Skylake-X Testing (i7-7800X i7-7820X i9-7900X)

stinga11

147 posts in this topic

Yes the frontier edition. I already reinstalled windows on the drive (It also only booted correctly from my nvme). My efi was also a mess though. I think you have the same patches. I'll wait until high sierra is released or if somehow the vega drivers could be loaded in sierra, but I don't think that's gonna work.

Hi Menno,

The vega card went in without a hitch - oob, and is running on 10.13 beta latest, but you're right. The The X299 and i9 is fine, but the vega is slowish. About 95 on cinebench 15 - half as fast as my R9 390x.

Cinebench on windows is better, but still only as fast as the 390x and a bit slower than my old Nano.

The biggest issue is the CPU running at max and averaging 150 watts on 4.5GHz (60 deg under water).

I've run out of time for now and need to design :P

• Like 1

I'm stuck at this screen. If anybody can offer a little bit of guidance, please. I'm thinking of putting a guide together for X299 users.

Here's a quick outline of my system:

• i7-7800X Water Cooled
  • ASUS X299 Prime-A MB
  • NVidia GTX 1070 and/or Radeon R9-280X (tried with each one and got stuck in the same place)
  • 32 GB DDR4 G.Skills Ripjaws 3200MHZ
  • 850W Power Supply

I tried each and every one of the tips given in this thread to no avail.

Disable any serial ports.

• Like 1

Hi Menno,

The vega card went in without a hitch - oob, and is running on 10.13 beta latest, but you're right. The The X299 and i9 is fine, but the vega is slowish. About 95 on cinebench 15 - half as fast as my R9 390x.

Cinebench on windows is better, but still only as fast as the 390x and a bit slower than my old Nano.

The biggest issue is the CPU running at max and averaging 150 watts on 4.5GHz (60 deg under water).

I've run out of time for now and need to design :P

Do you have multicore enhancement enabled in the bios? Then it auto overclocks to 4.5GHz. Mine is running on stock 4.0GHz. I need to much voltage for 4.5GHz. This thing is almost cooking here at 1.15v - 1.2v (95c). It's a standard AIO (Kraken X62).  Also you don't need an FakeCPU ID for high Sierra, but it does not make much difference. What's your Geekbench score in 10.13? It's seems that the drivers for Vega in 10.13 are very immature and my CPU scores in Geekbench are also lower. 

Do you have multicore enhancement enabled in the bios? Then it auto overclocks to 4.5GHz. Mine is running on stock 4.0GHz. I need to much voltage for 4.5GHz. This thing is almost cooking here at 1.15v - 1.2v (95c). It's a standard AIO (Kraken X62).  Also you don't need an FakeCPU ID for high Sierra, but it does not make much difference. What's your Geekbench score in 10.13? It's seems that the drivers for Vega in 10.13 are very immature and my CPU scores in Geekbench are also lower. 

post-1564334-0-04061000-1502092922_thumb.png

Geekbench on the GPU crashes, as do pretty well all the GPU benchmarks at the moment. Cinebench came up with 80 on the GPU lol. My R9 390x was 200, as was the R9 Nano so it's a backward step there at the moment.

I've left the bios stuff completely stock, so yes it is enabled.

I'm just reading up on it on overclock net to figure out how to keep the power down for now, until the speedstep gets sorted.

Probably I can run 4.5, just not on auto volts. I've got a 420 rad right now and have another 360 on order :P

I think I'll set volts at 1.1 and see how many multipliers I can get out of it.

There's some sort of new-fangled turbo mode? I think that can be cut down a bit or disabled...

All USB ports seem to be working according to about this mac.

I did use voodooTSCSync modified with 19 (CPU threads minus 1). I don't know if it's necessary though, I just did it :P

Old habit from the xeons and X99.

The sensors crashed it - had to open fake smc and delete them.

I unticked everything in acpi, disabled all the patches there as well, disabled all apple HDA and airport patches but left 5960 pike kernel patches active.

