PippoX0

16 posts in this topic

Good News ....

There is free tools released by Paragon

APFS to HFS+ CONVERTER

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/apfs-hfs-converter/

Features

• Convert APFS volumes to HFS+ volumes.
  • Create a recovery media in case of system disk conversion.
  • Wizard helps to select the desired volume for conversion, gives you the option to back it up, then quickly performs the conversion.
  • Support of APFS and HFS+ volumes on internal and external disks.

I will give a try

See Ya

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, PippoX0 said:

Yeah, but i have a multibooting system with OSes from Lion to HSierra.

Back compability for me is a must ....

Easiest way to do that would be to use a different HDD for each OS, not a partition on 1x HDD. This would allow you to make sure everything technology is separated.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pavo said:

I don't see the need to convert to older file system, people need to get with technology not go against it.

Many people have issues if apfs gets loaded onto their HDD, it’s good for SSDs but kills performance of mechanical drives.    This is a good tool if it works for users with that problem IMO.   Apfs is new and has some bugs like having 3 or 4 visible boot options of which only 2 are necessary.   With multiple drives connected it gets crowded unless you know how to hide the partitions in clover GUI settings.   I can see this being useful for many folks that dont have the knowledge to manipulate apfs formats.

Edited by Gigamaxx
  • Like 2

Piker Alpha did say that APFS is not very safe to use on an hackintosh, because of the lack of the apple firmware of an hackintosh could lead to problems such as memory errors not detected or problems with memory operations not dectected, and potentially data loss and curroption over time, that's why i prefer to not use it (and also because of the lack of the apple firmware you get also the error print while using apfs on an hackintosh)

Edited by ITzTravelInTime
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gigamaxx said:

Yes

I made a Recovery disk with the Paragon Apfs converter.

When I run the PC again, I do not show the USB Recovery converter in the start menu of the clover.

USB Boot with Clover does not appear in the Start menu.

Edited by luky35

Piker Alpha did say that APFS is not very safe to use on an hackintosh, because of the lack of the apple firmware of an hackintosh could lead to problems such as memory errors not detected or problems with memory operations not dectected, and potentially data loss and curroption over time, that's why i prefer to not use it (and also because of the lack of the apple firmware you get also the error print while using apfs on an hackintosh)

I was wondering why i didn’t get familiarized with that APFS, from High Sierra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, neither of my Hackintoshes boot with APFS.  I've tried a few different options to get it to boot, but after installation it just sits on a black screen, unless I keep the thumb drive inserted in the PC while booting.  

1 hour ago, Halfpint1210 said:

Yeah, neither of my Hackintoshes boot with APFS.  I've tried a few different options to get it to boot, but after installation it just sits on a black screen, unless I keep the thumb drive inserted in the PC while booting.  

In this case, use APFS.efi or APFSDriverLoader.efi in the drivers64UEFI folder of the installed macOS drive. Do not use them both, only one of them should be present in that folder!

APFS.efi

APFSDriverLoader.efi

• Like 1

SOME EXPERIMENTS

HI,

i have found some spare time to make some experiments

1) First I have copied High Sierra HFS+ ( 15 GB) to an empty partition (25 GB) 

I have Tried to convert to APFS with disk utility - > NO way , Convert to APFS was grayed 

The I have wiped the partition and I have formatted APFS and then copied HSierra - all ok.

I have booted with Clover to be sure that High Sierra APFS was ready - OK booted and working ok

Now I have an APFS System to make experiments on ...

2) Then I have installed Paragon APFS Converter on High Sierra APFS

I have tried to Convert the APFS system partition from the booted one

but it is not possible to convert onthefly APFS - No Way

I have created the RECOVERY + APFS Converter USB pen and I have tried it with Clover - No Way 

Clover doesn't recognize Recovery USB PEN ( I think we have to add some files ...) -> a workaround would be found ....

3) So I have booted another OS ( High Sierra HFS+) and from there I have tried to Convert back High Sierra APFS to HFS+

The converter needs a TEMP partition ( with enough space) to make conversion

i have created an empty image DMG ( 35 GB)

now the APS Converter has started .....

During conversion the drive is unmonted ( that's logic)!

Stay tuned for results ....

Edited by PippoX0

CONCLUSION

Conversion was taking too long ( more than one hour ...)

I stopped it ...:thumbsdown_anim:

To convert from HFS+ to APS is better a manual solution ....

1. Create an empty APFS partition

2. Copy HFS+ to APFS with SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner ...  ( Very fast solution 5-10 minutes )

3. Boot with Clover

To Convert from APFS to HFS+ ( as before )

1. Create an empty HFS+ partition

2. Copy APFS to HFS+ with SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner ...  ( Very fast solution 5-10 minutes )

3. Boot with Clover or Enoch

See Ya

• 2 months later...
On 7/12/2018 at 10:55 AM, ammoune78 said:

In this case, use APFS.efi or APFSDriverLoader.efi in the drivers64UEFI folder of the installed macOS drive. Do not use them both, only one of them should be present in that folder!

APFS.efi

APFSDriverLoader.efi

Ok, thanks!  I will try it soon!  

I've tried most methods and have had the odd catastrophe with everything except the good old format a seperate disk and use CCC to do a copy. Only properly safe way imho.

As an aside, I used hfs by preference until I discovered (I use 2 partitions - one for H.S. and 1 for Mojave) I can use volumes instead of partitions. This means that they are dynamic so I can use any un-used disk space for either volume - don't need to set a partition size at the beginning...