"still waiting for root device" when booting off of DVD

TheCoolGuy

5 posts in this topic

So i'm trying to install OSX 10.4 Tiger (patched for intel cpus) on a 9 year old laptop, so far i've burnt a DVD and tried to boot from it, when not starting with -v it loads and then a prohibited sign shows up, and when starting with -v it keeps saying "still waiting for root device", i've tried multipile fixes and none of them work, and im sure there isnt a problem with the computer as it also fails to boot on my core 2 duo machine, so is it possible one of you guys knows how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Mind sharing a little more information about your system? Brand and model or just the hardware. 

The install media is probably a distro, which is it? Also the version matters, since a lot has changed in 10.4.8. 

It used to be a common problem with SATA devices (Or was it IDE?) back then, but we need more information, thank you. 

Hi,

Mind sharing a little more information about your system? Brand and model or just the hardware. 

The install media is probably a distro, which is it? Also the version matters, since a lot has changed in 10.4.8. 

It used to be a common problem with SATA devices (Or was it IDE?) back then, but we need more information, thank you. 

Hi! I'm not really sure what model the laptop is, i know its an Asus laptop from 2008 but thats about it, specs are: Celeron D 220, GeForce 9300M GS (256 MB VRAM), 2gb's RAM and a IDE/PATA Hard Disk and DVD Drive, i dont really know what you mean by distro, i just grabbed a download off the net, all i can really say is that when i boot into the dvd, it says on the top "Drwin/x86 boot v5.0.128", im not really sure what version it is because the download just states its 10.4 Tiger for x86, i hope this information will suffice!

I believe still waiting for root device occurs when the OS cannot detect either your install media drive or your hard drive, something along those lines. I would recommend downloading and installing the latest IDE kext for 10.4, also if you play around with the settings in IDE it might work (if I recall correctly OS X is quite finicky with how you setup your drives.)

I should also add that a distro is short for "distribution" and is a copy of retail Mac OS X that has been patched or modified in such a way that most features work out of the box on PCs. I think if you were to use Tiger, JaS is the most common distro.