The Beast

Erroruser

11 posts in this topic

Brumbaer, just watched your video on youtube, very competent with all the necessary comparisons for quick reference! You've got great scores!!!

I am thinking about making a build very similar to yours, but I need at least 64 GB of Ram for simulations in Houdini.

23 hours ago, errorexists said:

@Brumbaer that a nice score i was thinking of doing a o/c to test out an see what it has an thinking of going with a ROG Maximus XI Hero or just stick in the prime area

Go ahead 5GHz on all cores should always be possible. Whether you go higher or not is just a question of your cooling solution and the strength of your wish to pass 7000/40000 :)

Of course a 4% higher benchmark score can not be felt in daily operation, but sometimes you just have to cross that line of nice round numbers :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Brumbaer, I'm also considering changing my system into the Z390 platform with the I9-9900k and I've also seen your youtube video from here, but I've got a couple of questions for you please:

• What's the Thunderbolt 3 chip in Z390 Phantom Gaming itx/ac ? is it the Titan Ridge ?
  • The model of the BCM43602 compatible card (M.2 Adapter) you've used ?
  • Liquid cooling:
    • You've used a EKB Liquid cooler with two 280mm Radiators and a custom controller for pump and fans - Can you supply part numbers ?
    • Also, I've got an AIO Corsair H110i GTX on my existing system - Do you think it can also reach those 5.2 Ghz speeds ? 
  • I'm assuming that you had to disable the Intel® 2T2R Wlan/BT in the UEFI BIOS right ?
  • Are you able to get full shutdown/restart & sleep features ?
  • What do you think about Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme (besides being very $$$) ?

Thanks ;-)

Edited by augustopaulo

What's the Thunderbolt 3 chip in Z390 Phantom Gaming itx/ac ? is it the Titan Ridge ?

No, Alpine Ridge

The model of the BCM43602 compatible card (M.2 Adapter) you've used ?

Some Chinese models for/from "Mac" off ebay. The Adapter might have been from Amazon, I'm not sure, I bought 3 adapters two years ago and haven't needed any more in the meantime.

You've used a EKB Liquid cooler with two 280mm Radiators and a custom controller for pump and fans - Can you supply part numbers ?

Not within easy reach, check their website, there is only one 140mm series. The Fans I use are Noctuas not EKB.

Also, I've got an AIO Corsair H110i GTX on my existing system - Do you think it can also reach those 5.2 Ghz speeds ? 

It depends on so many factors. If your processor is able to reach 5.2 GHz, it will do so with a H110, if only for a short while. As soon as the water heats up too much, the system will crash or throttle the cpu clock.  You do not have only to get the heat from the cpu, but also from the cooling loop. With so much heat, your fans will have to run faster and even if you tolerate the noise, this might still be not enough. Just, try it out.

I'm assuming that you had to disable the Intel® 2T2R Wlan/BT in the UEFI BIOS right ?

No, doesn't make sense, because I replaced the card. If I disable it, the new card will be disabled. 

Are you able to get full shutdown/restart & sleep features ?

Yes

What do you think about Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme (besides being very $$$) ?

I have no experience with it, so I can neither recommend nor advice against it.

• Like 1