[Guide][Deprecated] Installing OS X 10.11.4-10.12.3 on Surface Book

cydia2020

192 posts in this topic

Hey smart people,

I am trying to follow this guide which would definitely solve some big issues for me (mainly the annoyance of carrying around 2 laptops). I thought I followed the guide pretty well but obviously I missed something important because I keep getting stuck at what seems to be a fairly early step.

I am using 10.12 install and it seems like everything is smooth until I try to boot off of the USB. It got stuck so I ran it in verbose and no panic and got the following:

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something silly wrong? If you need more info from me to help please let me know!

Thank you,

MChernetsky

Hi mchernetsky

Please change the ig-platform-id to 12345678 in clover settings (Graphics Injection)for this issue, and change it back after you installed the framebuffer kext.

BTW, why not using bootcamp on your Mac?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi mchernetsky

Please change the ig-platform-id to 12345678 in clover settings (Graphics Injection)for this issue, and change it back after you installed the framebuffer kext.

BTW, why not using bootcamp on your Mac?

Thanks.

Thank you! I'm going to test that out asap.

Well, I don't know why I didn't do boot camp but I am using Parallels Desktop for my Windows VM.

I like the hardware for Surface Book better and would rather sell my over priced MacBook Pro Retina. I guess I'm looking to this solution because my last 2 MacBooks cost me $2800 each.

Best Regards,

MChernetsky

Thank you! I'm going to test that out asap.

Well, I don't know why I didn't do boot camp but I am using Parallels Desktop for my Windows VM.

I like the hardware for Surface Book better and would rather sell my over priced MacBook Pro Retina. I guess I'm looking to this solution because my last 2 MacBooks cost me $2800 each.

Best Regards,

MChernetsky

In fact, I never used MacBook before, but I heard that parallel windows thing. Please try that inject id, it should works

Sorry I missed that in the post, I already edited it.

Thanks

In fact, I never used MacBook before, but I heard that parallel windows thing. Please try that inject id, it should works

Sorry I missed that in the post, I already edited it.

Thanks

Well, I think I got passed the previous error but now I'm running into something new.

Nevermind, started from scratch on the walkthough and it worked this time. Thanks again for all your help!

Any ideas?

Best Regards,

MChernetsky

post-1880263-0-61533500-1480476124_thumb.jpg

Hi Cydia2020

Thanks very much, i used your guide to get osx up and running on my surface book and i wanted to say massive thanks, i will be following this and your other pages with keen interest.

i was wondering if you had any joy getting the touch and stylus up and running? i know a lot of people are working on touch at the moment and that there are a group of people working on 2ic touch devices and this doesn't include the surface book but i wasn't a 100% clear from your posts if you had the stylus working or not? i know there was some talk about inking working but it wasn't obvious to me where i should start looking to get the stylus working.

again thanks very much, huge fan of your work!

I come across your discuss about touch. Very interesting area in os x. I experience this with my Lenovo Yoga 15 convertible. Inking and multitouch gesture work surprisingly great.

How ever as you point out, os x buttons and icons are too small and I don't have a stylus to test. So pls share any progress in supporting touch. Would we be able to request a dedicate forum for touch, like discrete graphics

And pls share you success video with Surface Book.

These are some image of inking and touch gesture on my Yoga 500 15

Inking:

https://youtu.be/QS8gVdBITZc

Touching:

https://youtu.be/JEVYvdY95l0

This commend made by touch 100%

I come across your discuss about touch. Very interesting area in os x. I experience this with my Lenovo Yoga 15 convertible. Inking and multitouch gesture work surprisingly great.

How ever as you point out, os x buttons and icons are too small and I don't have a stylus to test. So pls share any progress in supporting touch. Would we be able to request a dedicate forum for touch, like discrete graphics

And pls share you success video with Surface Book.

These are some image of inking and touch gesture on my Yoga 500 15

Inking:

https://youtu.be/QS8gVdBITZc

Touching:

https://youtu.be/JEVYvdY95l0

This commend made by touch 100%

Hi Virgosun,

Sorry but touch will not work on Surface Book and Surface Pro 4, since the port they are using is a Intel Camplg port, which isn't stable on Linux, so I don't think there will be a kext anytime near.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Virgosun,

Sorry but touch will not work on Surface Book and Surface Pro 4, since the port they are using is a Intel Camplg port, which isn't stable on Linux, so I don't think there will be a kext anytime near.

Thanks

Hi Cydia2020,

Good to know the fact.

Thank you for the update.

• 3 weeks later...

Great

Do you interested in making an i2c kext for rotation sensor

Definitely, I am also interested in making a Kext for those cams since Surface Book actually got pretty decent cameras, but the thing is: I have no idea of programming what so ever

• Like 1

Definitely, I am also interested in making a Kext for those cams since Surface Book actually got pretty decent cameras, but the thing is: I have no idea of programming what so ever

I just think about i2c rotation because it seems easy to debug and to port from linux

Today I bought the Jot Pro for my Yoga 500, which is capacitive only

What is the recommended apps for sketching and note-taking non Wacom?