Changed to mac 14,2 and used the patches at the beginning of this thread. - fake cpuid 0x0506E4

Now I have to go through and test all the things I disabled one by one I guess.

Are you running the Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 9 under 10.12.6 or 10.13 PB3/DP4? Are onboard-wifi and Bluetooth natively supported? Does Airdrop and Hands-off work natively with this board?

I would appreciate a quick answer.

Many thanks in advance!

KGP 

I feel like if you're at 95c and not OCing in Prime95 you probably have a problem w/ how your cooler is installed. Not normal!  1.2v is nothing.

I feel like if you're at 95c and not OCing in Prime95 you probably have a problem w/ how your cooler is installed. Not normal!  1.2v is nothing.

It spikes to 95c at 1.2v in windows with occt. Cooler is seated correctly. Stock (1.07v in bios) gets 65-75c over the cores with occt.

Read the Tom's hardware review (or anyone but AnandTech's) and you'll see the i9's are actually miniture space heaters that happen to have some compute capabilities.

Tom's had to switch to a liquid loop in order to not see their i9-7900X throttle at stock voltage, but even a custom loop was seeing throttling when overclocked.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-7900x-skylake-x,5092-11.html

And Menno, you probably should go -4 or -5 on the AVX downclock.

It seems that with the latest build of 10.13 and this EFI (stripped a lot) that power management works.

// edit

ok a bit too much. sleep and shutdown give a reboot lol.

Wow it's stripped completely bare lol.

Is this on DP 5? I just installed it a few minutes ago. The new beta works better with my vega and no probs with app store update.

Wow it's stripped completely bare lol.

Is this on DP 5? I just installed it a few minutes ago. The new beta works better with my vega and no probs with app store update.

This is on DP5. My Intel Widget shows that its switching between frequencies. Only 1 DisplayPort doesn't work with Vega here. 1x Ultrafine 5k (2x DP to thunderbolt card) and 2x UD68-P (4k). In windows all three monitors are recognized, but in macOS only 2. Oh well maybe I add a cheap rx550 or so for the third screen. 

Read the Tom's hardware review (or anyone but AnandTech's) and you'll see the i9's are actually miniture space heaters that happen to have some compute capabilities.

Tom's had to switch to a liquid loop in order to not see their i9-7900X throttle at stock voltage, but even a custom loop was seeing throttling when overclocked.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-7900x-skylake-x,5092-11.html

And Menno, you probably should go -4 or -5 on the AVX downclock.

Scary!  Actually a pretty big turn off, especially to learn it's just because of a minor cost-savings from Intel.

Scary!  Actually a pretty big turn off, especially to learn it's just because of a minor cost-savings from Intel.

Not really.

10 cores at 4.5 is always going to crank out the heat. Anyone buying these has really got to think about 380 radiator space minimum.

As for the cost savings, I agree! Although I did pay less for the 10 core 7900x than I did for my 8 core 5960x a few years ago. If it's too bad I guess I'll delid.

Hoping I can get the speedstep going soon - Brumbaer is onto it even though he's short of a computer right now and just theorising.

Not really.

10 cores at 4.5 is always going to crank out the heat. Anyone buying these has really got to think about 380 radiator space minimum.

As for the cost savings, I agree! Although I did pay less for the 10 core 7900x than I did for my 8 core 5960x a few years ago. If it's too bad I guess I'll delid.

Hoping I can get the speedstep going soon - Brumbaer is onto it even though he's short of a computer right now and just theorising.

Try and remove (or disable at boot) the _xcpm_bootstrap patch?

ptu8Cz6.png

• Like 1

Try and remove (or disable at boot) the _xcpm_bootstrap patch?

ptu8Cz6.png

Is that you on the X299??

I'll have a go tomorrow. Right now the computer is in bits.

@fabiosun

Yes! I'm old and forgetful haha. Now you've reminded me I'll put the credit :)

I will make adjustments one day. I have no idea what I'm doing though and so it is quite a long process.

