iMac Pro X299 - live the future new with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Successful Guide]

KGP-iMacPro

142 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, dugdiamond said:

hi,

I am currently using High Sierra on a Asus Rampage VI Apex with a patched 1301 BIOS.

I intend on upgrading to Mojave soon.

Before doing so, I wish to have the latest BIOS [1503] installed (to improve stability).

Would anyone be to able the patch this BIOS (attached) for me, please?

Thanks in advance.

ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-APEX-ASUS-1503.zip

No need to patch BIOS 1503! Just manually disabled MSR lock along your BIOS settings. 

• Thanks 1

patched succesfully for 1503, and High Sierra boots as expected.

one more question...

can Mojave be installed directly from High Sierra (upgraded via a succesful High Sierra clover install), or does it has to be done via USB ???

Edited by dugdiamond

1 minute ago, dugdiamond said:

patched succesfully for 1503, and High Sierra boots as expected.

one more question...

can Mojave be installed directly from High Sierra (upgraded via a succesful High Sierra clover install), or does it has to be done via USB ???

you can also directly update to Mojave from your system disk.. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I imagine this is related to the LG 5K Ultrafine display I use, but since installing the Titan Ridge AIO card my machine crashes if I leave it sitting for too long (actually, I think it's crashing when it tries to wake the display). Once this happens, I need to completely power down the entire machine (unplug it from the wall) to get it to boot again - otherwise it stops at the BIOS Post screen saying "Code: AD, Detect HDD".

I assume either the Titan Ridge, or my Vega 64 is being left in an unusable state by whatever is causing this. 

Is anyone else seeing similar issues with their KGP X299 builds?

4 hours ago, Tony Arnold said:

I imagine this is related to the LG 5K Ultrafine display I use, but since installing the Titan Ridge AIO card my machine crashes if I leave it sitting for too long (actually, I think it's crashing when it tries to wake the display). Once this happens, I need to completely power down the entire machine (unplug it from the wall) to get it to boot again - otherwise it stops at the BIOS Post screen saying "Code: AD, Detect HDD".

I assume either the Titan Ridge, or my Vega 64 is being left in an unusable state by whatever is causing this. 

Is anyone else seeing similar issues with their KGP X299 builds?

@Tony Arnold, I clearly state that wake on sleep does not work with TB or USB-C devices connected tot the GC-Titan Ridge at present. Please disable sleep while using the GC-Titan Ridge for now or physically disconnect all TB or USB-C devices before system sleep. 

Any suggestions or contributions for a solution of this remaining issue are highly welcome. All my current attempts to remove this issue unfortunately failed so far. BTW.. I don't hink that the black screen on wake is GPU or display related. 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

12 minutes ago, Tony Arnold said:

@KGP-iMacPro my computer is set to not sleep. I’m beginning to suspect than my 850W PSU isn’t enough. 

I see... thus your issue is not system sleep or wake on sleep related.. that's strange and weird... I do not observe any issue during regular system use. A 850 PSU indeed might reach its limit on your system. Can you remind me about your system specs? You are also using a Vega? Your Skylake-X together with a Vega would already scratch on or even partly exceed the capacity of your current 850W PSU during load conditions. Adding the GC-Titan Ridge TB chain might finally collapse your 850W PSU at some point. Any chance to test a 1000-1500W PSU for some time? In fact I recently observed similar issues on my X99 rig when testing the GC-Titan Ridge , where I just use a 860W PSU... In my case it was definitely the PSU crashing my X99 system, as it's fan after the crash started to rotate like crazy for the first time ever. Also on X99 I use a Nitro+ RX Vega 64 8GB and I overclock my i7-6950X to 4.3 GHz. 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

Unfortunately after a week with the new PSU, the Titan Ridge controller started acting up again. I've had to remove it from my system, and go back to the Alpine Ridge (which while not perfect, does work acceptably). If I had to guess why I'm having issues, it is probably because my primary display output goes via the card, and the display contains a secondary TB3 hub, and USB-C/3.1 hub. 

Anyway, my system is stable again, and I'll have another look at the Titan Ridge in a month or two. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 5:02 PM, Tony Arnold said:

Unfortunately after a week with the new PSU, the Titan Ridge controller started acting up again. I've had to remove it from my system, and go back to the Alpine Ridge (which while not perfect, does work acceptably). If I had to guess why I'm having issues, it is probably because my primary display output goes via the card, and the display contains a secondary TB3 hub, and USB-C/3.1 hub. 

Anyway, my system is stable again, and I'll have another look at the Titan Ridge in a month or two. 

I saw a guy on youtube suggesting that you use a completely different cable from the PSU to the Vega, one per input, not the same cable with a split.

Try that

• 2 weeks later...

My hack wakes up because of this :

(AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RP02 PXSX RP04 PXSX RP06 PXSX RP08 ............

I’m not sure what to do about these ports

Edited by sahbi

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a strange kernel panic when I try to run the Mojave installer.  I'm using your EFI directory as-is.  I set up the bios according to your guide.

"x86_validate_topology() 16 threads but 17 registered from MADT"

Any ideas?

Asus X299 Prime A

Intel i7 9800x
Nvidia RTX 2080 ti

AMD RX 460

Samsung 970 Pro NVME

16gb RAM

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_77b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_77a.jpg

origin.zip

1 minute ago, tio121 said:

I'm having a strange kernel panic when I try to run the Mojave installer.  I'm using your EFI directory as-is.  I set up the bios according to your guide.

