-- How to Upgrade the Kernel -NEW VERSION/UPDATED

Prasys

160 posts in this topic

TorqueX86, can you boot and run long enough to swap kernels and do you understand what to do?

Joe, you are wrapped around the axle.

He had the kernel problem earlier, caused by the installer not finding a file to download and then screwing his system. He fixed it by copying the old kernel from the DVD to his OSX partition. That got him running. Then he installed beta7 with the installer.

That left him with beta7 as primary and OLD kernel as backup.

beta7 is crashing on him - it runs but crashes - a problem I'm familiar with, read my sig. But the system runs for a while.

He should be downloading beta8 as we type and installing it. I PM'd the link to him and basic instructions. He is not incapacitated and in need of rescue.

Touch wood, everything seems to be stable and steady.

I had the new kernel up and running with a lot of "crash-friendly" apps open and it seems until now that nothing in the world can break it...

I have yet to test hybernation and memory type detection is still not working, but at least it's running very steady and smoothly.

Maybe it's my impression but I noticed some performance optimisation as well.

Nice stuff, I can't wait to have the memory type detection fixed!

*EDIT*

Oh poop! As soon as I posted this message the system crashed... LOL

Thanks again To Rammjet for giving me the K19... Cheers

My (very humble) opinion: if you have a system which is working fine, stay away from experimental scripts and kernels, unless you are willing to reinstall.

That is what happened to me yesterday. Fortunately I was prepared for a reinstall, no loss of data.

I was running JaS 10.4.8, and I am back there. It supports all my hardware just beautifully (I bought the most compatible hardware)

Went back to the K19 kernel, yep, quite more stable. But still, I crashed once again.

I start to suspect that it is due to the fact that my graphics card fan is always running to the minimum.

I have an ATI X1800 GTO that otherwise works perfectly, and is indeed very powerful. Works thanks to the Natit installer. But does have a flaw, and it's the fan not changing speed depending on the GPU load... Will that be fixed? Actually, can that be fixed?

Went back to the K19 kernel, yep, quite more stable. But still, I crashed once again.

I start to suspect that it is due to the fact that my graphics card fan is always running to the minimum.

I have an ATI X1800 GTO that otherwise works perfectly, and is indeed very powerful. Works thanks to the Natit installer. But does have a flaw, and it's the fan not changing speed depending on the GPU load... Will that be fixed? Actually, can that be fixed?

Did it work fine under the old 8.4.1 kernel?

There was a whole discussion of whether the CPU ran hotter under the new kernel or not and how to measure temp and blah, blah.

The problem is that OSX cannot control any fans or temps or anything. It can't sense the sensors on a PC, only on a real Mac. So all fan speeds have to be managed by your BIOS.

Now, I THINK my BIOS does a fine job managing temps. But I don't know because I either have to go to BIOS to read them or boot into Windows to read them and then the new kernel is not part of the equation.

Yet, I have been suffering crashes and freezes with the new kernel. But not the old kernel.

Hmmm.

So looks like K19 is stable eh...

Well TorqueX86 said more stable. He has only had one crash on k19 in the past couple of hours. I previously had several crashes on k19 and Semthex had me move back to k18 where I crashed just as much and so with beta7 too. But don't use me as a barometer.

no problems here so far..

<333 prasys semthex joey spaz jas neopheus boris omni the whole team

Did it work fine under the old 8.4.1 kernel?

There was a whole discussion of whether the CPU ran hotter under the new kernel or not and how to measure temp and blah, blah.

The problem is that OSX cannot control any fans or temps or anything. It can't sense the sensors on a PC, only on a real Mac. So all fan speeds have to be managed by your BIOS.

Now, I THINK my BIOS does a fine job managing temps. But I don't know because I either have to go to BIOS to read them or boot into Windows to read them and then the new kernel is not part of the equation.

Yet, I have been suffering crashes and freezes with the new kernel. But not the old kernel.

Hmmm.

You misunderstood... The CPU is cool and nice. It's the GPU, the graphics card that's red hot after hours of 3D use. On windows its drivers make it spin (way) faster when you are using 3D, then go back to ultra quiet mode whilst checking your mail and stuff...

We really NEED this function on OSX!

which version does new auto-updater (Version 0.32-:) install ?

this one downloads "latest.zip" but there's no version number.

(my2cts) Maybe it would be useful to include a version number file in the latest.zip archive. I belive using latest.zip as name to download the kernel makes it easier to update, as it's not required to download a new updater everytime to make sure you get the latest kernel... It would be nice to know which one we are running so we can send more accurate reports.

