OpenCore Legacy for GA-EX58-UD5

aikidoka25

67 posts in this topic

Does anyone tried this install method for macOS ventura on our rig ?

https://techsviewer.com/how-to-install-macos-ventura-on-unsupported-mac/

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/issues/1008

It says that version 0.5.1 added MacPro 6,1 support wich could mean that my GA-EX58-UD5 Xeon W3680 , with keppler nvidia GTX780 could even work  !  ??

I could give it a try soon...

Edited by @ROBASEFR

Do not use OCLP to create an EFI to boot from. It has many patches specific to macs and OpenCore is configured very differently (different SMBIOS settings for example).
The root volume patches should work for the graphics drivers, though require some configuration (ie partially disabling SIP) according to https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/issues/348.

I have a X58A-UD3R Monterey running system. Took a long time to get it to work. The only last problems I am having are sleep will sleep, but not turn off, Restart will not turn off the system and reboot, have to reboot by hitting reset key. Finally USB ports are not being recognized (ports that are reported as UHCI ports). Is it true I have to use hubs to get to work (I have read that on this system cannot have EHC and UHC ports at same time)? I cannot map ports. I have tried several different kexts, settings in open core,etc. The only ports that are show are XHCI ports, no matter what I do it only shows these ports. I appreciate greatly and clues, direction I can get. Thank you

To those watching this thread, I got un-lazy, read some more documentation, and set the Quirk FadtEnableReset to true, and now reboots function normally again.

Edited by Rocky12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/22/2021 at 4:56 AM, SuDoDmz said:

Could you share your EFI-Folder with me? I'm in sort of a pinch: OC is set up and works (though I didn't test every feature, due to their uses to me) with Catalina up to 10.15.7, but the Big Sur Update gave me [EB|LOG:EXITBS:START] and I don't know, what else to do (besides following the dortania guide, which obviously got me nowhere up until now). I didn't try verbose boot with Monterey (yet), but I'm quite sure it gives me the same error. I'm currently tinkering on an X58A-UD7 with an X5690, 48GB of Corsair Dominator, a Vega VII and my systems placed on (different) Samsung Pro SSDs. Furthermore I've got a Sonnet 10G Ethernet Card, a Gigabyte Titan Ridge (flashed firmware) and an Inateck USB 3.0 Card, if it is of any importance. (And two optical drives and an Apple LED cinema display).

Kind regards and keep up the good work folks!

Edit: I'm using MacPro 6,1 SMBios for being able to update and a full blown customized DSDT (I tried without, back, when on 0.5.X but got nowhere, also important for Power Management). Kexts I use: AppleALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, RTL8111(by Mieze) and VirtualSMC.

Furthermore I'm trying via the Mac OS upgrade in the settings. I heard something about a restore method, but neither do I know, what it is and how it works, nor did I/could I try.

Edit2: I'm trying to keep away from SSDTs, because back in 0.6.X I had issues, where my system wouldn't boot, or my Windows was getting messed up, due to SSDT injection, so I try to keep it short. The culprit was mostly property injection (those showing up under "PCI" in SysInfo), I think. My DSDT was the only .aml-file, that wouldn't give me a hard time, so I kept it and scratched the rest. For that reason (and of course that my USB ports got assigned to EH01 and EH02 mostly, so no limit problems there), I never bothered with a USB-Map (although I can't tell, whether it was wise in my case). If I recall correctly, I also don't have an XHCI tree in my IOReg

You can send how make pass by pass instal bigsur on GA-X58-UD3R?

• 1 month later...

Having some time i finally made the move from clover to opencore and installed big sur successfully.

I needed to use the install restore method described above and also as above make the opencore config tweaks to stop bios corruption. Now it seems to be working great, sleep wake etc.

I could not get the built in audio to work so bought an £8 usb sound dongle.

Edited by jhrfc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jhrfc said:

Having some time i finally made the move from clover to opencore and installed big sur successfully.

I needed to use the install restore method described above and also as above make the opencore config tweaks to stop bios corruption. Now it seems to be working great, sleep wake etc.

Clover 5154 works with BigCur and even with Sonoma.

VoodooHDA works with any builtin audio.

22 hours ago, Slice said:

Clover 5154 works with BigCur and even with Sonoma.

VoodooHDA works with any builtin audio.

Interesting. with legacyboot? and i could use fakesmc with sensors? (i lost cpu frequency display in istat menus as my processor is too old)

AFAIK we can't install 11+ systems with legacy boot because of absent hardware NVRAM. Clover provides a method to keep software NVRAM which works good when the system already installed. One time I had success booting Ventura with legacy boot and it works nice even better then usual.

You can use FakeSMC with sensors not related to the kind of boot. I use it in my everyday life installing and updating Sonoma.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slice said:

AFAIK we can't install 11+ systems with legacy boot because of absent hardware NVRAM. Clover provides a method to keep software NVRAM which works good when the system already installed. One time I had success booting Ventura with legacy boot and it works nice even better then usual.