"x86_validate_topology() 16 threads but 17 registered from MADT"

Any ideas?

Asus X299 Prime A

Intel i7 9800x
Nvidia RTX 2080 ti

AMD RX 460

Samsung 970 Pro NVME

16gb RAM

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_77b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_77a.jpg

origin.zip

Adopted TSCAdjustReset.kext added to EFI-Folder???? 

Dudes.. no idea why in my latest X299 Mojave EFI-Folder distributions there have been the SMBIOS credentials and all ACPI replacements and kext patches enabled. Everybody using these EFI-Folder please remove the SMBIOS credentials (and replace those implemented by your own) and disable the respective ACPI replacements and kext patches not adequate for your system!  

I just removed EFI-X299-10.14.1-Release-iMacPro1,1-221118 and EFI-X99-10.14.2-Release-iMacPro1,1-101218 from Github and replaced the latter by a modified EFI-X99-10.14.2-Release-iMacPro1,1-101218 version.

Please download the modified EFI-Folder and start from scratch.

Thanks in advance,

KGP

• Haha 1

Dear @KGP-iMacPro Thank you very much for all your hard work and sharing with the community in regards of Thunderbolt connectivity solutions. Would you be so kind to help me and probably other people with slightly another, yet similar configuration of Titan Ridge implementation? I'm really seeing you as an expert and as someone who've achieved a significant progress in this field.

The only difference from regular Titan Ridge add-in card, that you've successfully managed to work, is that on newer Z390 Designare motherboards the chip is already integrated into it. The motherboard have the same two Thunderbolt 3.0 ports and DP Input port on it.

I'm wondering if it is possible at all to make Apple Thunderbolt Display to work and properly communicate with on-board Titan Ridge controller of new Gigabyte Z390 Designare?

I'm having really hard time to connect Apple Thunderbolt display to my new system. I'm using an SSDT files (SSDT-DTPG.aml and SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V3.aml) for Titan Ridge controller which are both based on your solutions and controller itself gets properly recognized in macOS (both NHI and XHC5), but when I plug Apple Thunderbolt display to any of those two Thunderbolt ports nothing happens. IORegistry show no changes in the device's tree, and display stays black and doesn't turn on at all. 

I'd very appreciate if you could point me to the right direction: where should I be looking at? Btw, I also have a Macbook Pro 2012 and Apple Thunderbolt display works perfectly with it. Just thought, that it may help in case of some info/ioreg extraction in order to track something important that I'm currently missing. Thank you in advance.

SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V3.aml

SSDT-DTPG.aml

On 12/21/2018 at 1:21 PM, ALLEX said:

Dear @KGP-iMacPro Thank you very much for all your hard work and sharing with the community in regards of Thunderbolt connectivity solutions. Would you be so kind to help me and probably other people with slightly another, yet similar configuration of Titan Ridge implementation? I'm really seeing you as an expert and as someone who've achieved a significant progress in this field.

The only difference from regular Titan Ridge add-in card, that you've successfully managed to work, is that on newer Z390 Designare motherboards the chip is already integrated into it. The motherboard have the same two Thunderbolt 3.0 ports and DP Input port on it.

I'm wondering if it is possible at all to make Apple Thunderbolt Display to work and properly communicate with on-board Titan Ridge controller of new Gigabyte Z390 Designare?

I'm having really hard time to connect Apple Thunderbolt display to my new system. I'm using an SSDT files (SSDT-DTPG.aml and SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V3.aml) for Titan Ridge controller which are both based on your solutions and controller itself gets properly recognized in macOS (both NHI and XHC5), but when I plug Apple Thunderbolt display to any of those two Thunderbolt ports nothing happens. IORegistry show no changes in the device's tree, and display stays black and doesn't turn on at all. 

I'd very appreciate if you could point me to the right direction: where should I be looking at? Btw, I also have a Macbook Pro 2012 and Apple Thunderbolt display works perfectly with it. Just thought, that it may help in case of some info/ioreg extraction in order to track something important that I'm currently missing. Thank you in advance.

SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V3.aml

SSDT-DTPG.aml

You should take and adapt the actual TB SSDT from the respective Github repository. Verify by both IOREG and „PCI“ section of Apple’s system report that it is properly implemented during boot. 

If you remain with issues we can discuss everything early next year.

During x-mas holdidays I will be mostly unavailable.

4 hours ago, Dwarfy said:

@KGP-iMacPro

Do you prefer TSCAdjustReset.kext for 9900K 8 cores and 16 threads CPU for the Z390 Coffee Lake chipset? 

I don‘t use neither an i9-99xx nor a Z390 chipset. You will need to figure out yourself if a properly adopted TSCAdjustReset.kext is required in your case.

Hi

Trying to run your config on i7-9800x, asus prime x299-a, rx vega 64.

Kernel starts to boot (from USB stick) and i see first screenshot for near 60 seconds, and then i see second screenshot (if i will wait more i see message 'still waiting for root device')

TSCAdjustReset was adopted.

UPDATE: seems that are only one USB port are seen by os x (i can insert usb stick into this port and boot installer). Tried kext-s from XHC-USB-Kext-Library, but no luck :( Keyboard/mouse not working, so i can't install macos in order to create working XHC-USB-Kext config with IoRegistryExplorer. I've also tried to boot high sierra installer (with usb port count patch enabled) - but result the same - no keyboard/mouse.

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

Edited by vladie