Mojave 10.14.1 Breaks Radeon Hardware Decoding (no IGPU)

Fraught

42 posts in this topic

It seems that 10.14.1 has broken AppleGVA-provided hardware video decoding, where before it was working fine on 10.14.0.

My current config:

- MacPro5,1 SMBIOS with E5-1650v2 CPU
- Latest WEG/LILU, with boot-args "agdpmod=pikera shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94" (so using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS for GVA)
- Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 (I also tested on a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 570)

This worked fine in 10.14.0. I don't use iTunes DRM/Airplay or FCPX, but things that did work: Exporting videos out of Photos app, system-provided hardware decoding (specifically videos in Vivaldi browser, since they fall back to macOS due to not providing their own video stack). Self-compiled VDADecoderChecker reported "Hardware acceleration is fully supported".

In 10.14.1, I can't get any decoding working. Stuff I've tried:

- Other board-ids, either in SMBIOS or via WEG
- Dummy kexts to ensure IOGVAHEVCDecode / VTMaxDecodeLevel / etc are set
- Removing WEG/Lilu
- Other Shiki flags

- These preferences:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder force

None of those things worked for decoding acceleration.

You can replace AppleGVA.framework in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks with the 10.14.0 version, which does work. I don't like this solution, though, because it's likely to cause more problems, especially in the long run.

Perhaps this patch no longer works? It's way out of my depth, though. I don't have that flag set now, but I did experiment with it.

I attached the 10.14.0 AppleGVA.framework in case anybody on 10.14.1 finds this thread and wants to revert, but doesn't want to go through the trouble of digging it out.

Happy to hear other suggestions or ideas for solutions!

AppleGVA.framework-10.14.0.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed with a Vega 64. Both H.264 and HEVC are encoded by the CPU since 10.14.1. Switched back to iMac18,3 and Quick Sync for now but even with Quick Sync the encoding got slower because it doesn't use both GPUs anymore. Bug will likely be fixed in 10.14.2.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

thanks for providing AppleGVA 10.4.0 in this thread. Replacing the file after updating 10.14.1 against the older 10.14.0 version also helped in my case. I have a RX580 and after upgrading to 10.14.1 I was not able to play Netflix on Safari anymore or to watch iTunes movies. After replacing to the older version everything is fine.

But:

How did you get hardware acceleration work for VideoPROC? In my case it does not work. My IGPU is disabled in BIOS and I have no WEG in kext-Folder and no -shikigva-option in the bootflags.

But I also tried with WEG and different shikigva-settings.

Regards,

Florian

On 11/24/2018 at 3:42 AM, fzahn said:

Hi,

thanks for providing AppleGVA 10.4.0 in this thread. Replacing the file after updating 10.14.1 against the older 10.14.0 version also helped in my case. I have a RX580 and after upgrading to 10.14.1 I was not able to play Netflix on Safari anymore or to watch iTunes movies. After replacing to the older version everything is fine.

But:

How did you get hardware acceleration work for VideoPROC? In my case it does not work. My IGPU is disabled in BIOS and I have no WEG in kext-Folder and no -shikigva-option in the bootflags.

But I also tried with WEG and different shikigva-settings.

Regards,

Florian

Same for me, I lost DRM iTunes after 10.14.1 and even the beta 3 of 10.14.2 didn't helped...

30 minutes ago, ho3in said:

any help?

You are probably not getting an answer because you are in the wrong thread to ask help for this issue. This thread is about Radeon GPU Hardware Decoding without a iGPU, you need to start another thread of find a thread that is about Iris 630 iGPUs.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:54 PM, Pavo said:

Working fine for me with no iGPU and only Vega 64 and I am on 10.14.2 beta 2

QUdinvj.png

I downloaded that link to test my card and I get nothing, see attached

but I have my card recognised in System information :(  any clues as to why that is ???

Screenshot 2018-11-26 at 19.13.51.png

Screenshot 2018-11-26 at 19.14.13.png

So, no other way than replacing AppleGVA framework with the 10.14.0 version?  It works for 10.14.1 and 10.14.2 beta 3 (so I assume it is still broken, hoping it will be ok for the official 10.14.2 release!). Just worrying that this workaround could be broken in the subsequent versions (10.14.3 and over).

Edited by brousseau6933

1 hour ago, brousseau6933 said:

So, no other way than replacing AppleGVA framework with the 10.14.0 version?  It works for 10.14.1 and 10.14.2 beta 3 (so I assume it is still broken, hoping it will be ok for the official 10.14.2 release!). Just worrying that this workaround could be broken in the subsequent versions (10.14.3 and over).

Ive got HEVC and H.264 encode/decode working in 10.14.2. Im currently using the iMac15,1 SmBIOS and the attached modified kext in Clover/other. "This kext is not my work". I was using the iMac14,2 but H.264 would not encode via my RX580. Give it a shot :)

HEVC.10.14.1.kext.zip

21 hours ago, tikizondo94 said:

Ive got HEVC and H.264 encode/decode working in 10.14.2. Im currently using the iMac15,1 SmBIOS and the attached modified kext in Clover/other. "This kext is not my work". I was using the iMac14,2 but H.264 would not encode via my RX580. Give it a shot :)

HEVC.10.14.1.kext.zip

Thanks,

I'll try it but in my case, I have absolutely no need to encode. But if this kext permits to read iTunes movies under 10.14.1 without the need to replace AppleGVA framework, goal achieved!

