OpenCore Legacy for GA-EX58-UD5

aikidoka25

67 posts in this topic

I have a Problem with Shutdown and Restart.

I have a Asus mini PC and with Clover Emuvariable.efi did the Trick with Shutdown.

But I switched to OC and the PC don't Restart and Shutdown Properly. 

Can somebody point me to right direction? 

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Today I got my X58 (GA-X58A-UD3R) running Catalina 10.15.7 for the first time, on Clover 5119.  So I thought then I'd have a quick go at OpenCore 0.6.3.

Mostly I followed the Dortania guide for Nehalem/Westmere, but I also took some config from @MacNB (the LegacySchema stuff).  I also used HfsLegacy.efi as MacNB did.  And I Followed @aikidoka25's advice to connect my SSD to SATA port 0.  Before I did that, it was not found in the OpenCore boot picker.

I got Catalina 10.15.7 booted from OpenCore 0.6.3 OK, on the first attempt.  But then I immediately hit a major problem:

• Without my DSDT loaded (only the SSDT-EC-DESKTOP, as recommended by Dortania), I could not put the system to sleep.
    • And when I did a restart, my BIOS settings were messed up.  I had to restore them from an earlier saved copy.
  • With my DSDT loaded (and no SSDT), sleep works, but wake results in black screen, with the HDD light pulsing slowly.
    • Eventually I did a hard power down.  When I rebooted, again I found the BIOS settings were messed up (at default) and I had to restore the BIOS settings with F12.

I must have working sleep/wake because without that I cannot get all monitors working on my GPU.  From boot, only 2 of my 4 monitors get a signal.

@aikidoka25 I saw that in an earlier post you said that wake gave you a black screen, but then you said "SOLVED".  Do you recall what you had to change to fix this?  And have you seen this issue with BIOS getting messed up?

My DSDT is different form yours in many places.  Some of this will be because you have a slightly different MB, and some will be because we've done different changes over the years.  So I don't want to just use your DSDT as it may not be compatible.

Right now I'm back on Clover and it works fine. It'd be nice to be on OpenCore, but not essential, as I have no immediate plans to upgrade this machine to BigSur.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by TheBloke

33 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

I got Catalina 10.15.7 booted from OpenCore 0.6.3 OK, on the first attempt.  But then I immediately hit a major problem:

• Without my DSDT loaded (only the SSDT-EC-DESKTOP, as recommended by Dortania), I could not put the system to sleep.
    • And when I did a restart, my BIOS settings were messed up.  I had to restore them from an earlier saved copy.
  • With my DSDT loaded (and no SSDT), sleep works, but wake results in black screen, with the HDD light pulsing slowly.
    • Eventually I did a hard power down.  When I rebooted, again I found the BIOS settings were messed up (at default) and I had to restore the BIOS settings with F12.

I must have working sleep/wake because without that I cannot get all monitors working on my GPU.  From boot, only 2 of my 4 monitors get a signal.

Try DisableRtcChecksum=YES and FadtEnableReset=YES for BIOS corruption issues.

No idea why you get black screen on wake. Check your Clover settings for ACPI/SDST to see what you are setting that is NOT available in Clover (e.g. certain DSDT Fixes)

47 minutes ago, MacNB said:

Try DisableRtcChecksum=YES and FadtEnableReset=YES for BIOS corruption issues.

No idea why you get black screen on wake. Check your Clover settings for ACPI/SDST to see what you are setting that is NOT available in Clover (e.g. certain DSDT Fixes)

Success!  Thank you.  Changing those two fixed both problems.  No BIOS resets, and wake from sleep now works fine.  I guess maybe the BIOS was getting reset on wake, and that caused it to fail to wake.

Only remaining issue is some USB stuff - my USB ports (add-in card with FL1110 chipset) doesn't seem to be working, nor is one of my onboard USB 2.0 ports.  No doubt Clover was handling that automatically and I'll need to do USB mapping or something similar.

Everything else seems fine so far - all 4 GPU outputs are OK, 1GB and 10GBe (SmallTree drivers) ethernet, sleep/wake.  I don't use onboard audio as I have a USB sound card, so I've not tested that.

