Gartner: Apple should quit hardware business

Alessandro17

9 posts in this topic

he makes a good point, but i doubt it'll happen. it would require more hardware standardization than the PC market has to keep apple's software as cutting edge as it is. otherwise, OSX would fall into the windows trap of too many bases to cover. dedicated hardware is part of what makes OSX so strong

however, if PC hardware was standardized to just a few mobos, processors, ram speeds and SATA drives, it could become feasable

I don't believe it for a minute.

Think of the opportunities Apple could have (hardware-wise) if they are even half the size of Dell: They'd be HUGE! sure they need a lot more product lines for all types of consumers, but they're getting there.

They don't need Dell to gain 20% market share. They just need Intel. Oh, and the more Macs they sell, the more will be wanted, the more money Intel makes. And they're also making money from technologies like EFI and TPM.

Licensing the OS... that's another story, one that in a few years MIGHT be a possibility, but they would never drop out of the hardware business.

There's a much larger purpose to the computer that the world is discovering: Multi-media in all it's broadband, HD, portable goodness. The iPod was the beginning, and the whole computer industry is becoming more and more media-centric. Macs do this best, and Apple could be the company everyone wants a piece of in the future. If they can turn around and repeat their iPod success with other markets, they'll have consumers around the globe in their back pocket.

That's all i'll say... think about it!

-Urby

Ha! That's pretty funny. I'm a Dell and PC fan but come on, Apple is going to give all their hardware licensing and lose millions of dollars to Dell. That's just funny. However, it would be cool if Apple would like Mac OS 10.5 legally and officialy supported on Intel and AMD Dell PCs, more people will buy Dells and more people will buy Leopard and real macs.

That article is {censored}.

Apple is growing. It is having some of its best growth EVER.

It is doing something right. It doesn't have to change course.

Besides, it makes money on hardware. Dell has to sell 5 computers to make the same profit as Apple does on one. There is no point going down that road.

Apple is Porsche, Dell is GM/Chevrolet. Which company's stock would you buy right now?

Licensing the OS... that's another story, one that in a few years MIGHT be a possibility, but they would never drop out of the hardware business.

There's a much larger purpose to the computer that the world is discovering: Multi-media in all it's broadband, HD, portable goodness. The iPod was the beginning, and the whole computer industry is becoming more and more media-centric. Macs do this best, and Apple could be the company everyone wants a piece of in the future. If they can turn around and repeat their iPod success with other markets, they'll have consumers around the globe in their back pocket.

I second that. By *also* licensing OS X to Dell (or HP), I don't believe Apple would sell fewer computers. But they would sell a lot more copies of OS X and, in the long run, more Macs.

A win-win situation for everybody: if you want the whole Mac experience you buy a Mac, if you just want to run OS X, you buy Dell with OS X.

• 2 weeks later...