[Guide][Deprecated] Installing OS X 10.11.4-10.12.3 on Surface Book

cydia2020

192 posts in this topic

How hard would it be to create an image which had everything setup and patched for the device?

Simply for Surface Book users to burn the image to an HD or External HD then boot straight in?

Thanks

Hi, mate,

From what I know thats probably can be done, but when a DMG image is mounted, a checksum is done, so I don't know if it's gonna mounted correctly when BaseSystem.DMG is mounted in the boot of the installation. Therefore, I don't find any software in Windows can do this reliably.

BTW installing a VMware machine's not hard, so there's no point or only a little point of doing that. And it's gonna take forever for my network to upload that kind of image lol.

Cheers

Something is always better then nothing. So should I wait to update to 10.12.4? Since i read that the graphics don't work.

Yes, please wait for updating to 10.12.4

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/322271-anyone-get-skylake-intel-hd-520-working-on-10124/?do=findComment&comment=2393951

Would this work for us?

Another question, I can't get iMessages to work. Any idea? I'm using my iPhone for internet.

Yes it should work, iMessage need a real device identifier, which means you need to have a real mac to use it. or you can get one from a Apple Store, use this

Yes it should work, iMessage need a real device identifier, which means you need to have a real mac to use it. or you can get one from a Apple Store, use this

I grab a serial number from the apple store, did I need to grab anything else?

I still get black artifacts on the top left of my screen even after changing my color profile.

I grab a serial number from the apple store, did I need to grab anything else?

I still get black artifacts on the top left of my screen even after changing my color profile.

All the information from iMessage debug is needed.

Hi, I just reinstalled macOS on my Surface Book and have the latest 10.12.4 running and working great with wifi and bluetooth via dongles, sound working. A little buggy on graphics but nothing too bad. My only major issue is that the resolution is set to 3000x2000 which makes the top menu bar really small, as well as all text, which makes my head hurt trying to read it. Does anyone know how to change the resolution to enlarge the size of text and menu bar? I tried Settings -> Displays -> Scaled but only the 3000x2000 resolution is available.

Hi, I just reinstalled macOS on my Surface Book and have the latest 10.12.4 running and working great with wifi and bluetooth via dongles, sound working. A little buggy on graphics but nothing too bad. My only major issue is that the resolution is set to 3000x2000 which makes the top menu bar really small, as well as all text, which makes my head hurt trying to read it. Does anyone know how to change the resolution to enlarge the size of text and menu bar? I tried Settings -> Displays -> Scaled but only the 3000x2000 resolution is available.

Hi mate, sorry for the late reply

Try command

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES

Hi mate, sorry for the late reply

Try command

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES

I ran that and restarted but could not find any more resolutions in the display preferences. I also ran:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES

and restarted but that did not work either. Using SwitchResX also has no effect. Any ideas?

I ran that and restarted but could not find any more resolutions in the display preferences. I also ran:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES
and restarted but that did not work either. Using SwitchResX also has no effect. Any ideas?

Then that would be the problem of the system version, try install 10.12.3 then install the graphics patch

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hello group,

First I want to say this thread has been invaluable.  I'll be upfront, I'm a newbie at this, but with the guidance of this thread and carefully studying the YouTube videos I got my Surface Book loaded with 10.12.2 last night.  I can't explain why 10.12.3 didn't work, it was probably user error.

So now I'm most of the way there and looking for some input with a few glitches.

1. Sleep doesn't seem to work right.  The computer goes to sleep, monitor and keyboard go out.  When waking up, the keyboard backlight and USB wifi come back to life, but not the screen.  I can't seem to wake up the screen at all.  Any ideas?
  2. When zooming in on photos in iCloud using the Photos app, the app crashes every time...  Any ideas?
  3. It looks like my build only recognizes 8 of my 16GB of ram.  -Not a big deal...
  4. I'm having having trouble getting dual boot to work.  I can get clover installed on the NVMe EFI partition, and then the Mac side works, but after renaming the efi/microsft/boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi, I get errors trying to boot into the windows side.  Any ideas or feedback?  Is there a better utility to use instead of Clover's install setup?  
  5. I'm pretty sure I don't want the system to take updates to to 10.12.5 or 6, that would likely create a mess.  Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Cydia2020:  I've got some love coming your way.  I swear, if I worked out these bugs and got gestures to work I wouldn't need or want dual boot.  I'd stick with OS X full time.

Thanks all!

Hello group,

First I want to say this thread has been invaluable.  I'll be upfront, I'm a newbie at this, but with the guidance of this thread and carefully studying the YouTube videos I got my Surface Book loaded with 10.12.2 last night.  I can't explain why 10.12.3 didn't work, it was probably user error.

So now I'm most of the way there and looking for some input with a few glitches.