Pls join this, I have no idea about macOS kext. Other device like webcam and bluetooth or wifi,  like you said, are worthless to port, because it is too complex. Pls join the i2c-rotation project I have created https://github.com/sonvirgo/i2c-rotation/blob/master/README.md

I'm reading some distros of Linux have touch support for Surface Pro 4 via a new kernel with the IPTS driver included.

Any idea if this would help with hackintosh? Or is it the same Intel CamPlg port?

https://github.com/ipts-linux-org/ipts-linux-new/wiki

Sorry that is impossible for me lol :blush:

So guys here is a little update, i am going to China next 3 weeks, as you might know, everything is blocked in China, Google, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat and i think this forum is also blocked lol, i got some vpn services in handy, but i am not sure they'll work or not. please email me if you got any enquirers

As always, thanks for all your support.

Sorry that is impossible for me lol :blush:

So guys here is a little update, i am going to China next 3 weeks, as you might know, everything is blocked in China, Google, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat and i think this forum is also blocked lol, i got some vpn services in handy, but i am not sure they'll work or not. please email me if you got any enquirers

As always, thanks for all your support.

Are you going back to your hometown for the Spring Festival? Are you also a small partner from China? Ha ha ha

Hi cydia2020,

Thanks to your guide, I was able to get El Capitan installed on my Surface Book working [nearly] flawlessly. 

In your video, you mentioned the Surface Dock ethernet not working. I have the brick version of the dock and I can confirm that the ethernet isn't detected; whereas, on my Surface Pro 3 Hackintosh it works fine.

Do you have any recommendations on getting trackpad gestures and/or scrolling working?

post-1553702-0-04438300-1484029472_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi cydia2020,

Thanks to your guide, I was able to get El Capitan installed on my Surface Book working [nearly] flawlessly. 

In your video, you mentioned the Surface Dock ethernet not working. I have the brick version of the dock and I can confirm that the ethernet isn't detected; whereas, on my Surface Pro 3 Hackintosh it works fine.

Do you have any recommendations on getting trackpad gestures and/or scrolling working?

Hi mate, unfortunately, there's currently no way to get the trackpad gesture to work.

Thanks

Hi,

first, thanks for the great guide.

I inntalled OS X on my Surface Book and it works fine BUT it runs extremely slow.

The installation was very slow too.

I installed it on an external SSD, so it should be very fast, but it feels like it runs on a USB 1.0 thumb drive lol.

Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

Do I have to do anything in order to use the full speed of USB 3.0?

Hi,

first, thanks for the great guide.

I inntalled OS X on my Surface Book and it works fine BUT it runs extremely slow.

The installation was very slow too.

I installed it on an external SSD, so it should be very fast, but it feels like it runs on a USB 1.0 thumb drive lol.

Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

Do I have to do anything in order to use the full speed of USB 3.0?

Hi Yasin38

Is that the system runs very slow or is the usb is very slow?

Thanks

Hi Yasin38

Is that the system runs very slow or is the usb is very slow?

Thanks

Actually, I don't really know. I think that the system runs very slow.

I am currently at work, when I'm at home I will test the USB speed and then I will write here again.

System runs very slow. I have connected another USB 3.0 device, copied a file from it to the desktop on macOS, the file is being read quiet fastly from the other USB HD, but it is being processed very slowly so it isn't the USB kext or something like this which is limiting the speed.

The external SSD macOS is installed on shouldn't be the problem I think. On Windows it is very fast.

Do you have any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks!

System runs very slow. I have connected another USB 3.0 device, copied a file from it to the desktop on macOS, the file is being read quiet fastly from the other USB HD, but it is being processed very slowly so it isn't the USB kext or something like this which is limiting the speed.

The external SSD macOS is installed on shouldn't be the problem I think. On Windows it writes with speeds over 300MB per second and reads with speeds over 1GB per second.

Do you have any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks!

Hi mate

Did you install the graphics fix? How many mb of display memory are there?

thanks

Hi mate

Did you install the graphics fix? How many mb of display memory are there?

thanks

Hi,

yes, I did. There's around 1,5GB of Graphics memory, so this shouldn't be the problem. The only problem I have with graphics is the glitching left top corner, although I selected sRGB as the color profile. But this isn't a huge problem, the bigger problem is the performance which is extremely bad right now :D

Thank you

Hi,

yes, I did. There's around 1,5GB of Graphics memory, so this shouldn't be the problem. The only problem I have with graphics is the glitching left top corner, although I selected sRGB as the color profile. But this isn't a huge problem, the bigger problem is the performance which is extremely bad right now :D

Thank you

Yeah, I have seen the performance problem regarding to the graphics driver. What NVMe drive are you using? Is it the samsung one or the Toshiba one?

Thanks