Change CPU Name in About this Mac

Shaneee

48 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, marco.pisellonio80 said:

Hello, Shanee, great work.

Is there a way to change Graphic section? I should like to add the ® in my Intel® HD 520. Trying to insert it in the DSDT/SSDT it gives me error when decompile it, it says there is wrong codification.

Thank you in advance.

Yeah you can. Navigate to /Applications/Utilities/System Information/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/SPinfo.strings

Copy SPInfo.strings to your Desktop and open it with TextWrangler and find the following,

<key>DISP_GFX_MAIN</key>
	<string>%@ %@</string>

Edit it to look like this,

<key>DISP_GFX_MAIN</key>
	<string>Intel® HD 520</string>

Replace file and check About This Mac

• Like 1

post-468967-0-43236900-1514876176_thumb.pngYep I know and if you read after your message you will see mine :)

I update too much and some time I loose this modify :)

Edited by Guest
ops some messages are missing (I have written in this thread before)

• 3 weeks later...

I had updated my CPU using @Shaneee's instruction when I was using 10.13.3. I updated to 10.13.4 today using the guide @ https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-13-4-update.248292/ over at TonyMac. I updated my apfs.efi and updated. I also used Benjamin Dobell's NVIDIA driver tool to install the NVIDIA drivers. After all this update the processor was reset back to 3.7 GHz Unknown Processor, when it was set to 3.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8600K. I tried redoing the steps and no cigar. Can anyone advise if this still works for 10.13.4? and if it doesn't, maybe someone has a fix?

Thanks @Shaneee for all your work!

31 minutes ago, Awesome Donkey said:

It still works fine, you just have to edit the UnknownCPUKind string in English.lproj (or whatever language you're using, I'm assuming) file again.

I double checked and it's working now...

I might have been editing the wrong string or something.

Edited by draque

• 1 month later...

Every time I go to terminal and put in the sudo command and then my password it comes back saying Main Executable Failed Strict Validation 

Anyone seen this or know why its doing this when I try to use terminal to process the signature

Edited by colorado
thought I forgot to add something

4 hours ago, colorado said:

Every time I go to terminal and put in the sudo command and then my password it comes back saying Main Executable Failed Strict Validation 

Anyone seen this or know why its doing this when I try to use terminal to process the signature

Try the method a few posts down or after the opening method.   Open with text wrangler ( free software) and there is no need for terminal commands.

The terminal command issue may be due to  SIP settings.   

On 9/1/2017 at 11:32 AM, Shaneee said:

If it's showing as Unknown then navigate to System\Library\PrivateFrameworks\AppleSystemInfo.framework\Versions\A\Resources\English.lproj and open up AppleSystemInfo.strings in TextWrangler. This app is on the App Store. Find the following and change it to what you want.

From this,

<key>UnknownCPUKind</key>
	<string>Unknown</string>

To this,

<key>UnknownCPUKind</key>
	<string>Intel Xeon E5-2670</string>

Many thanks! Worked like a charm for me. :thumbsup_anim:

KqDSK3L.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Ikerox said:

I have no permissions to edit the applesysteminfo... How can I give permissions? I tried to give via... "Photo uploaded" but can't... Any ideas??

Thaxx

Captura de pantalla 2018-06-17 a la(s) 16.37.53.png

Copy the file to the Desktop and edit. Once done simply replace the file.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:16 PM, Shaneee said:

Use either Firewolf RepairPermission script or InsanelyRepairPermission

InsanelyRepair Permission script says me:

Error: You must run this command as root user!

As far as I know Im administrator user...:surprised:1011234199_Capturadepantalla2018-06-19alas17_26_11.png.58ffbaa3ec1bd9c0729168d3d1ae4946.png

1 hour ago, Ikerox said:

InsanelyRepair Permission script says me:

Error: You must run this command as root user!

As far as I know Im administrator user...:surprised:1011234199_Capturadepantalla2018-06-19alas17_26_11.png.58ffbaa3ec1bd9c0729168d3d1ae4946.png

You need to run it with sudo.

sudo InsanelyRepairPermissions -r /

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it actually an "issue" if the OS doesn't know which CPU it is? My Hackintosh shows the correct GHz, core count, cache etc. just that it says "Unknown" for the actual model.

Thank you in advance!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

You can also edit /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/[your system language].lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings using TextWrangler (to deobfuscate the text). I've only tested this under Mojave, but I'd assume it works under any version post Yosemite (as they all use the same About This Mac).

If you have an Intel processor (any Intel processor) being reported, you'll need to rename the key "SpeedAndTypeFormat" to "IntelSpeedAndTypeFormat" and then replace its string with "%1$@ [your text]", or replace the entire string and manually specify the frequency.

If "Unknown" is reported, then you can simply replace UnknownCPUKind with your processor, however the above method also works if you want to change your processor frequency.

Example:

1311267171_Screenshot2019-05-30at1_55_00pm.thumb.png.502abb941373c22c5e2e9bcd6aac5c4b.png

An advantage of doing this is having no character limit or potential to screw anything up using a hex editor.