iMac Pro X299 - live the future new with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Successful Guide]

KGP-iMacPro

142 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2019 at 11:20 AM, fabiosun said:

I am new with sage 10g configuration and I have had no particular problem in setting it in a basic way. I use to feed also that connector because system could benefit of it in case (as you say) of an extreme OC, but also if you populate more PCIEX slot (in my case some time with a spare GFX or thunderbolt EX card or PCIEX NVME card)

In case I would feed it (if no extra power need it is also safe to have it connected)

@fabiosun,

I tried now to also use 3rd EATX connector as you recommended, but my system gets irresponsive after system boot and login under Windows and macOS with such configuration. 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fabiosun said:

Hi @KGP-iMacPro

i am sorry for that but it is very weird this behaviour in your system and if you have some spare time you should have to investigate it

many Asus motherboard have those spare connector in different form (molex,Eatx) and asus advice to connect them

i have connected with a simple gfx pciex connector as one i use for my gfx (6 pin connector)

i have no done any test without it

In photo you can see a WS x299 Sage (no 10G) of a friend of mine he uses to full fill all pciex slot with different things :)

happy holidays to you and all people here

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 8.47.39 AM.png

Yea.. was using a simple PCIEX cable too. Will further investigate the problems I faced with it. Thanks for your answer and happy holidays to you too! 

• Like 1

IMG_2541.thumb.jpg.c71f28e77c96ed049a0e60cb942d8926.jpg

This is system of mine. sorry for dust and cable management :)

Slot 1 empty, in 2 ThunderboltEx 3 and in slot 3 my GFX

OT

Your Titan Ridge could work in different slot? have you installed in this rig?

I am asking because I have a strange a not well documented " feature" using tb in that mandatory slot for Asus card

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

IMG_2541.thumb.jpg.c71f28e77c96ed049a0e60cb942d8926.jpg

This is system of mine. sorry for dust and cable management :)

Slot 1 empty, in 2 ThunderboltEx 3 and in slot 3 my GFX

OT

Your Titan Ridge could work in different slot? have you installed in this rig?

I am asking because I have a strange a not well documented " feature" using tb in that mandatory slot for Asus card

I have TTR in slot-2 from above as recommended by ASUS for the X299 Sage. As far I know, TB adapters just work in this slot assigned to PCH lanes. Also in BIOS TB settings it is the only option available. 

In slot-1, I use now a EK water blocked VII without problems, in slot-3, I have my OSX WIFI and in slot-5, I use a water blocked NVMe PCIe adapter for my EVO 970 Pro. 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

7 minutes ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

I have TTR in slot-2 from above as recommended by ASUS for the X299 Sage. As far I know, TB adapters just work in this slot assigned to PCH lanes. Also in BIOS TB settings it is the only option available. 

In slot-1, I use now a EK water blocked VII without problems, in slot-3, I have my OSX WIFI and in slot-5, I use a water blocked NVMe PCIe adapter for my EVO 970 Pro. 

In this TTR slot condition have you a working USB 3.1 as you can see in attachment?

I can't find any documentation that with thunderbolt card inserted in slot 2 I loose 2 back USB port .

It seems they are shared with slot 2 but I can't find any documentation (I have had same behavior in my previous X99 system so I define it a feature :)

Obviously USB thunderbolt port are working well

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 12.01.14 PM.png

20 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

In this TTR slot condition have you a working USB 3.1 as you can see in attachment?

I can't find any documentation that with thunderbolt card inserted in slot 2 I loose 2 back USB port .

It seems they are shared with slot 2 but I can't find any documentation (I have had same behavior in my previous X99 system so I define it a feature :)

Obviously USB thunderbolt port are working well

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 12.01.14 PM.png

That's weird and does not happen in my case. Just checked on that. 

490689502_Screenshot2019-04-21at12_17_06.png.26dd2b5e3dd947f083c315dd6a435e52.png

SD1-T0500D is external Dell 500 MB Tunderbolt3 NVMe and Trident is USB 3.1 Type-C. All 4 back panel USB3.0 ports are working too. Just realised that I mounted the motherboard such that one of the silver contact plates for the USB3.1 Type-A connector accidentally blocks the latter, thus I cannot test it at present, but I am sure it would work too.

IMG_4031.thumb.jpg.ee64b07aa6f4efb8a6d7f92ca1309c0c.jpg

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

All 4 back panel USB3.0 are working well for me also..I have no working USB3.1 type a and C  if TB card is inserted in slot 2 I have no working motherboard USB3.1 Gen1 type a and C I(left ethernet rj connector placed)

Without TB card they are fine...Maybe Titan Ridge card has a better management..I don't know for now

thank you for your confirmation

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

All 4 back panel USB3.0 are working well for me also..I have no working USB3. if TB card is inserted in slot 2 I have no working motherboard USB3.1 Gen1 type a and C I(left ethernet rj connector placed)

Without TB card they are fine...Maybe Titan Ridge card has a better management..I don't know for now

thank you for your confirmation

Maybe some other PCIe slot I did not populate but you did is using PCIe lanes assigned to the two USB 3.1 back panel connectors? I don't think that the two USB 3.1 back panel connectors are using PCH lanes assigned to Slot-2, when using any x4 TB adapter in this latter slot. I would be also surprised if the else quite sophisticated PCIe/PCH lane management of the Sage would have conflicting lanes  assigned twice to two respective devices. 

My problem is now how to get the silver contact plate actually  blocking my USB3.1 Type-A connector in its place without removing everything incl. water blocking :construction: 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

BTW.. there is another Boost of approx. 6000 in Skylake-X Geekbench scores either related with 10.14.5 Public Betas or recent modifications within the latest Geekbench software distribution.