On 11/27/2018 at 6:25 PM, tikizondo94 said:

HEVC.10.14.1.kext.zip

As per someone on a French Hackintosh forum, the HEVC kext remove the need to replace the GVA framework. iTunes DRM works with it.

Thanks a bunch...

Edited by brousseau6933
  • Like 1

Hi guys.

I'm experiencing the same problem, however either installation of HEVC.10.14.1.kext or swapping the new AppleGVA.framework for the old 10.14.0 version is helping me anything.

I also tried updating WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext for the newest versions available, but that resulted in my secondary monitors (that are rotated), to start having problems with the rotation every time I restarted! 

Everything else is working. Just hardware decoding missing on my RX 580.

My specs are :

Core i9 on a Asrock Taichi Motherboard (All cores working)

32 gb DDR4 ram

Radeon RX 580 8gb

Using iMac 19,1 smbios with FakeSMC,kext, IntelMausiEthernet.kext, Lilu.kext, VoodooTSCSync.kext, WhateverGreen.kext and X99_Injector USB 3.kext

Hope someone can help.

Kind regards, Morten

Welcome to the club mbagger,

The fellow on the french forum has an RX580 and:

- He has another SMBIOS;

- He could read iTunes stream but not downloaded movies...

- He uses only HEVC kext.

In my case, SMBIOS iMac 14,2: I can read iTunes downloaded movies but only if I replace the AppleGVA framework. HEVC kext does nothing for me... (I have an RX560).

If I use Whatevergreen in 10.14.0, iTunes crashes immediately but I don't need it anyway for DRM iTunes. On 10.14.1 or 14.2, WhateverGreen doesn't crash iTunes but DRM movies don't work???

Maybe we should submit something to the developper of WhateverGreen?

Edited by brousseau6933

Because of my core i9 and x299 mobo, I'm a little bit limited in regards of SMBIOS....

Everything plays fine in iTunes, as far as I can see. Just any video above 1080p is not playing. That goes for browsers, iTunes etc. I haven't tried any DRM content!

Maybe the problems lies with Whatevergreen?? I am simply not technical enough, or enough into to the Hackintosh world, to have any clue really! :-)

12 hours ago, mbagger said:

Because of my core i9 and x299 mobo, I'm a little bit limited in regards of SMBIOS....

Everything plays fine in iTunes, as far as I can see. Just any video above 1080p is not playing. That goes for browsers, iTunes etc. I haven't tried any DRM content!

Ok, no movies downloaded for iTunes? Only streaming? What did you do: HEVC kext or AppleGVA framework replacement? Lilu, WEG?

Thanks,

Patrice

Edited by brousseau6933

On 11/1/2018 at 1:33 PM, Fraught said:

It seems that 10.14.1 has broken AppleGVA-provided hardware video decoding, where before it was working fine on 10.14.0.

My current config:

- MacPro5,1 SMBIOS with E5-1650v2 CPU
- Latest WEG/LILU, with boot-args "agdpmod=pikera shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94" (so using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS for GVA)
- Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 (I also tested on a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 570)

This worked fine in 10.14.0. I don't use iTunes DRM/Airplay or FCPX, but things that did work: Exporting videos out of Photos app, system-provided hardware decoding (specifically videos in Vivaldi browser, since they fall back to macOS due to not providing their own video stack). Self-compiled VDADecoderChecker reported "Hardware acceleration is fully supported".

In 10.14.1, I can't get any decoding working. Stuff I've tried:

- Other board-ids, either in SMBIOS or via WEG
- Dummy kexts to ensure IOGVAHEVCDecode / VTMaxDecodeLevel / etc are set
- Removing WEG/Lilu
- Other Shiki flags

- These preferences:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder force

None of those things worked for decoding acceleration.

You can replace AppleGVA.framework in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks with the 10.14.0 version, which does work. I don't like this solution, though, because it's likely to cause more problems, especially in the long run.

Perhaps this patch no longer works? It's way out of my depth, though. I don't have that flag set now, but I did experiment with it.

I attached the 10.14.0 AppleGVA.framework in case anybody on 10.14.1 finds this thread and wants to revert, but doesn't want to go through the trouble of digging it out.

Happy to hear other suggestions or ideas for solutions!

AppleGVA.framework-10.14.0.zip

Thanks for your workaround, I've tried a lot of things since:

- HEVC.10.14.1.kext mentionned in this thread;

- AMDRadeonEllesmereGVA.kext;

- With or without WhateverGreen;

- Replaced IOPCIMatch value (with mine, Radeon RX 560 so 0x67FF1002) at different places in HEVC.10.14.1 and AMDRadeonEllesmere kexts;

- different Shiki bootflags...

None of this worked, so no iTunes movies playing in my case. Reverted back to the 10.14.0 framework but I don't like it neither.

Also, trying beta 3 of 10.14.2, it was still broken so I fear I'll to keep the 10.14.0 framework for the 10.14.2 official update...

Any success on your side?

Edited by brousseau6933