Installer not detecting hard drives, HP Ultrabook 15 Ivy Bridge

RandomTech

22 posts in this topic

As in title I'm having problem with installing Clover EFI 10.12 or 10.13 on my HP Sleekbook 15 Ivy Bridge

The installer is loading all good but not detecting hard drives SSD or HDD, when I'm in Disk Utility it shows only the USB installer, no any other hard drives.

HP Pavilion Ultrabook 15-b035eg

CPU: 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5-3317U with HD 4000

GPU: GT 630M (will be disabled)

RAM: 8 GB DDR3

Disabled Legacy boot in BIOS and it loads from UEFI installer USB just fine.

Any kind of help is much appreciated.

Edited by RandomTech

Checked again and all seem ok as the guide requires, trying now Yosemite which doesn't require apfs but still the same.

installed Windows 10 to check if is HDD/SSD problem but all went good for Windows.

So now, macOS 10.13, 10.12 and OS X 10.10 doesn't recognize installed hard drives in Disk Utility :(

8 minutes ago, RandomTech said:

in BIOS I have option to enable/disable Legacy, when I disable it then only the UEFI partitions shows up which I think BIOS is correct

Can you set the BIOS to legacy and then choose the UEFI first? I had some troubles with Lenovo UEFI based laptops and when I only chose the UEFI for booting it couldn't recognize the bootable devices.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Can you set the BIOS to legacy and then choose the UEFI first? I had some troubles with Lenovo UEFI based laptops and when I only chose the UEFI for booting it couldn't recognize the bootable devices.

In my Lenovo I can do the both.

Boot only in UEFI or for boot some USB devices, I use UEFI first and Legacy as second.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Allan said:

In my Lenovo I can do the both.

Boot only in UEFI or for boot some USB devices, I use UEFI first and Legacy as second.

Sorry for going off-topic but:

Yes all the new laptops have this feature but for some reason whenever I tried to boot from a UEFI bootable USB disk it couldn't boot so I changed the main boot feature to Legacy and chose the UEFI as the first and it worked. The laptop I was trying to install windows on was also Lenovo (IdeaPad 320)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

I can boot with the installer with any option I have done and always, my problem is the Disk Utility not showing the hard drive to let me format and install, it shows only the installer USB

11 minutes ago, RandomTech said:

I can boot with the installer with any option I have done and always, my problem is the Disk Utility not showing the hard drive to let me format and install, it shows only the installer USB

Did you create the installer using the createinstallmedia method? and is the hard disks set to AHCI in BIOS/UEFI?

Edited by Cyberdevs
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Did you create the installer using the createinstallmedia method? and is the hard disks set to AHCI in BIOS/UEFI?

I think is AHCI the problem but cannot see any option to change it in BIOS.

Im afraid this Ivy Bridge laptop is using IDE and I can see no option to switch between IDE or AHCI

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RandomTech said:

I think is AHCI the problem but cannot see any option to change it in BIOS.

Im afraid this Ivy Bridge laptop is using IDE and I can see no option to switch between IDE or AHCI

Well that's the problem, as far as I know you can use IDE interface for older Mac OS X versions such as Snow Leopard and Lion (and maybe even the Mountain Lion) but for newer versions of macOS you need to have the AHCI support in the BIOS. Check with the HP website and see if there's a BIOS update for your laptop.

4 minutes ago, gengik84 said:

Try... add Ahciportinjector.kext in Efi's folder

The link is broken?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Check with the HP website and see if there's a BIOS update for your laptop.

Tried that already :yes: but no bios there it seems HP dropped the support for this model which is very understandable

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, gengik84 said:

Hi @gengik84 :)

when I click the link in the first post it says:

We could not find the page you were looking for. Please check the URL or contact an administrator for assistance.

But the second links is working, Thanks :)
  • Like 1