Build_Clover.command, another Script to build standard Clover (or customized)

Micky1979
2,126 posts in this topic

The problem is at line 657:

local EDK2DIR=$(cd "$CLOVERROOT"/.. && echo "$PWD")

That variable will be defined only if the WORKSPACE variable is empty, but it's not (according to the script output Building from bla-bla-bla), so line 797 is trying to use variable that's not defined yet.

Line 657 should be excluded from that if statement at least or maybe put before it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

OK, trying to build with UDK2018 now...

About my prev. error, I wonder.. why I can't find "EXT_PACKAGES" folder somewhere else from EDK2 dir.

With UDK, compilation is possible but there are duplicate drivers: aptiomemory, aptioinput, apfsdriverLoader in the list of choices. These drivers are added despite the default setting = 0 introduced by the r4562 commit. If I understood correctly.

Sorry for this OFF Topic and my bad english

All fine on my end (with the default method). But...I don't have APFSDriverLoader anymore...for some weird reason.

Has it been removed in 4562? I see there are a bunch of changes, some of which include it. Not sure what exactly are those changes all about.

And I still had it in 4561 (the one that I've built this morning).

Update: Oook, so I'm back. This was not fun. So...4563 didn't have two essential things to boot: APFSDriverLoader and OsxAptioFix3drv. So...after installing it, I went from all right...to all wrong. :)) Good thing I got my MBP around so I can make a USB drive and boot back again. 

Edited by arsradu

3 hours ago, arsradu said:

All fine on my end (with the default method). But...I don't have APFSDriverLoader anymore...for some weird reason.

I posted some changes to Slice in 'Clover Bug/Issue Report and Patch', but I wasn't expecting him to commit what I was proposing to test ...and suddenly. Anyway this is just an example on how to use it: 

Build_Clover_unofficial.command.zip

...but please, take this for you. If works please post the result in the General discussion as I cannot help here. Changes was to give a chance to users to build external drivers instead of downloading pre-compiled onces (by default) as Slice did in r4550. Anyway I'll rework Clover's scripts to what Sir Zenith432 suggest me as soon as I have time, like next week-end. :)

Mind that Clover before the commit I mentioned wasn't anyway able to download AptioMemoryFix.efi/AptioInputFix.efi nor ApfsDriverLoader.efi, so its up to you to give the right argument to ebuild.sh. ... or just build them by your self since ebuild.sh just did what was doing in r4549, i.e. nothing about external drivers.

P.S. don't forget to delete all conflicting packages:

edk2/

ApfsSupportPkg  

CupertinoModulePkg

EfiPkg

AptioFixPkg

EfiMiscPkg

since their not belong to edk2/udk. Or just start with new and fresh source (not really needed).

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vector sigma said:

I posted some changes to Slice in 'Clover Bug/Issue Report and Patch', but I wasn't expecting him to commit what I was proposing to test ...and suddenly. Anyway this is just an example on how to use it: 

Build_Clover_unofficial.command.zip

...but please, take this for you. If works please post the result in the General discussion as I cannot help here. Changes was to give a chance to users to build external drivers instead of downloading pre-compiled onces (by default) as Slice did in r4550. Anyway I'll rework Clover's scripts to what Sir Zenith432 suggest me as soon as I have time, like next week-end. :)

Mind that Clover before the commit I mentioned wasn't anyway able to download AptioMemoryFix.efi/AptioInputFix.efi nor ApfsDriverLoader.efi, so its up to you to give the right argument to ebuild.sh. ... or just build them by your self since ebuild.sh just did what was doing in r4549, i.e. nothing about external drivers.

P.S. don't forget to delete all conflicting packages:

edk2/

ApfsSupportPkg  

CupertinoModulePkg

EfiPkg

AptioFixPkg

EfiMiscPkg

since their not belong to edk2/udk. Or just start with new and fresh source (not really needed).

Thank you very much for the script. It builds 4564 ok. No errors for as far as I can see. But it still doesn't include OsXAptioFix3Drv to be selected in the UI. And still pushes to install VBoxHfs by default (though I don't need it since I use HFSPlus), but not APFS... Any kind of it. ApfsDriverLoader is available though. Optionally.

Clean sources, by the way. I can upload the log somewhere if you need it. Uploads on the forum are still broken.

Edited by arsradu

6 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Thank you very much for the script. It builds 4564 ok. No errors for as far as I can see. But it still doesn't include OsXAptioFix3Drv to be selected in the UI. And still pushes to install VBoxHfs by default (though I don't need it since I use HFSPlus), but not APFS... Any kind of it. ApfsDriverLoader is available though. Optionally.

Clean sources, by the way. I can upload the log somewhere if you need it. Uploads on the forum are still broken.

