High Sierra: Error Loading Kernel Cache 0xe - No fix! Help!

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

Extremely annoyed. My build was stable as can be until I made the mistake of running Onyx.app and clearing the kernel cache.

Nice. Now my system will not boot no matter what I do.

I get the Error Loading Kernel Cache 0xe message.

I have a bootable recovery partition. SO far this is what I tried with NO LUCK:

1. Updating apfs.efi

2. Replacing OsxAptioix2Drv64 with the first version

3. Removing any/all Aptio drivers

4. Using terminal to rebuild caches

5. Boot -s, -f, -x

NOTHING is working. I do not want to re-install! I have too much time into configuring this installation.

Can someone please help! Thanks for your time.

See attached:  post-1048561-0-88745700-1508647380_thumb.png

Hi!

Thanks, the links was useful. But I am not getting any solution. The tutorial there does not account for the fact that the user needs SUDO permissions. 

I ran with sudo and here is what I get...(not what the OP of that tutorial gets)

This is so frustrating!!!

Last login: Sun Oct 22 11:11:43 on ttys001
iMac:~ b$ sudo touch /Volumes/MAC\ SSD/System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /Volumes/MAC\ SSD 
Password:
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fe734885d50 [0x1034dd5b0]> { URL = "NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext/ -- file:///Volumes/MAC%20SSD/System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.lvs1974.NvidiaGraphicsFixup" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fe7335186f0 [0x1034dd5b0]> { URL = "Lilu.kext/ -- file:///Volumes/MAC%20SSD/System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.Lilu" }
KernelCache ID: C79B2CECB584A805F14556B0A116AE60
symlink("../../../PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel", "/Volumes/MAC SSD/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 2 (No such file or directory)
iMac:~ b$ 

Help Please!

Thank you so much

P.S. I even re-ran without sudo code and I followed the steps and still had no luck.

Hi!

Thanks, the links was useful. But I am not getting any solution. The tutorial there does not account for the fact that the user needs SUDO permissions. 

I ran with sudo and here is what I get...(not what the OP of that tutorial gets)

This is so frustrating!!!Help Please!

Thank you so much

P.S. I even re-ran without sudo code and I followed the steps and still had no luck.

You can try with "Sudo -s" which will enter the Shell and then you can try to run the commands from the link I posted earlier.

Do you have access to another bootable disk?

As I understand the problem is in the EFI partition and specifically in drivers64UEFI right? If thats the case I would boot with the USB installer mount EFI and backup it to the desktop, delete the EFI folder completely from the partition and install Clover again with the preferred settings, then transfer config.plist and kexts needed from the backup folder in the desktop.

Hi all,

I appreciate the replies. I am still not coming to a solution. I have access to a bootable disk. That is what I am running these commands from. The installation is High Sierra on a separate HD, but it is formatted HFS+ not APFS like MAC SSD I am trying to repair.

Thanks for the tip with sudo -s. Still, I received the same terminal code. Its as if MacOS is not repairing my kernel cache or rebuilding it.

This is definitely an issue with the OS and not clover! The EFI drivers are fine. I've used them for a long time. The reason this is happening is not random. I was doing maintenance and stupidly cleared the Kernel Cache with Onyx.app. Now I can't boot.

So frustrating! Any other ideas?

Its not looking good form my research. Sad to believe I ruined an entire OS from a stupid maintenance app. If this is because of APFS, I am easily done with the file system and will gladly go back to HFS. Unreal

I had the same problem, nothing you can do to fix it. I had to install over the partition, everything will still be there, all the apps and it will boot again. It will take 33 minutes instead of 15 minutes, but it will work, you won't lose anything except reload ntfs-3g and brew update if you use it. Reinstall IOUSBHostFamily.kext if you patched it.

Cheers,

Louis

Ltooz_audis, still didn't work after installing over the partition.

Gigamax, I replaced the kernel with a working one, no luck. I also noticed com.apple.kext.caches in library folder had nothing in it. Indicated in the terminal code above. So I of course copied my working installations cache data to it. still no luck.

Thus, I did a clean install. Pretty pissed off about this. I'll be deleting the onyx app just to prevent further accidental corruption. Apple needs to fix this. What a vulnerability.

Thanks everyone for the help. Wish it turned out with a solution.

Cheers

Hello frustrated, what the below quoted code says is that #1, created a valid cache (that's good) #2 when it tried to update the symlink to point to it that process failed.

to resolve that error, from ether single user mode ( -s boot mode) or the recovery partition run this list of commands.

(CAUTION: both of these modes by default will give you SUDO access to the system be very carful what you type.)

Hi!

This is so frustrating!!!

KernelCache ID: C79B2CECB584A805F14556B0A116AE60
symlink("../../../PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel", "/Volumes/MAC SSD/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 2 (No such file or directory)
iMac:~ b$ 

Help Please!

Thank you so much

<code>

fsck

mount -uw /

rm -rf "/Volumes/MAC SSD/System/Library/Prelinkedkernel/prelinkedkernel"

touch "/Volumes/MAC SSD/System/Library/Extensions" && kextcache -system-caches "/Volumes/MAC SSD/"

kextcache -u "/Volumes/MAC SSD/"

</code>

this list of commands is slightly different from the ones in the aforementioned guide, but they do basically the same thing.

the differences are that I took your Volume name to customize them, and that I forced the rebuild of your system cache after deleting the prelinkedcache. this has the effect of having the kext cache manager look for where these files are missing from and rebuilding them in my experience.

HBP

• Like 1

HBP,

Unfortunately, by the time you replied, i had already wiped my drive and reinstalled fresh. Not pleased at all with this outcome.

However, I do see your post above and i will use your commands and instructions if i ever run into the problem again. This thread will be valuable to others in the future, as no one has provided a solution like you have.

Thank you,

• 9 months later...

Thanks. Worked with my Sierra install.

You can use another  working system you can boot into.

Get root permitions in terminal

sudo -i

Remove prelinked kernel

rm -rf "/Volumes/MAC SSD/System/Library/Prelinkedkernels/prelinkedkernel"

Rebuild cache

touch "/Volumes/MAC SSD/System/Library/Extensions" && kextcache -u "/Volumes/MAC SSD/"

After succesful boot

sudo kextcache -i /