Much easier than I ever expected it to be! 

Only outstanding issue, besides the USB which is hopefully temporary, is the need to use SATA port 0, which means it's only SATA2, not SATA3.  I'll have a play around with that some more, see if anything can be done.

Thanks @MacNB and @aikidoka25 !

Hey there, came from the Scripted Chameleon/Clover Guide and also tried to make some first steps with OpenCore on my EX58-UD5. Followed Dortanias Guide, but this will be some hard work for me I guess, so sorry for "stupid" questions.

I tried to make a bootable Opencore USB Drive and see if a can boot into my Sierra install with it. However, when I try to boot from USB it just skips and boots Clover from my SSD. USB Drive is formatted as GUID partition table with HFS+. I'm pretty sure I remember from my last install, that after all I wasn't able to boot from a GUID partitioned USB Drive, only MBR. However, I'm not quite sure Opencore supports installation on MBR partition table. How did you guys boot via USB? Any solutions?

29 minutes ago, itdoesnotwork said:

Hey there, came from the Scripted Chameleon/Clover Guide and also tried to make some first steps with OpenCore on my EX58-UD5. Followed Dortanias Guide, but this will be some hard work for me I guess, so sorry for "stupid" questions.

I tried to make a bootable Opencore USB Drive and see if a can boot into my Sierra install with it. However, when I try to boot from USB it just skips and boots Clover from my SSD. USB Drive is formatted as GUID partition table with HFS+. I'm pretty sure I remember from my last install, that after all I wasn't able to boot from a GUID partitioned USB Drive, only MBR. However, I'm not quite sure Opencore supports installation on MBR partition table. How did you guys boot via USB? Any solutions? 

You need to format the drive as GUID as normal, then install the Duet bootloader onto it.   Then it can be booted from a legacy boot BIOS.

There's instructions here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/installer-guide/mac-install.html#legacy-setup

Be sure to read the whole Dortania guide, it contains lots of vital information.

16 hours ago, TheBloke said:

You need to format the drive as GUID as normal, then install the Duet bootloader onto it.   Then it can be booted from a legacy boot BIOS.

There's instructions here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/installer-guide/mac-install.html#legacy-setup

Be sure to read the whole Dortania guide, it contains lots of vital information.

Thank you for the lightning-fast answer. That's actually exactly what I have done - still when I choose USB HDD from boot menu, the computer boots straight into Clover on my Fusion Drive setup. I know I am supposed to clean the install from Clover in order not to interfere with Opencore. It should, however, at least load from USB from my understanding. If you do not consider booting from a GUID partitioned USB drive an issue, I'll keep trying. I'm pretty sure I remember only being able to boot from an MBR partitioned drive though - not sure if this is a hardware/BIOS issue.

Edit:

So I came past this by changing HDD boot priority. Choosing the USB Drive from boot menu does not seem to work.

Now I get "Boot Mismatch! Boot Fail!" :rofl: I've seen that there is a discussion on this with legacy boot. Some are suggesting to use MBR / FAT32 for the USB drive instead of GPT / HFS+. Does not seem to be a definite solution though...

Edited by itdoesnotwork

On 11/27/2020 at 9:08 PM, itdoesnotwork said:

Thank you for the lightning-fast answer. That's actually exactly what I have done - still when I choose USB HDD from boot menu, the computer boots straight into Clover on my Fusion Drive setup. I know I am supposed to clean the install from Clover in order not to interfere with Opencore. It should, however, at least load from USB from my understanding. If you do not consider booting from a GUID partitioned USB drive an issue, I'll keep trying. I'm pretty sure I remember only being able to boot from an MBR partitioned drive though - not sure if this is a hardware/BIOS issue.

Hmm, not sure.  It worked first time for me on my GA-X58A-U3DR, which is very similar to yours. 

First I ran the installation command on my USB stick, set the USB stick higher than my SSD in the boot priority list, and booted from it.  I booted from the USB a few times as I was refining the config.  The SSD still had Clover's bootloader on it at that time.

Later once I was happy that OpenCore was working, I ran the installation command a second time, this time to the SSD - overwriting Clover's bootloader.  Thereafter I booted from the SSD as normal, it being the only installed drive.

