Fixed: About this Mac crashing on 8.8.1 Kernel

TopazBar

61 posts in this topic

Just checked:

10.4.5 No loginwindow update from Apple

10.4.6 About this Mac shows nothing (it is like I never launched it - loginwindow doesn't crash but unuseful)

10.4.7 No loginwindow update from Apple

For hardware overview software, I retrieved it from patch package of 10.4.4 install dvd. It could be from 10.4.3.

So this fixed the unknown cpu also ? good find :hysterical:

Maybe just going back to 10.4.7 loginwindow would do the trick ?

:hysterical: bastered build :hysterical:

TopazBar, I use cpus=1 and have no troubles with ATM crashing, but there is no info in Hardware.

You have to get the right software for this: http://rapidshare.com/files/1639635/SPPlat...porter.tgz.html

To install: sudo tar -xvzf SPPlatformReporter.tgz -C /System/Library/SystemProfiler

When I enable both cpus I have all kinds of crashing even a reboot :blink:

Would your fix, give me info and enable 2 cpu :idea:

I don't know. Try and report.

Also my GMA950 is only showing 64mb and should be 256mb, would hardware fix this?

I'm not sure. Try and report.

TopazBar, it worked like it should for giving me "Hardware :spam:

Unfortunately no fix for 2 cpus, it still crashes and reboots.

My GMA950 still only says 64mb and my ram is only 533 not 667 :spam:

Hopefully after everyone gets up to 8.1 we will see more fixes :spam:

joe,

I think it says 64MB for GMA for everybody, and it does not matter. Same for the memory speed. OS X can't just ignore what's in BIOS and set it's own memory speed. So you shouldn't worry about what it says, it's just not correctly detected, bad info.

So you shouldn't worry about what it says, it's just not correctly detected, bad info.

I'd like to agree, but I'm thinkin the ram speeds do have something to do with slowing system clock, if thats the cause of the problem, then I need to worry about what els may be failing because of "bad info"

I think somethings funny with my install, because I can not keep both cpus enabled, I got past "reboots", but I'm left with stutter that ends in the system freezing, then I have to reboot my self :P

Fixed on ASRock Conroe945G-DVI. But I think this will work on other systems.

Restore /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app from 10.4.4.

Also restore /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter from earlier version to get Hardware Overview working properly.

Thanks TopazBar. It worked perfectly!! :D

Nevertheless I have also replaced SPDiagnosticsReporter.spreporter because after upgrading to 10.4.8 the diagnostics section was displaying some memory errors during start up... :D

With the new Jas Install DVD you dont have to do {censored} all you need is to add loginwindow in your install menu and that's all you need to do, I can get everything now....

Thanks Jas....

Thanks for the tips. However how to you add loginwindow to the install menu and which version of loginwindow should we use?

Pls provide detail procedures.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, the fix does not work for AMD SSE3 here. I replaced it

with the 10.4.4 loginwindow.app, but it still logs me out when I click on

about this mac. Seems to be a kernel issue. It also gives me an error

but it dissapears too fast so I can't read it.

I'm not sure if it is kernel related.

Rather, I'm positive it is mobo (your system) related:

1. This problem doesn't occur on some mobo's (most notably in intel)

2. This occurs on some non-intel mobo's

3. This occurs on all/some (?) AMD based system

On my mobo,

10.4.4 loginwindow works

10.4.6 loginwindow does not work, but doesn't crash

10.4.8 loginwindow crashes

You notice it is getting worst with each update from Apple.

Right now, I don't know a solution for AMD.

Where did you pull the loginwindow.app from? I only ask because if you are using AMD, you'll need to use the decrypted form (at least I think so). I pulled the .app from my 10.4.4 myzar install (updated to 10.4.7 using Jas patches / semjaza decrypts) and ATM works fine. It does mis-report my proc speed as 500MHz ( more on that below) The hardware specs are also there, but they are not as complete as on my 10.4.7 install. I'll have to look into that...

About the mis-reporting. My 10.4.7 install did that intially, but then I applied the SSE3 kernal install from 10.4.7 disc, and then re-pached files with the maxxuss decrypts. After doing that, my proc speed was reported correctly (2.41 GHz AMD). So the problem with reporting must be d/t the kernel.

I replaced the 10.4.8 loginwindow.app with the one from 10.4.7. The system rebooted fine, but when I clicked "About This Mac," it instantly crashed. I'd have thought that if the loginwindow even managed to run at all, it should've worked fine. Do I really need to try the 10.4.4 loginwindow?

The System Profiler trick worked wonderfully, however.

I'm using a proprietary ASUS motherboard for a Sony Vaio w/ an Intel Pentium 4 HT processor.

P.S. I originally thought this only happened using the Semthex kernel. Is it normal to experience this with Vitality's too?