[Guide][Deprecated] Installing OS X 10.11.4-10.12.3 on Surface Book

cydia2020

192 posts in this topic

The tutorial of how to install the driver correctly are in the attached file, please use that ReadMe.txt to install. 

BTW, for the bluetooth and Wifi, it's very hard to port the driver. and apperently i am not a coder, just interested in this, so for me is kind of impossible

I am a coder, so just wondering :) Thanks for a great tutorial, though. But what do you know about updates and such. I tried an update once, and I think it broke my install. And when Sierra comes out, will it be an easy upgrade?

I am a coder, so just wondering :) Thanks for a great tutorial, though. But what do you know about updates and such. I tried an update once, and I think it broke my install. And when Sierra comes out, will it be an easy upgrade?

No, it says won't unmount during the update process. I dont know why, even in the 10.12 install process, so you really should install to a external HDD or USB first, then use the copy feature in Disk Utility from Recovery Environment, you can install combo and delta update as normal but since 10.12 you can no longer install direct update.

By the way, if you can i think you might can port the wifi driver, i didnt even finished my high school :D  i am 16 so it's very impossible for me to port the driver.

• 1 month later...

No, it says won't unmount during the update process. I dont know why, even in the 10.12 install process, so you really should install to a external HDD or USB first, then use the copy feature in Disk Utility from Recovery Environment, you can install combo and delta update as normal but since 10.12 you can no longer install direct update.

By the way, if you can i think you might can port the wifi driver, i didnt even finished my high school :D  i am 16 so it's very impossible for me to port the driver.

Hey cydia2020!

I'm having same issue on Surface Pro 3 too

Here are what I've tried:

First time direct upgrade from macOS drive>>can't install to macOS drive(can't unmount)

Second time boot"install macOS from macOS drive">>Need to verified machine by Apple, but just keeps running and never go to next step.

Update from USB boot drive>>Able to run install, however will automatically restart at the last second and nothing is done

So basically we are having the same problem and the only method is to update from recovery drive?Hmmm...

There's a guy on the thread saying he completed Sierra update successfully, probably we should ask his environment and see if will work

Long live the Surface !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Feel like I'm very close.

Followed the instructions best I could:

- got Sierra from App Store

- used command line to copy to formatted SD Drive

- Installed Clover onto SD Drive

- Applied updates for 10.12 based on Readme inside Surface Drivers

- Ejected sd card, inserted into surface book (perf base, just purchased) via USB reader

- Booted to Clover

- Ran in verbose mode and don't restart on panic

I've tried many different combinations of the boot options but it always seems to get stuck here. I also tried flashing the SD using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but same result.

Can anyone help me? Thank you!!!

9qnq8T3.jpg

Feel like I'm very close.

Followed the instructions best I could:

- got Sierra from App Store

- used command line to copy to formatted SD Drive

- Installed Clover onto SD Drive

- Applied updates for 10.12 based on Readme inside Surface Drivers

- Ejected sd card, inserted into surface book (perf base, just purchased) via USB reader

- Booted to Clover

- Ran in verbose mode and don't restart on panic

I've tried many different combinations of the boot options but it always seems to get stuck here. I also tried flashing the SD using ##### but same result.

Can anyone help me? Thank you!!!

9qnq8T3.jpg

Hi megaholu

as i mentioned in the post, you need to change the Intel device ig-platform-id to 12345678

in every boot before installing the kexts in the driver folder after you finishes install

Hi cydia2020, thanks so much for the help. I have it now booting into the Install process but it gets stuck saying "You must plug in and connect your power adapter before installing"

After that, in Terminal I ran

pmset -g ps

which shows that it thinks it's drawing from 'Battery Power'.

Full output:

Now drawing fro 'Battery Power'
 -InternalBattery-0 (id=8454243) dischargin; 0:00 remaining
   Battery Warning: Final

I put all the kexts from SurfaceDrivers into the right spot in the EFI partition.

Any ideas how to fix this part?

Thanks!

ymeYT8N.jpg

To fix the issue what I ended up doing was replacing the DSDT.aml file from the SurfaceDrivers.zip with the DSDT-battery.aml

from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311874-guidem2-pci-ssd-working-installing-os-x-10114-10121-on-surface-book/?do=findComment&comment=2233153

After that the install worked! Sound is not working so far though

If sound is not working, please try use kexts utility to install the AppleALC_298.kext

Great work, my mac died bought surface book. It's irritating to use Windows. So thanks to this guide got OS x working on surface book i7 16GB RAM, but few ignorable problems

1. not detecting charger.

2. Sound using voodoo get low volume!

3. Bluetooth speaker connecting but not playing! -[use jack]

4. Got the ultimate artifacts problem (The little one), livable than using Windows!

Any idea to make my experience executive! Much thanks to everyone for the great article!

Plus am a basic programmer in c and c++ , python,

any idea what I should look forward to learn to be able help me and community on hackintosh! Thanks

Great work, my mac died bought surface book. It's irritating to use Windows. So thanks to this guide got OS x working on surface book i7 16GB RAM, but few ignorable problems

1. not detecting charger.

2. Sound using voodoo get low volume!

3. Bluetooth speaker connecting but not playing! -[use jack]

4. Got the ultimate artifacts problem (The little one), livable than using Windows!

Any idea to make my experience executive! Much thanks to everyone for the great article!