I have had various issues with OpenCore not picking up macOS installs.  The first is the one described earlier in this thread: OpenCore won't detect a macOS install unless the SSD is in SATA port 0.  The second was an issue specific to Big Sur, which I tried to boot the other day: OpenCore couldn't see the Big Sur installation, or its recovery partition, even though the SSD was in port 0.  That was a different SSD, one on which I'd done a temporary test Big Sur installation (I did the install on another Hack and moved the drive over)

But at no point have I had a situation where OpenCore itself couldn't be booted by the BIOS.

Regarding "clean the install from Clover in order to not interfere with OpenCore" - I'm not sure there's anything that needs to be done on these old legacy boot systems.  On a system with working NVRAM, it's vital to clear NVRAM before booting.  But we don't even have UEFI, let alone NVRAM, so I don't believe there's anything to be done in that regard.

I don't know if Fusion is affecting something, I've never tried that.  Hope you get it working OK!

On 11/27/2020 at 9:08 PM, itdoesnotwork said:

Edit:

So I came past this by changing HDD boot priority. Choosing the USB Drive from boot menu does not seem to work.

Now I get "Boot Mismatch! Boot Fail!" :rofl: I've seen that there is a discussion on this with legacy boot. Some are suggesting to use MBR / FAT32 for the USB drive instead of GPT / HFS+. Does not seem to be a definite solution though...

I had a similar problem a while back on my ancient (but going strong) Dell 530. See this thread but there's no answer there as I took it up with the Devs off-line. The Devs fixed the issue in the OpenCore Duet package. So I'm surprised to see this come up again.

Boot mismatch failure means that "... you do not have hardware drives visible to the duet Boot". i.e. 1st stage is booting but cannot see your hard drives to load 2nd stage I guess. Not even sure if Fusion is supported in Duet.

You do not have your Signature complete in your profile so we cannot guess what hardware you have (motherboard, chipset, CPU, etc, etc).

You have not stated which OC and Duet versions you are using and whether you build them yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Are any of you legacy users using AMD GPUs?  If so, are you using more than one monitor?

I've had a problem for years (ever since Mojave) on my legacy X58 system: From boot, my AMD GPUs won't work with multiple monitors, until I put the system to sleep and then wake it.  This was true in Clover and also now in OpenCore.

Testing in Catalina 10.15.7 with OpenCore 0.6.4, legacy boot, with WhateverGreen.  Currently using MacPro6,1 SMBIOS but I have previously tried iMacPro1,1 with the same result:

With my AMD 7970Ghz (R9 280X) GPU and four monitors connected:  From boot I sometimes get a picture on two, but the other two will be black (though they have signal).  If two do have picture, it's often flickering and/or much too dark. Sometimes all four monitors show black from boot (but do have signal).  I must sleep and wake, and then all four get a working picture and it works fine from then on.

With my AMD Vega 64: If I have more than one monitor connected on boot, all will be either black or flashing on/off, sometimes showing a green square.  I cannot then put the system to sleep - SSHing in and trying "sudo pmset sleepnow" says it cannot sleep and gives an error code.  Therefore, because I can't sleep, I can't resolve the issue. 

The only way I can get the Vega 64 to work is to boot with only one monitor connected, sleep and wake, then plug the rest in.  With the R9 280X I can boot with all four connected, but still must sleep and wake before they can all be used.

Also, while a boot on the Vega 64 will always work with only one monitor connected, unless I use a particular DP port I won't actually get a usable picture from boot.  Using any of the other 5 ports results in garbled blocks in the centre of the screen, with the resolution appearing to be 800x600 - the mouse cursor works fine and I can move it around over the garbled blocks, but I can see it's limited to a small area in the middle of the screen.

The same GPUs work fine in both of my UEFI boot machines.  So I'm sure it must be a legacy boot issue.  I've tried injecting various properties via a GPU SSDT, eg trying to set specific framebuffer, disabling AGDC, and other random properties I've seen in GPU SSDTs, but so far haven't found anything that makes a difference.

I'm just wondering if anyone has encountered this and knows of any solution? 

