increase integrated graphics vram help

yungyulli

9 posts in this topic

hello I am using a laptop and using the ig-platform-id 0x0a260006. I have a intel hd4600 graphics on my intel 17-4710hq cpu and currently I only have 1536mb of ram but the max my graphics can support is 2GB so I need a point in the right direction of how to go about changing this so that I can utilize all 2GB of possible intel integrated graphics. I'm trying to learn some stuff!!!

is there a patch I need to create?

is there some code I need to edit?

anything helps as I am new to hackintosh. I just installed mines like a week ago.

thanks anyone for the help.

Since SandyBridge, OS X/macOS allocates iGPU VRAM according to the amount of RAM installed on the computer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204349

For instance, with HD3000, VRAM is allocated as follows:

• 2GB RAM -> 256MB VRAM
  • 4GB RAM -> 384MB VRAM
  • 8GB RAM -> 512MB VRAM

This can be overidden through a little patch of the SNB framebuufer kext: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/320001-increase-vram-hd-3000/

I've never tried it myself but I understand the same can be done for Ivy Bridge HD4000 with the Capri framebuffer kext: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291603-help-hd-4000-increase-vram-size/ (If I remember well, HD4000 got up to 1024MB up to Yosemite and up to 1536MB since El Capitan).

One could expect the same principle to be applicable to the Azul framebuffer for Haswell HD4600 but I've never seen/tried it.

Afaik, you system will run perfectly Ok with the default 1536MB, you should not need to increase it. It's a binary patch of the kext, so you may need to repatch after each update, depending on the implementation method you use. DSDT patch would only be a cosmetic thing.

hmm thank you. I will read those links you posted and I just want more vram for video editing really the only reason why 

Hello .. I want to follow the above post but couldn't find it in  the graphics section .. can any one send me any link ..

How can we do the same process for skylake hd520 ? can we change the vram value as well as it is for haswell ??

Waiting any reply .. Thanks 

also could you let me in on some info really quick? thank you, it would help.

okay so I downloaded a hex editor app called hex fiend and I opened the appleintelazulframebuffer.kext  and I found the stuff you where talking about at offset 1381216 but the next thing you said about finding the allocation numbers :40 60 80 .

​I did not see anything of that nature. do I have to look somewhere else to find this? I only see all of these numbers and letters like how your picture showed. and to the right of these rows and columns of numbers and letters in a display box with a bunch of random words and addresses.

​by the way I have never used a hex editor before so this my be why I'm a little confused haha. or if its to much to explain to a noob if you could link something that could help me better understand that would be greatly appreciated. thanks again

There are 16 different Azul layouts and you'll easily find the list through a Google search. I listed some of them in my post to show how and where each of them appeared to include the VRAM allocation byte.

ohh okay sorry there is where I got confused haha I thought I was suppose to see all of those different layouts. I patched it and it worked! thank you!