You can use FakeSMC with sensors not related to the kind of boot. I use it in my everyday life installing and updating Sonoma.

Not True.

OpenCore added a perfectly working Emulated NVAM driver in OpenDuet way back in Release 0.8.3.

I have been successfully using it on my Legacy BIOS Dell Inspiron 530 to boot Snow Leopard to Monterey and works perfectly just like a H/W NVRAM.

Even during Updates/Upgrades, the macOS Installer is automatically selected during reboots. That is, I can start the update and come back say 30 minutes later and the system is perfectly updated with my intervention. Try it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MacNB said:

Not True.

OpenCore added a perfectly working Emulated NVAM driver in OpenDuet way back in Release 0.8.3.

I have been successfully using it on my Legacy BIOS Dell Inspiron 530 to boot Snow Leopard to Monterey and works perfectly just like a H/W NVRAM.

Even during Updates/Upgrades, the macOS Installer is automatically selected during reboots. That is, I can start the update and come back say 30 minutes later and the system is perfectly updated with my intervention. Try it.

Me? Not needed. 

Software NVRAM works fine in legacy Clover. The problem is to take into account extra GUID at system reboot. May be some application or additional kext do this. Just to look.

It is not a business of OpenCore.

2 hours ago, Slice said:

Me? Not needed. 

Software NVRAM works fine in legacy Clover. The problem is to take into account extra GUID at system reboot. May be some application or additional kext do this. Just to look.

It is not a business of OpenCore.

My comment was not about whether you need it or not but to educate you.

My comment was also to correct your misleading comment which implies that OpenCore cannot support Emulated NVRAM for macOS 11+. Which is not correct.

Just look at OpenCore LogoutHook which (similar to Clover's rc.shutdown.d) provides a script and Daemon that runs late after logout and at restart to save the macOS NVRAM to the NVRAM.plist file on the ESP. Then, there's an EFI driver (OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi) built into OpenDuet (for Legacy BIOS) that on reboot restores this NVRAM.plist to macOS's NVRAM. 

Fully documented in Section 11.9 OpenVariableRuntimeDxe of OpenCore's comprehensive Configuration.pdf.

So Emulated NVRAM works fine in Legacy Boot OpenCore and there's no need to use Clover (just for Emulated NVRAM).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 2:41 PM, jhrfc said:

Some update on this, I have got the onboard audio to work, I remembered I don't need to patch applehda as I have a fix in DSDT to use the Apple driver. removed the patch, and the builtin audio now works. By following the opencore guide including setting the ROM value to my real mac address I also have iservices working.

The only issue remaining here is the built in USB ports work, but they will not hot plug. I have ordered a sonnet usb 3 pci card with native mac os support to get around this.

Should be good now to go to at least monterey with this rig now.

On 8/19/2023 at 1:15 AM, MacNB said:

My comment was not about whether you need it or not but to educate you.

My comment was also to correct your misleading comment which implies that OpenCore cannot support Emulated NVRAM for macOS 11+. Which is not correct.

Just look at OpenCore LogoutHook which (similar to Clover's rc.shutdown.d) provides a script and Daemon that runs late after logout and at restart to save the macOS NVRAM to the NVRAM.plist file on the ESP. Then, there's an EFI driver (OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi) built into OpenDuet (for Legacy BIOS) that on reboot restores this NVRAM.plist to macOS's NVRAM. 

Fully documented in Section 11.9 OpenVariableRuntimeDxe of OpenCore's comprehensive Configuration.pdf.

So Emulated NVRAM works fine in Legacy Boot OpenCore and there's no need to use Clover (just for Emulated NVRAM).

Thanks for the note. I rewrite this method for Clover so that Emulated NVRAM will works in legacy boot by Clover. But I applied more variables which OC doesn't take into account. For example IASCurrentInstallPhase which is needed for several reboot during system update.

See Clover thread.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2023 at 9:03 PM, Slice said:

Thanks for the note. I rewrite this method for Clover so that Emulated NVRAM will works in legacy boot by Clover. But I applied more variables which OC doesn't take into account. For example IASCurrentInstallPhase which is needed for several reboot during system update.

See Clover thread.

Good to hear that you have adapted Clovers Emulated NVRAM for Legacy Boot.

I'm not sure what the Key IASCurrentInstallPhase stores but I don't recall having any issues with OpenCore on my Legacy system while doing updates.

On reboot, I saw OpenCore Picker show and auto select "macOS Installer" and boot that so effectively you could walk away during an update and come back later to a Login Prompt.

If you think these news keys are adding value to the Emulated NVRAM, it would be good to suggest these to the OpenCore team (maybe @Bmju) ?

I debugged updating process and see the system asked for key IASCurrentInstallPhase which changed from reboot to reboot aka different update phases.

It is up to Opencore team follow me or not.

• Thanks 1