iMac Pro X299 - live the future new with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Successful Guide]

KGP-iMacPro

142 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, PunkNugget said:

You got it. I was wondering where is "C.7)?" I couldn't find here. All I could find was C.5) then it went straight to C.9). Maybe I'm looking at the wrong section. :rofl:

Sorry, my bad... I should have referred to C.4!... :wink_anim: 

14 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

Sorry, my bad... I should have referred to C.4!... :wink_anim: 

Thank you. I read through this and noticed that I have to do a clean install. Do I have to do a clean install or do I start on D.6) to nstall this over my existing OS (like I did on the last upgrade)? Let me know, thanks again.

7 hours ago, PunkNugget said:

Thank you. I read through this and noticed that I have to do a clean install. Do I have to do a clean install or do I start on D.6) to nstall this over my existing OS (like I did on the last upgrade)? Let me know, thanks again.

concerning 10.14, I would rather recommend to perform a clean install..  

On 7/11/2018 at 1:33 PM, KGP-iMacPro said:

concerning 10.14, I would rather recommend to perform a clean install..  

Really? Wow! I have so many programs to have to reinstall if I go that route. You sure that I can't install this over my existing OS (10.13.2)? Let me know what you can. By the way, I know you won't be able to answer this until the July 23rd. I'll wait to hear back from you then. :)

2 hours ago, PunkNugget said:

Really? Wow! I have so many programs to have to reinstall if I go that route. You sure that I can't install this over my existing OS (10.13.2)? Let me know what you can. By the way, I know you won't be able to answer this until the July 23rd. I'll wait to hear back from you then. :)

Well you can also just do the update.. but are you sure that all of these programs are already  compatible with 10.14? 

On 7/19/2018 at 2:23 AM, KGP-iMacPro said:

Well you can also just do the update.. but are you sure that all of these programs are already  compatible with 10.14? 

I'm not sure, I usually don't ever worry about that as I've never had that issue. I typically use all the Adobe and Microsoft apps and they've always worked with updates.

Aside from that I had a question that I emailed you, but can also ask here...

I know you mentioned to update the bios to 140 on the X299 board. Will 10.1 3.2 still work under the newer bios update? I just want to find out before I update it. Part of the reason why am asking is because I'm building a backup system and that new set up is going to be:

Asus Prime X299-Deluxe Mobo
Trident 32GB 3200MHz RAM
AMD Pro Duo 32GB (Polaris) GPU
i9-7960X CPU
EVGA T2 1200W PSU 

Again, it’s very similar to my other set up, with the exception that I’m currently using a 1600 W power supply, 64 gigs more RAM, and an i9-7980XE CPU. So all I should have to do is pull out one of my backup hard drives and attach it to that system after I set the bios the same exact way that I have my current bios set up and it should work. That’s reason why I want to find out if I should update the bios? I look forward to your reply here very soon.

Lastly, I just purchased a AMD Radeon Pro Duo 32GB (Polaris) GPU. I'm hoping it performs better than the AMD Radeon Vega Frontier 16GB GPU. I have two links that give you all the specs. How do you think it will perform?

The only issue that I possibly see is that the Vega has a Memory Bus of: 2048 bit, While the Pro Duo has a Memory Bus of: 512 bit. Do you know anything about that?

2 hours ago, PunkNugget said:

I'm not sure, I usually don't ever worry about that as I've never had that issue. I typically use all the Adobe and Microsoft apps and they've always worked with updates.

Aside from that I had a question that I emailed you, but can also ask here...

I know you mentioned to update the bios to 140 on the X299 board. Will 10.1 3.2 still work under the newer bios update? I just want to find out before I update it. Part of the reason why am asking is because I'm building a backup system and that new set up is going to be:

Asus Prime X299-Deluxe Mobo
Trident 32GB 3200MHz RAM
AMD Pro Duo 32GB (Polaris) GPU
i9-7960X CPU
EVGA T2 1200W PSU 

Again, it’s very similar to my other set up, with the exception that I’m currently using a 1600 W power supply, 64 gigs more RAM, and an i9-7980XE CPU. So all I should have to do is pull out one of my backup hard drives and attach it to that system after I set the bios the same exact way that I have my current bios set up and it should work. That’s reason why I want to find out if I should update the bios? I look forward to your reply here very soon.

