-- How to Upgrade the Kernel -NEW VERSION/UPDATED

Prasys

160 posts in this topic

Hi, guys.

I've got my computer screwed and after solving everything I have found the reason for this problem.

First of all, I will tell you how I fixed it: luckily I've got Windows XP on another partition, and from there, I gave a look to the hard disk of my MAC partition. There was no kernel at all, and in the folder /Kernel, there was a file called latest.zip, but this file was empty.

So I replaced an old copy of the mach_kernel I had backed up before and this way I could reboot my MAC OSX.

Then I opened the script that we have used to mess up everything and I noticed that it was downloading the new kernel from the address http://semthex.freeflux.net/files/dist/latest.zip. If you try to download it manually from your browser, you get a page in which there is the message "Forbidden". So you cannot download anything from that address. That's why we messed up our computers. Since there was no kernel in our hard disk, that script deleted our old kernel without replacing it with the right one.

I suggest everybody to wait for the address to be corrected or for further information from the creator of this script, before risking again to destroy everything! :)

BYE!

Ok Rammjet just saved my :censored2: .

Thanks a lot, man!

In the mean time, given the above from semthex, the mods need to delete that script until:

1. The link is fixed

and

2. The script knows how to determine whether the link is working in the first place!

Whatever was added to it to make it "safe" is definitely NOT working as intended.

I just got back , guys since semthex's site is down. I am re-routing it back. I might have to re-upload it back to my site . Thats the whole issue

BTW , a simple trick is just to boot with mach_kernel.old , you dont have to worry about that , if you get any errors that Website is not found blah blah blah , just press Control+C

BTW , a simple trick is just to boot with mach_kernel.old , you dont have to worry about that

This is what TomA2 was left with - no mach_kernel.old:

kernel

mach -> /mach.sym

mach (Mac OS 9) -> mach_kernel

mach (Mac OS 9) 1 -> /mach.sym

mach.sym

mach.sym (Mac OS 9)

mach.sym (Mac OS 9) 1

mach_kernel (Mac OS 9)

mach_kernel (Mac OS 9) 1

Just read all of the posts above about trying to save his installation.

if you get any errors that Website is not found blah blah blah , just press Control+C

But it is incumbent upon the programmer to make use of the error codes from curl and other processes to determine if the script should just stop what it is doing. Curl will tell you if there is a problem (like file unavailable) if you ask it. Atmosfear warned you in a previous post in this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=234298

Fixed backup issues

I will be working on error messages

Updated to beta7 kernel - Now this is the very latest kernel out there !

I will working with semthex again on the auto-updater thingy. Now it should download. I have fixed it !

ok my system is totally screwed. no kernel message. i boot with the dvd and try to cp the mach_kernel I have in the /backup folder.

cp -f mach_kernel /

No luck. Read-Only File system.

Please help, what am I supposed to do now to fix it? :)

cd "/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)"

(verify that there is a mach_kernel in backup folder:)
ls backup/mach*

cp -f backup/mach_kernel mach_kernel
chown root:wheel mach_kernel
chmod 644 mach_kernel

cd "/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)"

(verify that there is a mach_kernel in backup folder:)
ls backup/mach*

cp -f backup/mach_kernel mach_kernel
chown root:wheel mach_kernel
chmod 644 mach_kernel

Unfortunately that still didnt work. So I did it the non-civilised way :)

I copied mach_kernel from the installation dvd, then I rebooted successfully. I then downloaded the latest script for bets7 kernel and yeah, it did work.

Problems:

- RAM is still not recognised. Still 0 MHz SDRAM

- Hybernate still doesnt work

- In my root folder I have a LOAD of kernel files: mach_kernel.1 mach_kernel.2 mach_kernel.3 mach_kernel.4 mach_kernel.old

Which ones can I delete?

Apart of that, the system is fast as it has never been before and all peripherals are recognised correctly. \o/

For that get SMBIOS from Paulicat , it fixes the 0Mhz thingy

Which ones can I delete? - Yo could delete mach_kernel.1 , mach_kernel.2 , mach_kernel.3 , mach_kernel.4

just keep mach_kernel.old if any thing goes wrong

The reason why i created 4 mach_kernels is just to play safe. Now I will be including prompts and stuff like that to make it extra safe !

For that get SMBIOS from Paulicat , it fixes the 0Mhz thingy

I already use it, and although the processors are perfectly recognised, no luck with the RAM.

Has he made a new kext? The link on his site is dead.. Has he got a new version? Would be wonderful!

where I can find the Jas' Intel Re-seed OSX 10.4.8?

Demonoid

Has he made a new kext? The link on his site is dead.. Has he got a new version? Would be wonderful!

I believe Paulicat was using freeflux.net to store his patches. Apple sent that company a cease and desist order and they pulled all zipped and rar'd files from their servers. Someone had posted patches for Leopard on the server and Apple got pissed. This affected Semthex too because he stored his beta kernels on that server too. He has had to move them to another free server.

Any chance I can edit the script to revert to K19?

Beta-7 is a sort of time-bomb. Works beautifully then all of a sudden locks up with the usual Mac "guru meditation"...

K19 was more stable, so I'd like to revert to it in wait that the new betas are more stable...

Please advise.

Any chance I can edit the script to revert to K19?

Beta-7 is a sort of time-bomb. Works beautifully then all of a sudden locks up with the usual Mac "guru meditation"...

K19 was more stable, so I'd like to revert to it in wait that the new betas are more stable...

There isn't a whole database of kernels out there. Only one at a time. Maybe Semthex has kept a copy of all of them.

If you want to reinstall the one that you were running previously, then go to Terminal:

sudo cp -f /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.beta7
sudo cp -f /mach_kernel.old /mach_kernel
sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel*

Then reboot.

BTW, beta8 is out, but not sure if it has been loaded up for the installer to install yet.

Basically I fecked up my system by using v2 script whilst no kernel was uploaded, so that the OS couldnt load anymore.

I then copied the kernel from the DVD installation disc, which made my system boot again to use the new V3 script.

So, .old kernel is the one that came with the DVD, which is pretty old and unreliable.

You were clear enough but thats how it goes. Do you have any means of putting a different kernel in root, like macdrive or another osx setup?

He already fixed it and is telling what happened. (Booted install DVD and used Terminal to copy kernel from DVD to hard drive).

But his current kernel is beta7 which he doesn't like.

And his kernel.old is the one from the DVD which is....old.

So, now he either wants k19 or the new beta8.