I know it's a long shot to get anything working perfectly in these old systems, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Edited by TheBloke

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry for my absent, I didn't touch the machine for quite sometime, but then this weekend I did some works on my OpenCore (OC) partition, with OC version 0.7.5 I managed to have verbose mode working, shutdown and restart also work.

Problems:

1. Wakeup from sleep cause a CMOS reset

2. Tried to install Big Sur but the installation stuck at : CryptoAlloc:674: Using 64 buffers with size 16384, 512 buffers size 65536

I disabled ApfsDriverLoader.efi in the config.plist and after a few reboots (assisted with reset button*) Big Sur is up.

Updated to 11.6.1, seems stable: shutdown, restart, sleep/wake work

Next task is to create the USB mapping.  

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 7.46.18 PM.png

Edited by aikidoka25
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 1:49 AM, aikidoka25 said:

I disabled ApfsDriverLoader.efi in the config.plist and after a few reboots (assisted with reset button*) Big Sur is up.

Could you share your EFI-Folder with me? I'm in sort of a pinch: OC is set up and works (though I didn't test every feature, due to their uses to me) with Catalina up to 10.15.7, but the Big Sur Update gave me [EB|LOG:EXITBS:START] and I don't know, what else to do (besides following the dortania guide, which obviously got me nowhere up until now). I didn't try verbose boot with Monterey (yet), but I'm quite sure it gives me the same error. I'm currently tinkering on an X58A-UD7 with an X5690, 48GB of Corsair Dominator, a Vega VII and my systems placed on (different) Samsung Pro SSDs. Furthermore I've got a Sonnet 10G Ethernet Card, a Gigabyte Titan Ridge (flashed firmware) and an Inateck USB 3.0 Card, if it is of any importance. (And two optical drives and an Apple LED cinema display).

Kind regards and keep up the good work folks!

Edit: I'm using MacPro 6,1 SMBios for being able to update and a full blown customized DSDT (I tried without, back, when on 0.5.X but got nowhere, also important for Power Management). Kexts I use: AppleALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, RTL8111(by Mieze) and VirtualSMC.

Furthermore I'm trying via the Mac OS upgrade in the settings. I heard something about a restore method, but neither do I know, what it is and how it works, nor did I/could I try.

Edit2: I'm trying to keep away from SSDTs, because back in 0.6.X I had issues, where my system wouldn't boot, or my Windows was getting messed up, due to SSDT injection, so I try to keep it short. The culprit was mostly property injection (those showing up under "PCI" in SysInfo), I think. My DSDT was the only .aml-file, that wouldn't give me a hard time, so I kept it and scratched the rest. For that reason (and of course that my USB ports got assigned to EH01 and EH02 mostly, so no limit problems there), I never bothered with a USB-Map (although I can't tell, whether it was wise in my case). If I recall correctly, I also don't have an XHCI tree in my IOReg

Edited by SuDoDmz
spelling correction
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@SuDoDmz I use standard files from OpenCore project, except the DSDT.aml that was built specific for this board and CPU, almost the same DSDT since Snow Leopard.

From my experience, when installing Big Sur I suggest you to remove any USB dongles (WiFi, Bluetooth).

Edited by aikidoka25

On 12/6/2021 at 1:44 AM, aikidoka25 said:

@SuDoDmz I use standard files from OpenCore project, except the DSDT.aml that was built specific for this board and CPU, almost the same DSDT since Snow Leopard.

From my experience, when installing Big Sur I suggest you to remove any USB dongles (WiFi, Bluetooth).

Ain't using any in the first place. I have BCM94360CD on an internal PCI adapter. My DSDT is customized, as well and I don't think there are many differences. Devices on the board are specified and PM works (although I'm sure, I didn't make it for this specific CPU). Just for my graphics card I'm using a seperate SSDT (only one besides my DSDT, that doesn't make Windows go BSOD). I'm just having problems creating an USB kext/SSDT, because apparently this board has internal hub devices and they don't light up, when plugging sth. in. What I'm really interested in is your config.plist. Every now and then, I still try to find a solution to my problem. I've skipped Big Sur already, I'm trying Monterey, but still same problem. The way I see it, everything else on our builds is equal (in matters of configuration, at least).