I hope to emulate Menno's clover one day. It has FakeSMC and that's about it.

My post wasn't not for credit! :-) but I am happy for this

My post was only to say maybe you can have less kernel patches..maybe 4 or five to have a working system with some stepping :-)

I can't read well menu's clover folder..for me it is corrupted!

Yes I know fabiosun and thankyou for your help! :)

I'll take out the patches one by one and see what happens. This is the way I hackintosh and it's very slow.

I added a lot of those kernel patches to try to get stepping to work and haven't taken them out yet.

I think I only need a few uefi drivers also.

My post wasn't  for credit! :-) but I am happy for this

My post was only to say maybe you can have less kernel patches..maybe 4 or five to have a working system with some stepping :-)

I can't read well Menno's clover folder..for me it is corrupted!

It's zipped with macOS. Is this also corrupted?

//Edit

By the way, I don't use onboard audio or wi-fi. So I removed also everything audio related.

CLOVER.zip

ciao surfinchina

I know this clover zip! :-)

You have to do many adjustment in it because you are using in acpi/patched a 2696V4 Xeon ssdt and Others aml not useful for skylake or similar

the same clover folder could work also in Sierra 10.12.X

you have only to correct some kernel Patches

ciao fabiosun

I did what you suggested and actually removed all of the kernel and kext patches.

As a result now I have full speedstep, my USBs still all work but my sound is no good - I use a USB DAC anyway so don't need the sound. HDMI sound is working without patches.

Thanks!!! :-)

post-1564334-0-96611800-1502340631_thumb.png

edit: I've just been playing with an overclock. You know, this platform is amazing!!! No kext or kernel patches, no ssdt or dsdt, just npci 2000 and pretty well only fakesmc in clover.

About as close to a true Apple as I've ever been really, but faster :D

post-1564334-0-43024600-1502358235_thumb.png

CLOVER.zip

• Like 1

ciao fabiosun

I did what you suggested and actually removed all of the kernel and kext patches.

As a result now I have full speedstep, my USBs still all work but my sound is no good - I use a USB DAC anyway so don't need the sound. HDMI sound is working without patches.

Thanks!!! :-)

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-08-10 16.48.48.png

edit: I've just been playing with an overclock. You know, this platform is amazing!!! No kext or kernel patches, no ssdt or dsdt, just npci 2000 and pretty well only fakesmc in clover.

About as close to a true Apple as I've ever been really, but faster :D

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-08-10 21.40.15.png

Good work! Do you have sleep/wake? I don't. It goes to sleep now but if I wake it it just reboots. Oh well. It's a workstation, not a laptop lol. I can wait a few min for boot.

Don’t get it how it works on your build... can not even boot with your EFI....

Damn still searching for the reason.

I'm still working on making it robust and will post any changes that might help :)

Good work! Do you have sleep/wake? I don't. It goes to sleep now but if I wake it it just reboots. Oh well. It's a workstation, not a laptop lol. I can wait a few min for boot.

No idea if it has sleep wake haha. I just have it always on. With screensaver when I'm not around.

One problem I do have since I removed all patches is that it'll freeze sometimes and sometimes just logout when I'm in the Chrome browser.

Surfinchina, could you please post your BIOS setup and let us know which exact version of the osx are you using?

Thank you!

It seems you have a wonderful machine

Thanks jlc

Bios is pretty standard. csm compatibility off, vt-d off, the rest is normal except for the overclock which is manual clock 48 and volts 1.26.

I'll take some pics of it next time I'm in bios. If I remember lol.

I'm using High Sierra public beta 4. It seems the best so far.

Thanks jlc

Bios is pretty standard. csm compatibility off, vt-d off, the rest is normal except for the overclock which is manual clock 48 and volts 1.26.

I'll take some pics of it next time I'm in bios. If I remember lol.

I'm using High Sierra public beta 4. It seems the best so far.

Can you upload clover full log? I want to see your system.

Thanks in advance

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