1. Sleep doesn't seem to work right.  The computer goes to sleep, monitor and keyboard go out.  When waking up, the keyboard backlight and USB wifi come back to life, but not the screen.  I can't seem to wake up the screen at all.  Any ideas?
  2. When zooming in on photos in iCloud using the Photos app, the app crashes every time...  Any ideas?
  3. It looks like my build only recognizes 8 of my 16GB of ram.  -Not a big deal...
  4. I'm having having trouble getting dual boot to work.  I can get clover installed on the NVMe EFI partition, and then the Mac side works, but after renaming the efi/microsft/boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi, I get errors trying to boot into the windows side.  Any ideas or feedback?  Is there a better utility to use instead of Clover's install setup?  
  5. I'm pretty sure I don't want the system to take updates to to 10.12.5 or 6, that would likely create a mess.  Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Cydia2020:  I've got some love coming your way.  I swear, if I worked out these bugs and got gestures to work I wouldn't need or want dual boot.  I'd stick with OS X full time.

Thanks all!

Hi There

1. Sleep doesn't work very well in 10.12.2, I recall it worked in 10.12

2. I don't know if that's a bug of the OS itself or it's a Hackintosh related problem, gonna figure it out later

3. Use clover configurator to open config.plist in the EFI/CLOVER directory and go to SMBIOS section, add the missing RAM to the config.plist file and you are good to go.

4. You don't need to do that anymore, the reason that we are doing that is to avoid fastboot overriding the clover bootloader, now, you can rename it back, go to Windows, download bootice, mount EFI Partition in Windows, add clover as a boot option in UEFI tab. Then go to Surface UEFI Settings by holding volume UP while booting, select clover bootloader as the ONLY bootloader, lock the boot options and now you should have dual boot working

Inked_IMG_20170523_105547_LI.jpg

5. Yes, please dont update for now since there are no graphics driver that can be applied directly without modifing DSDT.

Thanks for your support

いけざき たくみ

Hi group,

Has anyone ever seen the error /freeze point in the attached jpg? I'm trying to install 10.12.3 and it seems to freeze at this point. I've given it 25-35 minutes before I've decided that it's not moving on... any ideas?

I was able to get 10.12.2 installed successfully (see above). Now I'm trying to do a clean install of 10.12.3 to solve some of the known bugs, but 10.12.3 seems to be fighting me. Q

The freeze point is:

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now, 0, am 0x0

Thanks everyone,

Jon

post-2097672-0-51248800-1495756885_thumb.jpg

Hi group,

Has anyone ever seen the error /freeze point in the attached jpg? I'm trying to install 10.12.3 and it seems to freeze at this point. I've given it 25-35 minutes before I've decided that it's not moving on... any ideas?

I was able to get 10.12.2 installed successfully (see above). Now I'm trying to do a clean install of 10.12.3 to solve some of the known bugs, but 10.12.3 seems to be fighting me. Q

The freeze point is:

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now, 0, am 0x0

Thanks everyone,

Jon

Hi Jon, 

I remember I has this problem before, did you try change a USB device or do a clean install?

Thank you.

いけざき たくみ

Hmmm, most curious.  10.12.3, same freeze every time.  Same line, same spot.  Reformat the same USB stick, go through the process with 10.12.2 and it works fine.  

I've even downloaded a different torrent of 10.12.3 thinking mine may have been corrupt.

No progress.  

If anyone has any ideas I'm open to them.

Thanks,

Jon

Hmmm, most curious.  10.12.3, same freeze every time.  Same line, same spot.  Reformat the same USB stick, go through the process with 10.12.2 and it works fine.  

I've even downloaded a different torrent of 10.12.3 thinking mine may have been corrupt.

No progress.  

Thanks,

Jon

No progress.  

Thanks,

Jon

The freezing point is actually above on the appleCPU timeout part, did you downloaded the newest FakeSMC.kext and put it in the clover/kexts/others folder?

Thanks

いけざき たくみ

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!!

When installing OSX Sierra 12.5 using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], Only my pendrive is getting recognized by the osX installer and not the internal HDD of my Surface Book!

Have made two partitions ready, one for windows and one for osX but it is not recognized by the Diskutility.

Please advise how to resolve, thank you!

Regards,

Diwan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Firstly thank you for the guide.

I'm trying to install 10.11 as it seems to be the most compatible (SSD installation if I'm right?).

But when booting verbose gives me:

OsxAptioFix2Drv: Starting override for \.IABootFiles\boot.efi
Using reloc bloc: no, hibernate wake: no
..........................................................._

It doesn't go any further.

Tried multiple USBs, same result.

Any ideas?

Hi all,

Firstly thank you for the guide.

I'm trying to install 10.11 as it seems to be the most compatible (SSD installation if I'm right?).

But when booting verbose gives me:

OsxAptioFix2Drv: Starting override for \.IABootFiles\boot.efi
Using reloc bloc: no, hibernate wake: no
..........................................................._

It doesn't go any further.

Tried multiple USBs, same result.

Any ideas?

Try removing OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi or OsxAptioFixDrv.efi from /EFI/CLOVER/Drivers64UEFI, ONLY REMOVE ONE PLEASE

cheers