[HELP] HD 4000 Increase VRAM size

antoniodapc

15 posts in this topic

Tnk

Yes it appears that you can by hacking the AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext.

The link has a little perl script that will make the modification on all the ig-platform-ids, just scroll down to where it says "A little bonus discovery:".

Tnks for tour answer .

i tried , but it doesn't work.

Have you any solution ?

Strange, I thought I included the link. Maybe there is a cross-post issue I am unaware of. If this the case web search for

Unified AppleIntelFramebufferCapri for Ivy ProBooks 

If this does not work you could also try injecting 

VRAM,totalsize

or 

VRAM,totalMB

into your DSDT _DSM section for GFX0 or IGPU.

My Bootloader is Clover

i tried this , but it doesn't work

It seems that with a simple patch we can change the allocated VRAM:

53616d1366190331-unified-appleintelframe

sudo cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext ~/Desktop/
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x00.{1}\x10\x07\x00\x00\x10\x07|\x00\x??\x10\x07\x00\x00\x10\x07|g' ~/Desktop/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri

Change the red ?? with the red number bellow to set the desired amount of VRAM:
10 = 256MB of RAM
18 = 384MB of RAM
20 = 512MB of RAM
30 = 768MB of RAM
40 = 1024MB of RAM
80 = 2048MB of RAM

• Like 1

Clover has a VRAM option in the Graphics section.

<key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>VRAM</key>
        <integer>512</integer>
        <key>DualLink</key>
        <string>1</string>

</dict>

You could give that a try. As for the perl script patch, what version of Mac OS are you on? You might need to verify that the hex string you are trying to modify is actually in you AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext.

I use Mountain Lion 1.8.4

<key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>VRAM</key>
        <integer>512</integer>
        <key>DualLink</key>
        <string>1</string>

</dict>

This confing in to clover it doesn't work.

if I could figure out code platform-id(01660003) to be inserted into the binary AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext. could work  the script

• 3 weeks later...

My Bootloader is Clover

i tried this , but it doesn't work

It seems that with a simple patch we can change the allocated VRAM:

53616d1366190331-unified-appleintelframe

sudo cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext ~/Desktop/
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x00.{1}\x10\x07\x00\x00\x10\x07|\x00\x??\x10\x07\x00\x00\x10\x07|g' ~/Desktop/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelFramebufferCapri

Change the red ?? with the red number bellow to set the desired amount of VRAM:

10 = 256MB of RAM

18 = 384MB of RAM

20 = 512MB of RAM

30 = 768MB of RAM

40 = 1024MB of RAM

80 = 2048MB of RAM

Thanks! This worked great for me.

post-270804-0-96084600-1380046175_thumb.png

I figured that with 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, I might as well go the whole way.

hello

u see any advantage in have 2 gb ?

hd 4000 is in cpu.. is poor graphics card..

with so many graphics ram.. cpu is in stress .. no ?

is because of that many builders use 2 cards.. one in cpu to common graphics and discrete graphics for heavy work..

good hack

:thumbsup_anim: hello

u see any advantage in have 2 gb ?

hd 4000 is in cpu.. is poor graphics card..

with so many graphics ram.. cpu is in stress .. no ?

is because of that many builders use 2 cards.. one in cpu to common graphics and discrete graphics for heavy work..

good hack

Hi Artur

So far, I have not really noticed much change at all.  I will continue to test/monitor performance and report back.  My laptop has dual graphics - the Intel HD4000 and the Radeon 7850M.  However, HP, the maker of my laptop, does not allow GPU switching in the BIOS, only in Windows software.  So far, OS X does not have any app to switch between the two GPUs.  That's why I wanted to add more VRAM to the HD4000.  It's the only GPU that works with OS X.  With 2 GB VRAM, Activity Monitor shows that I still have 10 GB free memory of my total 16 GB.  I am seeing no additional CPU activity and no increase in either CPU or GPU temperatures. Who knows, maybe this is all cosmetic and it doesn't really do anything.  I'll have to watch some HD 1080p videos and see how it performs playing those.

Thanks for your comments.

UPDATE:  I put the vanilla framebuffer kext back in S/L/E and ran some videos, 480p and 1080p, and went into some photo directories.  The 480p videos ran comfortably with the CPU at 1.19 GHz at about 52 C.  The 1080p videos ran with the CPU at 2.67 GHz at about 61 C and there were a few times where the video was a bit garbled.  The photo directory took a fairly long time for all the thumbnails to fill in.  With the modded framebuffer kext at 2048 mb VRAM, the 480p videos ran at about 1.29 GHz at 54 C, the 1080p videos ran with the CPU at 2.67 GHZ at 64 C, and the thumbnails filled in in the photo directory quite quickly compared to the vanilla framebuffer kext.  Also, the video at 1080p was flawless (and x-rated  :thumbsup_anim: ).  In summary, there was a bit more heat and only a very small extra amount of CPU usage with 2048 mb of VRAM compared to the vanilla VRAM of 384 mb.

• Like 1