Sorry, but I don't see it wrong that VBoxHfs.efi is checked by default! HFSPlus.efi is not part of the Clover distribution! Thus many unexperienced users, not implementing HFSPlus.efi (and many of them might not even know what you are talking about), will face severe problems without VBoxHfs.efi!

Please leave everything as implemented! I would rather consider HFSPlus.efi being totally obsolete. 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

5 minutes ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

Sorry, but I don't see it wrong that VBoxHfs.efi is checked by default! HFSPlus.efi is not part of the Clover distribution! Thus many unexperienced users, not implementing HFSPlus.efi (and many of them might not even know what you are talking about), will face severe problems without VBoxHfs.efi!

Please leave everything as implemented! 

All I'm suggesting is a simple check for availability. If it's there, don't push it by default. If it's not, by all means. :)

By the way, wouldn't there be conflicts if one uses both at the same time? Just curious.

Also, why not do the same for APFS? I mean...if we're talking about unexperienced/new users, their drives will be automatically converted to APFS, not HFS. So...whether or not Clover pushes HFS (any kinds of it), it's gonna be equal to 0, since they're not gonna use that to boot.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, arsradu said:

OsXAptioFix3Drv

Ok, I missed it in your previous post. But is nowhere in ebuild.sh... is obsolete, or is just same as another one and you need to do something directly with the source?

About Vbox hfs, why do you want to rip out it when the postinstall script already do that for you?

additionally do you know HFSPlus is just w/o LICENSE and is not inside Clover and for this not shared? I mean, if you don't want him, why not deleting it from Clover before compile the pkg just as you take the step to copy inside Clover?

Anyway I'll try to do something, added to my todo list.

19 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Also, why not do the same for APFS

bad, I want to boot hfs or apfs since I have yosemite..

Edited by vector sigma

17 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Ok, I missed it in your previous post. But is nowhere in ebuild.sh... is obsolete?

About Vbox hfs, why do you want to rip out it when the postinstall script already do that for you?

additionally do you know HFSPlus is just w/o LICENSE and is not inside Clover and for this not shared? I mean, if you don't want him, why not deleting it from Clover before compile the pkg just has you take the step to copy inside Clover?

Anyway I'll try to do something, added to my todo list.

OsxAptioFix3drv is definitely NOT obsolete. :) And not just that, but it's mandatory to boot.

Sorry, maybe I got this wrong, but are you saying it's not gonna be added to drivers64UEFI, EVEN if it's checked by default, if I have HFSPlus.efi at that location? Cause...that solves some problems, I guess. But....why not do the check for options BEFORE we push user with VBoxHFS..?

And again, most people will slowly but surely migrate towards APFS. So...pushing HFS, regardless whether or not it's VboxHfs or HFSPlus, but NOT including APFS by default, doesn't seem right to me. Also, in my opinion, at least ONE AptioFix should be checked by default. And I would suggest AptioFix3Drv, since that one also comes with fixes for NVRAM on motherboards without hardware NVRAM (basically, with that one in place, you don't need EmuVariable anymore). Also, I'm pretty sure they are mutually exclusive. So...again, checking for what the user already has...should be done before showing what else he can get. It's just my humble opinion, of course.

Not sure if it's got any downsides, too. In my case, it's been working perfectly fine.

Edited by arsradu

12 minutes ago, arsradu said:

And again, most people will slowly but surely migrate towards APFS. So...pushing HFS,

You giving me right? Lol. Better can be to install both by def.

12 minutes ago, arsradu said:

OsxAptioFix3drv is definitely NOT obsolete. :) And not just that, but it's mandatory to boot.

I don't need one of them to boot.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304530-clover-change-explanations/?do=findComment&comment=2570653

Can a moderator move this discussion starting from here to Clover general discussion? ..thanks

Edited by vector sigma

9 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

You giving me right? Lol

To boot I don't need one of them.

Sorry, I don't understand. I'm giving you right....? Right for what?

Also, which one don't you need to boot? Cause I'm pretty sure you need at least ONE of them. I was only suggesting using the latest one (OsXAptioFix3Drv). As it's also mentioned in the post you linked above.

OsxAptioFixDrv and OsxAptioFix2Drv reverted to rev before 4368 so without NVRAM support. Let them stay here for history. And sometimes OsxAptioFixDrv is only working version for high warped memory map.

So, if I got this correctly, the first two ARE obsolete. The third one is not. But, I'm pretty sure you need at least one of them to boot.

As a matter of fact, tonight I wasn't able to boot with Clover 4563 exactly because I didn't pay attention that it was missing from the installer, and it got removed from drivers64UEFI. The result? Un-bootable system. So yes, it is important for boot.

I'm not sure if there is anyone who can boot without any of them. Not sure though. :) 

Edited by arsradu

Just now, vector sigma said:

nope: I don't need one of them.

