. Which leads us to another question, should we help others at all? I think the best answer is that we have to set strict boundaries who and how we help, to make sure we are not wasting our valuable time. If someone wants our free help, then he has to follow the rules we set, or he has to live without that help. 

I believe there are still plenty of people who deserve help and they are willing to learn how to be more successful on requesting help. It's all about setting some cornerstones how to get or provide successfully help. 

• Like 1

hi...

you do not have obligation to help...

I did not birth knowing all...IMHO opinion the forum is to talk, discuss, even for a newbie...

if we know the answers..why we need the forum ?

I'm great full for this forum...

the people that help ...do this 'cause they like..

if you think the question is nonsense...just skip

sorry discord ...we at some moment I were a beginner..

and many people helped me...

only the time show how to ask..

c.frio

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, C.Frio said:

Thank you for your input! Thats part of my intentions, to get people to talk how we can be more successful. Building Hacks is community based venture. 

But to be honest, time doesn't act, people make decisions and act. We decide how we use the time. Time doesn't show anything, there is just time needed for every learning. But we can learn faster and learn better. 

That's just my opinion, but I think before solving problems which require community help, we have learn how to be successful on requesting community help. Everyone has his own experience. I'm trying to make some kind of concentrate of my experience. I'm sharing it, so I can get feedback, reconsider some aspects and improve it.

• Like 1

Just now, hardcorehenry said:

Many people could help themselves, but they can't :shock:

I noticed that too! I'm not anyhow involved on management of this site but if I were, this would be the on of the first thing to fix!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, C.Frio said:

hi...

you do not have obligation to help...

I did not birth knowing all...IMHO opinion the forum is to talk, discuss, even for a newbie...

if we know the answers..why we need the forum ?

I'm great full for this forum...

the people that help ...do this 'cause they like..

if you think the question is nonsense...just skip

sorry discord ...we at some moment I were a beginner..

and many people helped me...

c.frio

i appreciate your thinking but most  of the people awaiting readymade solution

Edited by Rockey12

12 minutes ago, Rockey12 said:

Hackintosh is some kind of pain in ass and there for you have to learn most of the stuff by your self 

in general there are 4 ways to get comp running macOS.

1. buy genuine Mac, new or from aftermarket;
  2. pay for someone to build Hack;
  3. learn computing science related to building Hack;
  4. gamble by testing whatever jumps in mind or someone suggests.

I reccomend the first one always. But everyone has a right to choose their own path.

Edited by holyfield
  • Like 1

First of all, we want this to be a happy community, and kindness/cheerfulness makes that happen. Be helpful and kind to all the members, even those who you may not be best friends with. Don’t think you are above anybody.  Everyone here has been a noob at one point or another, so be understanding even if someone is wrong. Always be kind and professional. If you want to help, do it with kindness. Rude comments are counterproductive. Nobody is perfect, we have all our differences, particularities and singularities. Always indicate the best solution, otherwise let someone else do it.  ;)

BR

fantomas

• Like 2

20 hours ago, fantomas said:

@Poco and/or @Fubra Support are your best chance in handling with this matter. Please contact them for further information.

@Poco visited this site last time on August 27, 2019 and @Fubra Support visited this site last time on November 4, 2019. There is no way to contact @Fubra Support.

Any other options?

Great topic but not just for new users forum.  My rule both about helping others and asking for help is that, first and foremost, the Hackintosh community is about learning.  It's the journey rather than the destination that is most important.  Whenever I have to scrap my system and reinstall and rebuild from scratch, I look at it as an opportunity.  While some tasks may be repetitive, I always seem to learn something new in the process.  Likewise, helping others with systems that are different from my own (or the same but with a different software setup)  is part of my learning process.  If I happen to help them in the process, so much the better but it's not my main intention.  I am not that altruistic.  

2 hours ago, holyfield said:

@Poco visited this site last time on August 27, 2019 and @Fubra Support visited this site last time on November 4, 2019. There is no way to contact @Fubra Support.

Any other options?

And if you read my profile, it says "Last visited September 28, 2019", but I'm currently writing, right?  :)

It's because sometimes we sign anonymously (a site feature enabled for everyone), so our last visit time is not visible.  ;)

4 minutes ago, fantomas said:

And if you read my profile, it says "Last visited September 28, 2019", but I'm currently writing, right?  :)

It's because sometimes we sign anonymously (a site feature enabled for everyone), so our last visit time is not visible.  ;)

Thank you pointing out. I think that on a such case, last visited should be removed from pofiles as this is confusing and doesn't provide any actual value.

Anyway, could you to do something about that an extremely important feature "Forum Search" gets fixed? 

2 minutes ago, holyfield said:

Thank you pointing out. I think that on a such case, last visited should be removed from pofiles as this is confusing and doesn't provide any actual value.

We are off topic.

2 minutes ago, holyfield said:

Anyway, could you to do something about that an extremely important feature "Forum Search" gets fixed? 

I already replied.

Okay, I just understood the main initiative on this topic - It has nothing to do with helping people to point them in the right direction.

It's just a complaint from someone with a certain degree of bitterness toward people who are asking for help. Nothing to do with the spirit of our forum.

It has lasted long enough, topic closed!