Glitches and Lags with UHD 620

black.dragon74

10 posts in this topic

Hey there!

I am struggling to get UHD 620 working properly on macOS Mojave 10.14.2. The graphic drivers are loading and system report says "Intel HD Graphics 620 1536 MB".

I will try my best to explain the situation I am facing.

So the system boots up pretty fast till first stage Apple Logo, At the second stage, when the screen flickers for a tiny bit of second, progress bar always seems to get stuck. After waiting for a couple of seconds, the mouse pointer comes, stating the login screen has loaded.

Then I can type in the password and hit enter to login, I'll just see a spinning bar overlapping the Apple Logo and then, we can see a very faded out desktop.

As the desktop fades in to screen normally, in my case, it get's stuck at the initial fade state. At this point if I plugin in HDMI cable, the screen becomes normal and I get display both on HDMI and internal display.

Then, I get stutters and lags like, If I delete a file from desktop, it would be deleted but the icon still stays there until I relaunch Finder or Navigate the same location from the Finder window.

The launchpad opening and closing is very smooth, like it is when the graphics is working normally. The lags can be more specifically said to be rendering delays. As in, the actual stuff is happening only it is not being visually updated.

When we open System Prefs any of the sub prefs will not load or it will load and the title would say "Loading General, Loading Displays or Loading XYZ"

But we can access the prefpane if we open it directly by right clicking on System Pref icon and choosing the appropriate option.

If I type something in 'Terminal' a few letters will be (visually) shown while in the background, everything is working, If I minimize terminal or resize it's window, the text get's rendered/updated.

I have also tried with Skylake spoofing with both on HS and Mojave, The issue is the same.

Also, If I adjust the graphics brightness from the prefpane, If I directly click at the point that I want, the display behaves normally whereas if I slide gradually, entire window crashes and I am sent back to the login screen.

Same crash happens when I use the brightness keys to adjust the brightness.

One thing to note: In any case, when some freeze happens, I can connect or disconnect HDMI to get the screen back to normal.

I am being this vague as I seriously can't understand what is happening in this case.

Tried with fixing EDID, changing color depth, and what not. The issue prevails. Please have a look and guide me on what to do next.

I am attaching the full PR files for the review.

Also, here is a video in case my explanation was not quite clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYaJbJhl8kU

P.S: Specs are not in my signature as I do not own this machine. Specs can be found in preboot.log

Regards

debug_25780.zip

Something is telling me that this is not a video problem.  It might be a disk problem or memory problem.  it also seems like it is more likely a hardware problem than software.  Can you confirm that you have no similar problems running Windows or other OS?

EDIT:  After reviewing your debug files, it appears that something weird is going on with your system memory.  Does it display accurately in System Info?  You might also want to try injecting Intel graphics in Clover.  I didn't see a DSDT patch for your PCI ID for your GPU.  I use Fake PCIID 0x59168086 for Intel GFX.

Edited by mnfesq

On 1/12/2019 at 12:14 AM, mnfesq said:

Can you confirm that you have no similar problems running Windows or other OS?

I face no such problems when running Windows / Linux

Does it display accurately in System Info?

Yes.

You might also want to try injecting Intel graphics in Clover.  I didn't see a DSDT patch for your PCI ID for your GPU.  I use Fake PCIID 0x59168086 for Intel GFX.

Tried using it too.

The problem is Graphics Drivers load fine but then, I still keep on facing glitches, The glitches start from after the second stage Apple logo. I suspect that eDP connector type might be an issue?

I am a developer myself so I can assure that I am using the appropriate patches. I don't know about IGPU registers and stuff and hence I'm not able to figure it out.

Can you also confirm that your display connector type?

How to find the connector type:

1. Open Windows
  2. Right Click and select "Intel Graphics Settings"
  3. In "UHD Graphics control panel", select options and support.
  4. Select "Built-in Display" from the drop down on the left
  5. Look for "Connector Type"

Also regarding the hardware problem, look at the video at: 

@vit9696 Sorry to quote you but can you please have a look at the files once for me and maybe suggest something to try.

My debug files are attached here

Regards

9 hours ago, black.dragon74 said:

I face no such problems when running Windows / Linux

Yes.

Tried using it too.

The problem is Graphics Drivers load fine but then, I still keep on facing glitches, The glitches start from after the second stage Apple logo. I suspect that eDP connector type might be an issue?

I am a developer myself so I can assure that I am using the appropriate patches. I don't know about IGPU registers and stuff and hence I'm not able to figure it out.

Can you also confirm that your display connector type?

How to find the connector type:

1. Open Windows
  2. Right Click and select "Intel Graphics Settings"
  3. In "UHD Graphics control panel", select options and support.
  4. Select "Built-in Display" from the drop down on the left
  5. Look for "Connector Type"

Here's what I get: 

213790308_UHD620.thumb.jpg.c0ea8c263c022667671f1b7bba6eae6a.jpg

I noticed that you had 2 displays.  What happens when you disconnect your external display?  Does your internal display work any better?  Do you have the same lag with the external display or only the internal display?

9 hours ago, mnfesq said:

I noticed that you had 2 displays.  What happens when you disconnect your external display?  Does your internal display work any better?  Do you have the same lag with the external display or only the internal display?

Same lag on both the displays. Your internal display is also eDP. But I wonder why mine ain’t working. 

Btw, I have VivoBook S15 S530UN, you have S15 X530UN, what is the difference between them two? 

Also, do you have a 4K panel?

Regards

Edited by black.dragon74

15 hours ago, black.dragon74 said:

Same lag on both the displays. Your internal display is also eDP. But I wonder why mine ain’t working. 

Btw, I have VivoBook S15 S530UN, you have S15 X530UN, what is the difference between them two? 

Also, do you have a 4K panel?

Regards

I have an HP laptop, not Asus.  It does have a 4k display.  Your's appears to be FHD (1920x1080).  

Have you experimented with different SMBIOS?  It seems like everyone that has trouble with UHD 620 has FHD displays.  What if you tried the new MacMini SMBIOS?  It's for CoffeeLake, not KabyLake but there is no defined display so it must accept more display types than MacBookPro.  Otherwise, you might try to make a DSDT patch that spoofs a UHD display and makes your FHD display a compatible type.  You would just need the PID/VID for a UHD display (mine for example) and make your PID/VID a compatible model. There are several existing DSDT patches that spoof models.  You would just need to put one in the proper location with the property PIDs/VIDs.  Just a thought.