El Capitan UEFI Clover on Sony Vaio S

johnrey

152 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2018 at 10:22 AM, spyroskor said:

Hi guys,

As I have already reported before, I had a successful installation of El Capitan, later upgraded to Sierra macOS 10.12.6 (Sony Vaio SVS13A1S9ES , 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD and replaced DVD player with a caddy for SSD and installed 128GD SSD, replaced original PCIe WiFI/Bluetooth half-mini card with AzureWave AW-CE123H, installed OS X/macOS onto 128GB SSD). With the proper modifications (reported on a comment above following the instructions posted by the guy of the original article) everything was working fine for months.

Suddenly, 2 to 3 days ago, at some point I closed the lid of the laptop (something that I had done dozens of times before) to go away and continue my work later. When I got back and opened the lid, the screen was black (normal) and I pressed the right arrow to get the display on again. NOTHING happened! No matter what I did it kept being black. So, I long-pressed the power button to turn the laptop off and try again. The bootloader Clover loaded fine and I selected Sierra for booting. The system started booting, the little apple logo appeared and withing 2 or 3 seconds, while on first stage (the progress line started filling up) the screen started dimming until it was completely black! The system continued booting (I could see the disk light flickering) and continued like that for a long time, but the display never got alive. The system continued "booting" until I got tired and powered off the system again to try again.

I pressed several key combinations (Fn + Prt Sc, Fn + Pause, Fn + F6, Fn + Insert, etc) trying to control the brightness, but nothing changed.

I tried power off and power on several times but it kept doing the same thing. Starts booting, gets into the firsts stage, displays apple logo and progress line and then the screen dims until it becomes black.

The strange thing is that it does the same thing even when I try to boot from external Sierra 10.12.6 cloned USB disks. The same happens not only with cloned Sierra external USB disk, but with an older El Capitan cloned USB external disk!

I am stuck!

Anybody has any idea of what happen? or how I can fix it, short of reinstalling El Capitan as per original article and go through the whole ordeal again?

UPDATE June 25, 2018

EMERGENCY brightness solution (screen dimming during first stage boot)

1. Connect an external monitor or TV through the laptop's HDMI port.
  2. Boot the system up and login. You will not probably see the login prompt but it's OK, just type in your password and press Enter. The system will boot into the normal macOS desktop. You'll have to wait for some time and press the mouse (it's better if you connect an external mouse) until you get the cursor shown on the screen.
  3. To see the dock you must take the cursor to the bottom of the screen and juggle it up and down. Then the dock will appear. The other thing you'll notice is that you cannot see the Finder window opening when you press on the icon on the dock. You must right-click on the Finder icon and select "All Desktops". Do the same for Safari, or other Applications.
  4. Run Clover Configurator
  5. Mount EFI partition
  6. Using Finder go to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other
  7. Copy ACPIBacklight.kext to your home directory (for safekeeping in case it's needed again)
  8. Delete (move to Trash) the kext ACPIBacklight.kext
  9. Unmount EFI partition 

Reboot

Pretty old issue, here is the fix: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-laptop-backlight-control-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

You'll have to remake the DSDT as before but without the PNLF patch. And follow the guide as is (the AppleBrightnessInjector kext, the Clover patch, the PNLF SSDT, and that's it).

• 2 years later...