Anywy, I installed it and after shutdown / boot, my rig froze at blue screen and nvidia kext did not seem to load correctly. I did a hard reboot and so far it seems to work fine. I ran Xbench, and disk test results got a bit faster. I now score 118pts total (had 114 or 115 before) so it seems to be a bit faster.

mach_kernel is now only 4Mb whereas it was 8Mb or more before (i think) but all the backup kernels are also 4Mb, so maybe it did not back up the correct files (?)

You misunderstood... The CPU is cool and nice. It's the GPU,

No, I understood. I was just relating parallel information about others who thought the kernel was affecting CPU temperature (managed through fans). Then I was giving my opinion that the kernel should not affect any fans because OSX cannot control any fans - CPU, GPU, case, motherboard - because OSX cannot read and react to the sensors on a PC (only on a real Mac). The BIOS on a PC is what has to measure the temps and control your fans. If your BIOS cannot do this well (especially in a laptop), then you might have severe problems.

But, having said that, and recognizing that I have had many crashes and freezes with the new kernels, maybe (I doubt it), maybe, the new kernel IS increasing temps and this causes the crashes and freezes (still doubt it). But without a good temperature monitor app/utility/kext/plugin for Hackintosh, I cannot tell without leaving OSX and then I won't be using the new kernel. (And yes, I know about Temperature Monitor but the app doesn't give me any temps and when I use the kexts that it installs, then I crash).

And for those who think I am slamming, Semthex, I am not. I have great respect for him and what he has accomplished. Just a little frustrated that I cannot currently join in the fun of using the new kernel. But I am happy to wait.

which version does new auto-updater (Version 0.32-:) install ?

this one downloads "latest.zip" but there's no version number.

From the first posting in this thread:

UPDATE : Fixed stuff again and this time it updates to beta8 - the latest

The only way to tell the version of your old kernel is to go to Terminal and type: uname -a

and record the date of compile. Then install the new kernel and do the same thing.

In some RARE cases you migth encounter wired fan controls. This is caused by a thermal kext in AppleACPI.kext. Just remove it and your BIOS controll fans should work fine again.

The Thermal kext may affect some special fan boards or in rare cases notbook fans. Anyone with these problems, try this out. If this does not help you, something is REALLY wrong with your box and this has nothing to do with kernel or OSx.

GPU fan is NOT affected by this, if it runs wired, check your general system.

This issue a is a gerneral OSx design issue. Remmber you run non-Apple hardware.

In some RARE cases you migth encounter wired fan controls. This is caused by a thermal kext in AppleACPI.kext. Just remove it and your BIOS controll fans should work fine again.

The Thermal kext may affect some special fan boards or in rare cases notbook fans. Anyone with these problems, try this out. If this does not help you, something is REALLY wrong with your box and this has nothing to do with kernel or OSx.

GPU fan is NOT affected by this, if it runs wired, check your general system.

This issue a is a gerneral OSx design issue. Remmber you run non-Apple hardware.

Thanks for the tip about the AppleACPI :D

But system temperature and CPU temperatures are perfectly fine.

ATI fan is driver controlled. On PC, drivers set it to high when running 3D apps and to Low when using 2D only, I was wondering if this can be done at all on an Hackintosh. However, I bought an extra system fan for the PCIe brackets, this should help keeping the monster a bit cooler.

When I check the CPU temps of my 3.2Ghz Pentium D in BIOS, they are ALWAYS super hot. (78C and up).

Don't really know what to do about it, I have a 3rd party cooler. Some people say that it's probably just wrong. I have no idea. I don't have any symptoms, though.

My Pentium D runs red hot too. It was always running in the high 60s, early 70s under no load! I changed the fan for a third part fan which dropped the temp to around 50, but it seems to have crept up again over the months.

When I can be bothered I may open it all up and Arctic Silver it.

_loosh_

Rammjet, may i suggest using a front panel fan control, like the Zalman one im using right now, i control there case fans, cpu fan, gpu fan and my internal lights.

never have aq crash with any kernel, if you need more info PM me

BTW its a good solution for ppl with gpu fan problems.

My Pentium D runs red hot too. It was always running in the high 60s, early 70s under no load! I changed the fan for a third part fan which dropped the temp to around 50, but it seems to have crept up again over the months.

When I can be bothered I may open it all up and Arctic Silver it.

_loosh_

Is it possible to check the temps without rebooting (and without buying hardware)?

Is it possible to check the temps without rebooting (and without buying hardware)?

Not accurately, the best way to monitor temps is with temperature probes.

I use four, one on motherboard, one on cpu, one on video card and I have one placed at the front of my case to see the incoming air temps :wallbash:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3829/tmp...l?tl=g4c133s492