Screenshot.thumb.png.fd3ff24eb2b6bae7d6070e9a74bc63be.png

1044937749_Screenshot2019-04-20at11_55_25.thumb.png.494d15278dfa78a5e705cabcf6077503.png

And that's just with a turbo clock ratio of 47 and CPU core ratio set to Sync All Corse but everything else related to CPU OC just on Auto in BIOS and even SVID enabled.  Nobody should mimic such benchmarks though without extensiv custom water blocking! 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

@fabiosun,

just found the source for the problem of irresponsive Windows and macOS functionality, which was not at all related with populating the 3rd EATX onbaord connector but related with a BIOS feature I changed in parallel. 

Apparently, with Above 4G enabled, Frist VGA 4G Decode must be set to Auto, as else with Frist VGA 4G Decode set to Above 4G, Windows and macOS behave irresponsive after system boot. 

@KGP-iMacPro

I am happy you found the source of irresponsive system..and also very happy is not caused from my indication to connect 3rd EATX power connector :)

Also I found the reason of my usb 3.1 problem..it was a combination of cable problem and mounting problem of my back plate...so now I have a full functionality of also those usb connection

Very happy of this motherboard , it is more simple to configure respect my old Designare ex motherboard and I have a full working sleep / wake without doing anything of strange things..also it seems I can avoid the use of TSC kext in other 

I have a minor cosmetic problem because I am using a PCIEx card adapter for my nvme 960 pro, in it I have windows and OSX sees it with an orange icon , if I put it on a M2 connector it is grey as it should be.

With old x299 designare ex I have not this "cosmetic" problem.

if you have time also take a look at your image I reposted here

1040741183_ScreenShot2019-04-21at6_28_27PM.png.e424d7f85318675c5b7c16292e427434.png

metal on light blue is not good I think

you can't insert there any usb peripheral because back plate metal is on connector

this was part of my "mounting problem"

44 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

if you have time also take a look at your image I reposted here

1040741183_ScreenShot2019-04-21at6_28_27PM.png.e424d7f85318675c5b7c16292e427434.png

metal on light blue is not good I think

you can't insert there any usb peripheral because back plate metal is on connector

this was part of my "mounting problem"

Yea.. that's what I said, I should remove everything and properly replug the motherboard, which however is a major endeavour because of my custom water blocking :w00t: 

1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

@KGP-iMacPro

I am happy you found the source of irresponsive system..and also very happy is not caused from my indication to connect 3rd EATX power connector :)

Also I found the reason of my usb 3.1 problem..it was a combination of cable problem and mounting problem of my back plate...so now I have a full functionality of also those usb connection

Very happy of this motherboard , it is more simple to configure respect my old Designare ex motherboard and I have a full working sleep / wake without doing anything of strange things..also it seems I can avoid the use of TSC kext in other 

I have a minor cosmetic problem because I am using a PCIEx card adapter for my nvme 960 pro, in it I have windows and OSX sees it with an orange icon , if I put it on a M2 connector it is grey as it should be.

With old x299 designare ex I have not this "cosmetic" problem.

Great that you removed all USB3.1 issues :thumbsup_anim:

Interesting.. I never tried to boot without any TSC kext with this motherboard. I will see what happens in my case. 

Are you using SSDT for NVMe in PCIEx card adapter? 

1400137911_Screenshot2019-04-21at19_22_45.png.44dff67ba753ff1597cfddbab388eb0c.png

16 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

No

No SSDT at all, basic EFI, few kext used in EFI/CLOVER/Others no more only trim patch and some rename..

Well if you ever want to use any: https://github.com/KGP/X299-System-SSDTs/tree/master/ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G 

But in this case you should also add additional ACPI replacements implemented in the config.plist of my EFI-Folder distribution: https://github.com/KGP/X299-EFI-Folder-Distributions

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

New createInstaller.sh scripts for macOS Mojave 10.14.4 (18E226) and macOS Mojave 10.14.4 (18E2034) - special build

Apple recently changed the index for macOS Mojave 10.14.4 (18E226) on http://swcdn.apple.com/, although resulting Install macOS Mojave.app version remains 14.4.08.

347327691_Screenshot2019-04-23at16_12_36.thumb.png.8005338a73baa1ca42fe0be5c3ca8488.png

I therefore expect the respective macOS Mojave 10.14.4 build still to be 18E226.

Respective changes for macOS Mojave 10.14.4 (18E226) on http://swcdn.apple.com/ also required minor modifications of createInstall.sh for Mojave 10.14.4 (18E2034), which else also still reveals receptive Install macOS Mojave.app version 14.4.10. 

Corresponding Update of Section D.2) completed. New versions of createInstaller-10.14.4-23042019.sh.zip and  createInstaller-10.14.4-SB-23042019.sh have been linked in the guide in the originating post of this thread. 

Enjoy and have fun,

kgp.png.f3eb6f1707f72f1a15c8faab1a42573a.png

Edit: Update of createInstaller-10.14.4-SB-23042019.sh as I accidentally renamed and linked old file before. 
Edited by KGP-iMacPro

On 4/22/2019 at 3:19 AM, KGP-iMacPro said:

Yea.. that's what I said, I should remove everything and properly replug the motherboard, which however is a major endeavour because of my custom water blocking :w00t: 

I made exactly the same mistake. Honestly, just gently bend the overlapping metal back out - it doesn't seem to make any difference to how the port actually works.

• Like 1