Lastly, I just purchased a AMD Radeon Pro Duo 32GB (Polaris) GPU. I'm hoping it performs better than the AMD Radeon Vega Frontier 16GB GPU. I have two links that give you all the specs. How do you think it will perform?

The only issue that I possibly see is that the Vega has a Memory Bus of: 2048 bit, While the Pro Duo has a Memory Bus of: 512 bit. Do you know anything about that?

To answer your question concerning the 1401 BIOS update I need to know whether or not you are currently using patched BIOS 1301. 

The Radeon Pro Duo Polaris looks promising.. However one needs to ensure native OS support and a memory bus of 512 bit looks like a bottle neck though.. 

15 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

To answer your question concerning the 1401 BIOS update I need to know whether or not you are currently using patched BIOS 1301. 

The Radeon Pro Duo Polaris looks promising.. However one needs to ensure native OS support and a memory bus of 512 bit looks like a bottle neck though.. 

I couldn't find the BIOS Version until I finally looked at the bottom of the screen:

Version 2.17.1246

So it looks like (according to the Asus Tech Support person), I'm using: 1246. if that's the case, am I safe to update to 1301 or even 1401? Remember I'm using Mac OS X 10.13.2.

Now about the GPUs, I did think about that and also thought about the Memory Bus limit on the Pro Duo card (512 bit). Hopefully that won't be a hinderance. If it is, I'll just sell it for what I paid for it and just stick to the Vega Frontier cards. I look forward to your reply on the BIOS stuff. Thanks... :)

On 7/26/2018 at 1:26 AM, PunkNugget said:

I couldn't find the BIOS Version until I finally looked at the bottom of the screen:

Version 2.17.1246

So it looks like (according to the Asus Tech Support person), I'm using: 1246. if that's the case, am I safe to update to 1301 or even 1401? Remember I'm using Mac OS X 10.13.2.

Now about the GPUs, I did think about that and also thought about the Memory Bus limit on the Pro Duo card (512 bit). Hopefully that won't be a hinderance. If it is, I'll just sell it for what I paid for it and just stick to the Vega Frontier cards. I look forward to your reply on the BIOS stuff. Thanks... :)

This is not the BIOS version.. The latter you find in the upper left half of the BIOS screen.. 

1 hour ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

This is not the BIOS version.. The latter you find in the upper left half of the BIOS screen.. 

Alright I'll check, but do you know the amazing thing is about this? I got this info from the tech guys at Asus directly. How sad is that? That's really jacked up! In any case, the current Bios Version that I'm using is: 0802

I even told André (the Tech Support person at Asus) and he said that was not it. I knew I was right. Anyway, will it be safe for me to update my Bios to 1301 or 1401? Let me know what you can, thank you.

5 hours ago, PunkNugget said:

Alright I'll check, but do you know the amazing thing is about this? I got this info from the tech guys at Asus directly. How sad is that? That's really jacked up! In any case, the current Bios Version that I'm using is: 0802

I even told André (the Tech Support person at Asus) and he said that was not it. I knew I was right. Anyway, will it be safe for me to update my Bios to 1301 or 1401? Let me know what you can, thank you.

I see.. really ancient and totally outdated BIOS version..  and I guess the BIOS is unpatched?

Once you update the BIOS you have to set all BIOS settings from scratch.. You know that, right?

For Mojave you will need my recent EFI-Folder where you have to add TSCAdjustRest.kext adopted for your CPU. Else you will also have to add recent versions of Lilu and AppleALC.. 

Most difficult problem for you might be the correct implementation of my system SSDT, which however is not strictly mandatory... 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

8 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

I see.. really ancient and totally outdated BIOS version..  and I guess the BIOS is unpatched?