Plus am a basic programmer in c and c++ , python,

any idea what I should look forward to learn to be able help me and community on hackintosh! Thanks

For not detecting battery, use the DSDT in the second post,

please do not use a voodooHDA, use the kexts provide in the driver folder, use kext utility to install it and you should get a working sound

if use voodoohda, jack wont work

The artifact problem should be solved by now, but I tried to solve it, I cannot figure out anything simply.

I think you can try port the Marvell Avaster Wi-Fi driver from Linux if you'd like to :P 

Thanks for replying

Hi cydia2020,

Thanks again for your great instructions - sound is working now!

The only problem I'm having is the display. It says "Connected Projector: Display" and I can't change any resolution options. The surface book's mini display port also isn't working. I've tried a bunch of stuff but nothing's worked.

Any guidance? Thanks so much!

Also, if you can post any links of ported Linux drivers. I might be able to help port the Marvell Wifi driver if I can see how others have done it. I've released open source projects before, this should be no problem.

Hi cydia2020,

Thanks again for your great instructions - sound is working now!

The only problem I'm having is the display. It says "Connected Projector: Display" and I can't change any resolution options. The surface book's mini display port also isn't working. I've tried a bunch of stuff but nothing's worked.

Any guidance? Thanks so much!

Also, if you can post any links of ported Linux drivers. I might be able to help port the Marvell Wifi driver if I can see how others have done it. I've released open source projects before, this should be no problem.

Did you install all the kexts in the SurfaceDriver zip folder?

Yes all the ones from the 10.12 folder using Kext Utility

That's wired, I think that I didn't patch the DSDT in the battery DSDT for the display maybe, but mine can change brightness. so I don't know what really is the problem for your Surface, maybe you can try repatch the DSDT

• Audio Inject ID 3
  • Intel Backlight from RehabMan
  • NullEthernet from RehabMan
  • And the Surface Pro 4 battery patch in RehabMan's Patch folder on GitHub, edited for detecting the base battery (BAT0 to BAT1, you can try if you want to combine two battery together, I tried lot of times but none of them works. :(
  • Deleted some error DSDT that comes natively.

Maybe if you could try solve the NVidia GPU problem that will be fantastic.

Thanks

Please try patch the DSDT yourself and see if the screen still detects as external monitor. :) 

Hi Guys !

First of all, thanks for this guide :) I have a SP4 (i5 / 8gb) and i want to use Sierra on it ofc. Do you think i can use this guide ? We already have a guide for SP4 but the topic is a bit outdated and it's for El Capitan :(

Thanks in advance.

PS : If the way to get Sierra on SB / SP4 is pretty close, can you just tell me what change i have to apply please ?

Hi Guys !

First of all, thanks for this guide :) I have a SP4 (i5 / 8gb) and i want to use Sierra on it ofc. Do you think i can use this guide ? We already have a guide for SP4 but the topic is a bit outdated and it's for El Capitan :(

Thanks in advance.

PS : If the way to get Sierra on SB / SP4 is pretty close, can you just tell me what change i have to apply please ?

Hi sam352

Thanks for reading the post, unfortunately, the drivers are only for surface book, the only thing you might use is the NVMe driver contains in the config.plist in the driver folder, other things are device specified, ​DO NOT TRY ON YOUR SURFACE PRO 4​, do some researches, and use the NVMe driver in your SP4 in order to let you install on the internal SSD, click the link to download the driver for 10.11 and 10.12, and copy the contents to KextsToPatch in the clover configuration file.

​PS: there's missing a <dict/> in the config file at the bottom, please add that manually, sorry for the inconvenience.

That should do the work :lol:

Give it a shot, do some research and feel free to ask, I'll help if I can.

Thanks.

Great work. I successfully installed 10.12 but I still cannot get the sound working. I have followed the instructions. Is there anything that I missed. And when I try to install 10.11 it cannot boot with a consecutive "+" and gets stuck there.

Hi mate, please use kext utilities to install the audio driver in order to let it works

Thanks

Hi mate, please use kext utilities to install the audio driver in order to let it works

Thanks

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I did use Kext Utilities to install it but it doesn't work. After the installation do I need to put the kext in the \EFI\CLOVER\kexts\  folder? And by the way, does your integrated camera work?

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I did use Kext Utilities to install it but it doesn't work. After the installation do I need to put the kext in the \EFI\CLOVER\kexts\  folder? And by the way, does your integrated camera work?

Then, I have no idea, did you put the DSDT into the /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder?

The camera wont work, sorry for that I couldn't do anything for that, I have no idea of programming or something. the camera is on a i2c port which doesn't support by OS X

Hey smart people,

I am trying to follow this guide which would definitely solve some big issues for me (mainly the annoyance of carrying around 2 laptops). I thought I followed the guide pretty well but obviously I missed something important because I keep getting stuck at what seems to be a fairly early step.

I am using 10.12 install and it seems like everything is smooth until I try to boot off of the USB. It got stuck so I ran it in verbose and no panic and got the following:

post-1880263-0-29762000-1480461859_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something silly wrong? If you need more info from me to help please let me know!

Thank you,

MChernetsky