-- How to Upgrade the Kernel -NEW VERSION/UPDATED

Prasys

160 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

As many of you heard , new kernels are coming everyday and most of us wants to get their hands on the latest one. But of course there is a problem , updating kernel isnt that easy for someone who is new to the OSX86 Community. So I wrote a tiny script that installs the new kernel. It just grabs the latest one from semthex's site , installs it and of course it takes care of backing up your working kernel and fixes the permisson. All you have to do is answer a few questions and then you could sit back and enjoy while this script takes care of everything]

UPDATE : Fixed stuff again and this time it updates to beta8 - the latest

BEFORE THAT , PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'RE USING DARWIN KERNEL VERSION 8.8.1/TRUE OSX 10.4.8 .IT WILL NOT WORK WITH OLDER OSX 10.4.8 , THAT RUNS ON 8.4.1. IT DOES NOT WORK WITH

MACOSX 10.4.1 , MACOSX 10.4.3 , MACOSX 10.4.4 , MACOSX 10.4.5 , MACOS X 10.4.6 , MACOSX 10.4.7 AND MACOS X 10.4.8 JAS SSE2/SSE3/AMD SSE2/AMD SSE3 COMBO UPDATE from Demonoid. It works with Jas' Intel Re-seed OSX 10.4.8 [4GB ISO] and AMD SSE3 OSX 10.4.8 ISO AS WELL

Features :-

1. Live-Update

Automatically grabs the latest baked version directly from Semthex's Bakery .You dont even have to use IRC , bug Semthex [poor guy] nor ask 'Where to Get the Kernel and How To Do It'. It fixes all of that. Thats right folks , it updates OTA [Over-The-Air]. So you're always up2date with the latest kernel enhancements

2. Automatic Backup

This script also backups your current working kernel. So incase of emergency , you could boot up your system with the old working kernel. It avoids the whole 'Re-Install dilemma '

3. Works On GUI - No Need Special Rebooting Techniques - No Need to Memorize all the commands

My script also avoids new-comers to boot into -s mode where users normally update their kernel using this traditionally method . All you have to do is punch the start-up command and thats it , it would work . In other words , it just works

4. Approved By Semthex and tested by a group of beta testers

To ensure the proper quality of my script , I have semthex's approval [and he is the one who encouraged me to improve the script] and it has been tested thoroughly by a group of beta testers and it is guaranteed to work

5. Safer Method

[/color]

With the new kernel , I have included a much more safer method as suggested by the folks here and over the IRC Channel. It copies the kernel instead of moving it , this means that if anything happens to your internet connection during the upgrade , your old kernel would be still there. It only updates once it has finished unzipping it

6. Fully Automated

[/color]

With the new version , you just simply double click and run. Thats it. No more messing around with Terminal. It takes that for you

How-To

1. Download the script from this site and run it ! - Simple as that

NOTES

In case if anything did went wrong , try to boot up using F8 and then type -f . See if that fixes the problem. If it does not , you could use back the old kernel , by typing mach_kernel.old in the boot prompt

KUDOS

I would like to thank :-

semthex - Kernel

Joey - Helping me out with some things

Hagar - Testing it out

locsmif - Helping me out with bash

interinv - User feedback !

Q/A

If you're having any problems , feel free to send me a PM or meet me on IRC - macspeak , #scripts. If you're having any problems with the kernel , you could contact semthex as well !

scriptv3d.command.zip

I am now working with semthex to provide a Live-Update , meaning that we dont have to get it from IRC. The script would do it automatically. This time , I might include some nags [thats right , we need to show our support to semthex]. Once its done , I will update it. It will be called 'Run-N-Shout' ....I am working with semthex right now for a live kernel update , so it would be updated everyday and it would check for the latest version as well

More to come , its just the starting

BEFORE THAT , PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'RE USING DARWIN KERNEL VERSION 8.8.1/TRUE OSX 10.4.8 .IT WILL NOT WORK WITH OLDER OSX 10.4.8 , THAT RUNS ON 8.4.1

Yeah, a live updater is a GREAT idea! Just one question: What is meant whith "True OSX 10.4.8" ? Does that mean u run apples intelcombo update and after not rebooting, you run the live updater?

continue ur great work, i appreciate it !

edit: ok, now i understand :sorcerer: You alreday need the new kernel, this is just for updating. But would it maybe also work with old kernel after apples 10.4.8 update?

2. Open up Terminal and then type sudo ./script.sh . It would automatically grab the latest kernel from semthex's site [resume-able and with Progress], creates a backup of your current 'working' kernel , Fixes Permisson and Auto-Reboot [With a Prompt]

Had to eliminate the ( . ) in front of /script.sh for it to work.

works great

thanks

kaos

Yeah, a live updater is a GREAT idea! Just one question: What is meant whith "True OSX 10.4.8" ? Does that mean u run apples intelcombo update and after not rebooting, you run the live updater?

continue ur great work, i appreciate it !

edit: ok, now i understand :thumbsup_anim: You alreday need the new kernel, this is just for updating. But would it maybe also work with old kernel after apples 10.4.8 update?

I have that very same question. (And great job, finally a simple way to grab the lastest kernel :blink:)

The script is a good idea, but more then flawed. Not only does it fail to check for error return codes of curl or unzip, so failures go unnoticed, it also moves away current kernel instead of copying it to backup, which will cause unbootable system if something goes wrong.

The script also contains lots of useless sleeps...

Error checking can be done via sth. like 'test $? -ne 0 && echo "Failed"'

A bit of feedback about the script... the line:

mv mach_kernel mach_kernel.old

will make computer unbootable until a new kernel is put in place, which will fail if we don't have a working internet connection, or the website is down. Wouldn't it be better to change that to:

cp mach_kernel mach_kernel.old

Later on, when you do:

cd /kernel

mv mach_kernel /mach_kernel

will replace the old kernel anyway - no need to remove it first. I would also put chmod and chown commands before mv command.

:2cents:Platypus works great

everyone can use it, even me.

when it will come out for linux? just wishing .

not so on topic but i like to thank coolbits for the app location.

greetings.

ciao.

saludos.

I have to say - you guys are incredible. Thanks to you, I have my Dell Inspiron 9400 fully working except for sound (sigmatel audio). How else could I get a 17" Mac Laptop for $700??? [Dell has them on their refurbished site very cheaply now].

I think that if the handful of people developing drivers can stick with the cheapest/most popular hardware, we could have a number of fully working desktops and laptops on our hands. given the circumstances, I don't think it's possible to get osx86 working on all kinds of different systems - instead, it's better to focus on just a few, and if people are really interested, they'll just switch to those systems. Dell seems to be leading the race, at least for cheap notebooks.

So if you are getting an Inspiron 9400/e1705, I recommend gma950/dell 1390 truemobile/standard +xga/.

That way you can have big ol' mac laptop for less than 1/3 the price! Yay!