Now that I don't know much about that; weather it's patched or unpatched. Is that going to be an issue?

Once you update the BIOS you have to set all BIOS settings from scratch.. You know that, right?

Yes, I know that I'll have to reset all the BIOS back to their custom settings. I'll have to keep everything the same correct? Or are their any other changes within the BIOS that I need to be aware of?

For Mojave you will need my recent EFI-Folder where you have to add TSCAdjustRest.kext adopted for your CPU. Else you will also have to add recent versions of Lilu and AppleALC.. 

Will this new TSCAdjustRest.kext file work with i9-7980-XE as well as the i9-7960X CPU? I will also follow your instructions on downloading the Lilu and AppleALC files as well.

Most difficult problem for you might be the correct implementation of my system SSDT, which however is not strictly mandatory... 

When it comes to the correct implementation of my system SSDT, I don't know how to do that. So I hope that's going to become an issue.

Lastly, for some reason, when I shut down my system and took out my NVMe 960 PRO M.2 SSD and put it away (when I went on vacation), I came back and put it back in and now my Mobo doesn't even "see" it in the system at all. I can only use my regular (backup) SSD. Is there are any reason why this is happening?

By the way, I just sent you an email. Please check it and let me know your thoughts. Thanks... B)

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, fireedo said:

well I stuck at the end of "End RandomSeed" 

dunno what wrong, I think I have been followed step by step the instruction

any suggestion?

thank you

Reflash mainboard BIOS...

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

3 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

Upload a screenshot please! Did you adopt and add TSCAdjustReset.kext? 

I have reconfigured BIOS setting after flashing to the 1503 BIOS version

and I also put and use TSCAdjustReset.kext in the CLOVER/kext/Other on the EFI Partition folder 

SMBIOS I have edited as your installation guide instruction also has been adjust as my working High Sierra, but no luck with mojave

here my screenshot

guilty here, I'm really sorry for the trouble 

that is one option in BIOS that I forgot to disable --->b.) MSR Lock Control: Disabled

ok, I choose to not going clean install but rather using upgrade from my high Sierra

Mojave now has been installed and also updated to the latest developer beta 11

Edited by fireedo

43 minutes ago, fireedo said:

is rx vega 64 worth it ? is it working OOTB with Mojave at this stage?

With Whatevergreen >1.2.1, Lilu.kext >1.2.6 and my Vega SSDT..  

On 9/16/2018 at 7:09 AM, fireedo said:

I have reconfigured BIOS setting after flashing to the 1503 BIOS version

and I also put and use TSCAdjustReset.kext in the CLOVER/kext/Other on the EFI Partition folder 

SMBIOS I have edited as your installation guide instruction also has been adjust as my working High Sierra, but no luck with mojave

here my screenshot

guilty here, I'm really sorry for the trouble 

that is one option in BIOS that I forgot to disable --->b.) MSR Lock Control: Disabled

ok, I choose to not going clean install but rather using upgrade from my high Sierra

Mojave now has been installed and also updated to the latest developer beta 11

Well then it is clear why it did not work. 

@KGP-iMacPro, amazing work you have here

Today my Radeon RX Vega 64 has arrived, after I uninstalled Nvidia Webdriver then replaced my GTX1080Ti to RX Vega 64, and boom lol ...it works flawlessly, my dual monitor setup work out of the box, I don't do anything, just plug and play, not plug and Pray :D

Thank you

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 20.15.52.png

• Like 2

well, after couple of minutes playing my Mojave Desktop with new RX Vega 64 always freeze/stuck/halt for no reason at all, I have try to use with/without -lilubetaall but still no effect

and become worse, everytime I reboot and freeze just after a couple of second entering the desktop, I try to reboot, and keep fail, fail and fail.

then I found a thread about Vega FE , so it looks like I have try to play about table power or something, so patched/edited AMD10000Controller.kext and now seems like working fine

been playing and fooling around almost 6 hours and no crash or freeze now

maybe any other tips beside to edit AMD10000Controller.kext?