On 11/14/2021 at 7:49 AM, aikidoka25 said:

hey friend can you share EFI OC 0.7.5 i use X58 too
I am currently using Big sur 11.6.1 Clover 5142. Thank you very much

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 8:29 AM, aikidoka25 said:

Here is the contents on the EFI partition. all files are from OpenCore GitHub, except the DSDT.aml

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 8.25.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 8.25.46 PM.png

I've been trying to figure out how to boot and install with opencore for more than a month and still can't boot.but i can use clover 5142 on X58 mobo with monterey 12.1 if you do tutorial or send me complete EFI opencore.will be very grateful And it will be useful to other fellow members as well. with respect

On 1/5/2022 at 6:03 AM, diamondhackintosh said:

I've been trying to figure out how to boot and install with opencore for more than a month and still can't boot.but i can use clover 5142 on X58 mobo with monterey 12.1 if you do tutorial or send me complete EFI opencore.will be very grateful And it will be useful to other fellow members as well. with respect

If you can use Clover 5142 I think you are almost there, because the last Clover I used was before 5100. 

From what I read, I cannot upgrade to Monterey, at least not before I change the display adapter. It is GTX 760 at the moment.

I don't have step by step guide but I can give you few suggestions from my experience.

1. The boot disk should on the first SATA port of the motherboard, I found this behaviour on the older version of OpenCore, I haven"t tried if the new version fixed this issue.
  2. Start with OpenCore debug release, so you could deduct where is the error. Was it during OpenCore reboot? Or was it in macOS? Once it works, we can replace the binaries with the release version.
  3. Use ../Utilities/ocvalidate/ocvalidate to validate the config plist, OpenCore wouldn't boot at all if you have a wrong config.
  4. If you have dsdt.aml in Clover, I suggest to keep using it with OpenCore.
  5. Sometimes macOS cannot boot if there was certain usb dongle attached, like bluetooth or wifi. Remove it before booting, you can plug it back after you are in macOS. I think this is due to the USB port mapping that I haven't corrected. 

Good luck :)

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 4:10 AM, aikidoka25 said:

If you can use Clover 5142 I think you are almost there, because the last Clover I used was before 5100. 

From what I read, I cannot upgrade to Monterey, at least not before I change the display adapter. It is GTX 760 at the moment.

I don't have step by step guide but I can give you few suggestions from my experience.

1. The boot disk should on the first SATA port of the motherboard, I found this behaviour on the older version of OpenCore, I haven"t tried if the new version fixed this issue.
  2. Start with OpenCore debug release, so you could deduct where is the error. Was it during OpenCore reboot? Or was it in macOS? Once it works, we can replace the binaries with the release version.
  3. Use ../Utilities/ocvalidate/ocvalidate to validate the config plist, OpenCore wouldn't boot at all if you have a wrong config.
  5. Sometimes macOS cannot boot if there was certain usb dongle attached, like bluetooth or wifi. Remove it before booting, you can plug it back after you are in macOS. I think this is due to the USB port mapping that I haven't corrected. 

Thank you for your advice.

On 1/7/2022 at 6:10 AM, Rocky12 said:

Thank you

On 1/6/2022 at 10:10 PM, aikidoka25 said:

Have you succeeded in mapping the USB ports? My attempt ended in utter failure. Turns out my UD7 has internal Hubs, which are just visible through hackintool, but still don't light up, when used. I thought I ought to finish that, before moving on, because I noticed strange USB behavior at times, like not recognizing a device, kinda like it's overloaded.

Edited by SuDoDmz

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2022 at 11:54 AM, SuDoDmz said:

Have you succeeded in mapping the USB ports? My attempt ended in utter failure. Turns out my UD7 has internal Hubs, which are just visible through hackintool, but still don't light up, when used. I thought I ought to finish that, before moving on, because I noticed strange USB behavior at times, like not recognizing a device, kinda like it's overloaded.

I didn't have much progress, for an unknown reason Hackintool froze, before it froze if opened after wakeup from sleep, now it froze if opened after a fresh boot.

I only use a Bluetooth and a wifi adapter, and now I have them plugged on the Apple Keyboard which is a hub hence not affected by USB port limit.