nVidia GPUs and the infamous lag issue, Why is that happening?

Cyberdevs

134 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

I built NvidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext 1.2.7 (doesn't have lag fix in it) from source and can confirm no more lag with 387.10.10.10.30.106 on 10.13.5 beta 2.

How interesting. I just checked the commit and it seems Nvidia have incorporated the lag fix into their .30.106 release. I guess this is one of the benefits of open source projects!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, captain-j said:

How interesting. I just checked the commit and it seems Nvidia have incorporated the lag fix into their .30.106 release. I guess this is one of the benefits of open source projects!

I think you're reading way too much into that, there are tons of other binary changes in the new drivers.  The most obvious answer to me is that there was some path that performed well but had a bug, so NVIDIA had to disable it (and the kext hack re-enabled it).  Once the underlying issue was actually fixed, the path was re-enabled.  I'd be very surprised if the answer was simply "oh yeah let's swap in this old implementation of some internal function and call it a day".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Asgorath said:

I think you're reading way too much into that, there are tons of other binary changes in the new drivers.  The most obvious answer to me is that there was some path that performed well but had a bug, so NVIDIA had to disable it (and the kext hack re-enabled it).  Once the underlying issue was actually fixed, the path was re-enabled.  I'd be very surprised if the answer was simply "oh yeah let's swap in this old implementation of some internal function and call it a day".

This issue has been ongoing for months. I find it highly coincidental that just as soon as a third-party patch comes out to fix it that Nvidia releases a "fixed" version of their own literally a few days later.

I'm not suggesting they lifted that exact code but I do believe it has had some kind of influence on this outcome.

15 hours ago, captain-j said:

This issue has been ongoing for months. I find it highly coincidental that just as soon as a third-party patch comes out to fix it that Nvidia releases a "fixed" version of their own literally a few days later.

I'm not suggesting they lifted that exact code but I do believe it has had some kind of influence on this outcome.

It's equally (or I would say much more) likely that NVIDIA fixed this a month ago, and was doing weeks of rigorous testing given how severe the issue was, and once they were confident the issue was actually solved they released their driver.  Nothing against the authors of NvidiaGraphicsFixup, that workaround was very impressive.  I just don't see how "if you swap this function with an older implementation the stuttering goes away" is actually that useful for NVIDIA.  Who knows.

• 8 months later...

I currently have lilu, whatever green, web drivers, and cuda drivers. However, I'm experiencing large sums of lag when resizing windows and when running certain applications such as Atom, Ableton Live, Sublime Text, and a few others. Realtime rendering seems to get completely crushed, but even when certain applications are lagging, I can pull up others without the lag effecting it. I've attached a video to further illustrate the point. The animations for the play head moving across the project, animation for EQ Eight and compressor, should all be smooth as butter, but they all skip and lag quite horribly; perhaps this is an OpenGL issue? I used to run on a considerably poor AMD 1GB gpu, but all of the animations were perfect. My GPU currently is a GTX 1080.

Edited by 0xAE9
  • Confused 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/25/2018 at 6:35 PM, 0xAE9 said:

I currently have lilu, whatever green, web drivers, and cuda drivers. However, I'm experiencing large sums of lag when resizing windows and when running certain applications such as Atom, Ableton Live, Sublime Text, and a few others. Realtime rendering seems to get completely crushed, but even when certain applications are lagging, I can pull up others without the lag effecting it. I've attached a video to further illustrate the point. The animations for the play head moving across the project, animation for EQ Eight and compressor, should all be smooth as butter, but they all skip and lag quite horribly; perhaps this is an OpenGL issue? I used to run on a considerably poor AMD 1GB gpu, but all of the animations were perfect. My GPU currently is a GTX 1080.

I have *EXACTLY* the same problem with the same applications having the same GPU. To the list I'd also add iTerm.

Have you found solution for this problem?