this is my working kext (at least for me), testing using LuxMark, Rise of the tomb raider and Fortnite, no lag, no freeze and no crash...hope will be "fixed" by apple with the final Mojave

AMD10000Controller.kext.zip

Hi KGP

your two exhaustive guides about X299 should be updated in some parts

I will point some parts where I have personal experiences if you do not mind! ;)

1)

Gigabyte Designare Ex bios parameters part

When you have a "right" EFI for your system you can boot with or without CSM (I boot with it for a multi monitor configuration, but I can boot also without it."Right" EFI is very basic and this motherboard with latest kext could boot and work perfectly without SSDT or DSDT addiction

It is the same also for many parameters like fast boot or other you have mentioned with the help of two Designare EX users..one of this have to study also the real meaning of some kext for his rig as I read in other forum..He seems to much confused about its use on his motherboard (TSCAdjustReset.kext)

I am not interested to discuss about this point because I have too much distance from his thoughts. I can boot with or without this kext problem with or without it are the same

2)

APPLEALC kext

with latest release of it and of lilu Kext...you can in many case avoid ssdt or dsdt or config.plist patches to have a DP audio from Nvidia GFX DP port (I am not interested in HDMI audio, DP is working well also removing SSDT/DSDT related part

also lilubetaall flag should be deprecated by now (not sure about it but I am not using in Mojave beta and all is working as should be)

3)

ngfxcompat=1 with latest WhateverGreen.kext

this boot arg could help to have a  working driver (Nvidia on unsupported OSX till Nvidia release a correct driver) without patching anything (obviously same actual limitation)

Have nice day

579510629_ScreenShot2018-09-23at3_39_27PM.png.47440eb8a911f71e416e85ad5602b7a1.png

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, fabiosun said:

Hi KGP

your two exhaustive guides about X299 should be updated in some parts

I will point some parts where I have personal experiences if you do not mind! ;)

1)

Gigabyte Designare Ex bios parameters part

When you have a "right" EFI for your system you can boot with or without CSM (I boot with it for a multi monitor configuration, but I can boot also without it."Right" EFI is very basic and this motherboard with latest kext could boot and work perfectly without SSDT or DSDT addiction

It is the same also for many parameters like fast boot or other you have mentioned with the help of two Designare EX users..one of this have to study also the real meaning of some kext for his rig as I read in other forum..He seems to much confused about its use on his motherboard (TSCAdjustReset.kext)

I am not interested to discuss about this point because I have too much distance from his thoughts. I can boot with or without this kext problem with or without it are the same

2)

APPLEALC kext

with latest release of it and of lilu Kext...you can in many case avoid ssdt or dsdt or config.plist patches to have a DP audio from Nvidia GFX DP port (I am not interested in HDMI audio, DP is working well also removing SSDT/DSDT related part

also lilubetaall flag should be deprecated by now (not sure about it but I am not using in Mojave beta and all is working as should be)

3)

ngfxcompat=1 with latest WhateverGreen.kext

this boot arg could help to have a  working driver (Nvidia on unsupported OSX till Nvidia release a correct driver) without patching anything (obviously same actual limitation)

Have nice day

579510629_ScreenShot2018-09-23at3_39_27PM.png.47440eb8a911f71e416e85ad5602b7a1.png

Yes... today I started updating the guides and I will continue with the update during the next days.. 

Thanks for providing your points above. 

Short quick comment though for clarification: SSDTs or DSDTs are not required for "BOOTING" X299 systems. This does not only state for the Designare EX but for all X299 mainboards.  From the new SSDT library on Github you can select and implement whatever you like or consider as necessary. For booting a system, only a complete and properly adopted EFI-Folder is necessary..   

Ciao,

KGP

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

hi,

I am currently using High Sierra on a Asus Rampage VI Apex with a patched 1301 BIOS.

I intend on upgrading to Mojave soon.

Before doing so, I wish to have the latest BIOS [1503] installed (to improve stability).

Would anyone be to able the patch this BIOS (attached) for me, please?

Thanks in advance.

ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-APEX-ASUS-1503.zip