Ok. :))) Lucky you, I guess. Never heard of anyone who can boot without at least one AptioFix Driver. But...ok. I learn something new every day. What about APFS though? Can you boot without it? I'm honestly just curious. Cause, apparently what I thought was mandatory to boot, is not so mandatory for some people.

4 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I was only suggesting using the latest one (OsXAptioFix3Drv).

The latest one is AptioMemoryFix.

Just now, arsradu said:

Never heard of anyone who can boot without at least one AptioFix Driver. But...ok.

Are you kidding me??

10 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Can you boot without it? I'm honestly just curious. Cause, apparently what I thought was mandatory to boot, is not so mandatory for some people.

Well, if you insist to strictly 'boot', is not mandatory. You can have the need if you can't boot without. Being good for nvram is another story.

7 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Ok. Any idea if it can be used to fix NVRAM issues, like OsXAptioFix3Drv can?

Sure does. and is better.

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, arsradu said:

All I'm suggesting is a simple check for availability. If it's there, don't push it by default. If it's not, by all means. :)

By the way, wouldn't there be conflicts if one uses both at the same time? Just curious.

Also, why not do the same for APFS? I mean...if we're talking about unexperienced/new users, their drives will be automatically converted to APFS, not HFS. So...whether or not Clover pushes HFS (any kinds of it), it's gonna be equal to 0, since they're not gonna use that to boot.

Up to my poor knowledge you don't need HFSPlus.efi, if VBoxHfs.efi is implemented, even in case you still use the old HFS+ file system. That's why I meant that HFSPlus.efi seems obsolete. :wink_anim:

AptioMemoryFix.efi works fine at least on all my systems (X299 and X99).. I would not know why one would need OsXAptioFix3Drv.efi to be checked by default :wink_anim: At least the latter EFI does not work for me at all (memory allocation errors)... 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

10 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Well, if you insist to 'boot', is not mandatory. You can have the need if you can't boot without. Being good for nvram is another story.

Ok. I did not know that. As I said, I'm learning new things every day. And I'm not afraid to say "I don't know".

7 minutes ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

Up to my poor knowledge you don't need HDSPlus.efi, if VBoxHfs.efi is implemented, even in case you still use the old HFS+ file system. That's why I meant that HFSPlus.efi seems obsolete. :wink_anim:

AptioMemoryFix.efi works fine at least on all my systems (X299 and X99).. I would not know why one would need OsXAptioFix3Drv.efi to be checked by default :wink_anim:

I see. Ok. I'll give that a try, as well. I just thought that AptioMemoryFix is older, or not as good as AptioFix3. I was just suggesting using the best one.

And since, as I said above, I've never heard of anyone who doesn't need it..., and also based on my personal experience, I supposed it might be mandatory for boot. That's why I said to use it by default. My bad, I guess.

11 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Well, if you insist to 'boot', is not mandatory. You can have the need if you can't boot without. Being good for nvram is another story.

APFS is not mandatory for boot on an APFS system?

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

Ok. I did not know that. As I said, I'm learning new things every day. And I'm not afraid to say "I don't know".

I see. Ok. I'll give that a try, as well. I just thought that AptioMemoryFix is older, or not as good as AptioFix3. I was just suggesting using the best one.

And since, as I said above, I've never heard of anyone who doesn't need it..., and also based on my personal experience, I supposed it might be mandatory for boot. My bad, I guess.

AptioMemoryFix.efi for me works flawless and also is up-to-date.. Give it a try.. The same states for VBoxHfs.efi.. you might realise that HFSPlus.efi is not needed when using VBoxHfs.efi :wink_anim:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, arsradu said:

As I said, I'm learning new things every day. And I'm not afraid to say "I don't know"

No problems Bro':wink_anim:, me too I'm new to hackintoses, just I'm able sometimes to read code even if a little rusty:P

Edited by vector sigma
typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

And what I said?

Well you said this:

APFS doesn't have anything to do with being good for NVRAM, for as far as I know... So I suppose you were referring here to AptioFix3Drv.

But my question was about APFS: can you boot without apfs.efi on an APFS based system?

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Yes, it is not needed. For as far as I know, they both do the same thing. BUT....I head VBoxHFs is slower. That's why I'm using HFSPlus in the first place. But maybe I was wrong about this, as well... 

I can't see mutch difference, and is just read-only vs read-write, even if I can't understand why you need to write something to your ESP that is FAT32

But my question was about APFS: can you boot without apfs.efi on an APFS based system?

of course yes! This just since last week when I saw ApfsSupport which is able to load apfs.efi from inside the OS partition that we already have. But here again, we can just give a month of testing before make it essential?....

Additionally the Clover package save what you have done before, isn't this enough to remind what did you previously selected?

So I suppose you were referring here to AptioFix3Drv

yes

Good night guys!

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 1