[Guide] 10.10 On the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

341 posts in this topic

Thx very much for the guide :)

I've tried following the instruction and installed OSX on the surface pro 3, and it works like a charm except for the sleep problem.

Today I've extracted the clean dsdt and imposed battery patch and couple a few patches to tested the sleep problem , seems like it have already resolved, bettery status looks okay with the new dsdt though.

The following link is the patched dsdt file I have right now.

dropbox

But still one thing get me really frustrated, my menu bar looks quite werid even I did changed the color profile and have 9mb framebuffer patched, don't know if this issue is being resolved or not(not even menu bar, quite a lot of buttons don't have a visible icon inside either).

%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%

picture link 

Any information will be really appreciated, thanks LonelyTv for this great post and everybody who have dedicated so much time to look into the issues, this really made my surface pro 3 as a usable device to take out for work.

Thx very much for the guide :)

I've tried following the instruction and installed OSX on the surface pro 3, and it works like a charm except for the sleep problem.

Today I've extracted the clean dsdt and imposed battery patch and couple a few patches to tested the sleep problem , seems like it have already resolved, bettery status looks okay with the new dsdt though.

The following link is the patched dsdt file I have right now.

dropbox

But still one thing get me really frustrated, my menu bar looks quite werid even I did changed the color profile and have 9mb framebuffer patched, don't know if this issue is being resolved or not(not even menu bar, quite a lot of buttons don't have a visible icon inside either).

%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%

picture link 

Any information will be really appreciated, thanks LonelyTv for this great post and everybody who have dedicated so much time to look into the issues, this really made my surface pro 3 as a usable device to take out for work.

What do I do with the dsdt file you attached? Where do I put it? Thanks for clearing up the sleep issue, it was really hurting my work flow before! Also what resolution are you using?

You can back up the old dsdt file in your clover acpi patched folder, and replace with this one.

if you use Clove COnfiguration it should be 

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml

you can do like so:

cp /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml ~/dsdt.aml

cp ~/Downloads/dsdt.aml /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml

P.S.: ~/Downloads/dsdt.aml should be the file downloaded.

I get a clean dsdt from clover and patched it with github's battery patch, in together with HPET and LPC patch. So sleep should work as expected,tested with 'pmset sleepnow' for a few times, and it wakes up as normal, but just curious if any way we can get hardware button to work(currently power button doesn't work, can't find how to solve that either by hardware key mapping or something alike).

Also Volume button up/down not working so, so do type-cover closed/open event.

For resolution I used 1280*854(HiDPI), it looks good, nearly as my working machine(rMBP 15 inch). Hopefully we can get 2880 * 1900 so we can get something like 1440 * 900.

eminarcissus - Thank you very much for patching the DSDT!! Sleep works now, this really make the sp3 usable.

Just notice a bug: if you shows the battery icon in the menubar, you will find that the battery will become unrecognized and then recognized again every 40s (keep looping like this). But It's not the case before using your dsdt. Maybe there is an errors in the battery patch?

eminarcissus - Thank you very much for patching the DSDT!! Sleep works now, this really make the sp3 usable.

Just notice a bug: if you shows the battery icon in the menubar, you will find that the battery will become unrecognized and then recognized again every 40s (keep looping like this). But It's not the case before using your dsdt. Maybe there is an errors in the battery patch?

Not quite sure yet, if you see my screenshot you can notice I have a lot of problems with display of menu bar, battery icon is not even shown on my menu bar, so I need to find out a solution to that first.

Should have been fixed, just re-download it and replace the file should fix the bug.

Not quite sure yet, if you see my screenshot you can notice I have a lot of problems with display of menu bar, battery icon is not even shown on my menu bar, so I need to find out a solution to that first.

Should have been fixed, just re-download it and replace the file should fix the bug.

Thanks man!

I haven't experience this kind of icon missing. It is weird. In my desktop the translucent effect is enabled, but graphic glitches appears randomly.

You can back up the old dsdt file in your clover acpi patched folder, and replace with this one.

if you use Clove COnfiguration it should be 

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml

you can do like so:

cp /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml ~/dsdt.aml

cp ~/Downloads/dsdt.aml /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml

P.S.: ~/Downloads/dsdt.aml should be the file downloaded.

I get a clean dsdt from clover and patched it with github's battery patch, in together with HPET and LPC patch. So sleep should work as expected,tested with 'pmset sleepnow' for a few times, and it wakes up as normal, but just curious if any way we can get hardware button to work(currently power button doesn't work, can't find how to solve that either by hardware key mapping or something alike).

Also Volume button up/down not working so, so do type-cover closed/open event.

For resolution I used 1280*854(HiDPI), it looks good, nearly as my working machine(rMBP 15 inch). Hopefully we can get 2880 * 1900 so we can get something like 1440 * 900.

Thanks so much for this! Sleep mode works perfectly!

How do I get 1280*854 (HiDPI)? I can only seem to get 1080*720 (HiDPI) but no other aspect ratio. Any idea? I have SwitchResX

Yea great, I tried to change the resolution of the mac in SwitchResX to 1280*854 but I guess I accidentally put the refresh rate at 120hz and now my screen is black. I tried rebooting the surface and when I get to the mac os login it looks okay but when I log in the screen goes black. Anyone know how to revert back to the regular resolution? I can't seem to boot up safe mode through clover either! UGH! Can someone help me? Much appreciated.

EDIT: Got it working again!

I still can't seem to make custom HiDPI resolutions. The only HiDPI options I have available to me through ResX and Resolution Tab are 1280*800 1080*720 and a couple of lower aspect ratios. Is there a way for me to make custom ones? I followed the link you attached eminarcissus but I don't seem to still be able to change my resolution. Any advice?

Thanks

Sound should be easily patched to use AppleHDA for ALC288 [update proof] - based on present configs

Inject layout 3 using CLOVER or in your DSDT, use binary patch from KextsToPatch section and just copy the AppleHDA288.kext [dont' touch the original AppleHDA]

just rebuild, and restart [if problems, may required two restarts or manually load appehda288, then rebuild and restart]

http://vladichimescu.me/consultant/SurfacePro3/project

Also, I do mention that sound works native with the dock and clear [although sometimes starting a bit later]

Yea great, I tried to change the resolution of the mac in SwitchResX to 1280*854 but I guess I accidentally put the refresh rate at 120hz and now my screen is black. I tried rebooting the surface and when I get to the mac os login it looks okay but when I log in the screen goes black. Anyone know how to revert back to the regular resolution? I can't seem to boot up safe mode through clover either! UGH! Can someone help me? Much appreciated.

EDIT: Got it working again!

I still can't seem to make custom HiDPI resolutions. The only HiDPI options I have available to me through ResX and Resolution Tab are 1280*800 1080*720 and a couple of lower aspect ratios. Is there a way for me to make custom ones? I followed the link you attached eminarcissus but I don't seem to still be able to change my resolution. Any advice?

Thanks

I don't use ResX so I don't know what it does, indeed the link I referred it did replace a display profile which defines how your monitor can handles the resolution. After you replace the text to the link, it should automatically re-adjust your resolution to 2560 * 1700 or if you have HiDPI enabled you should have 1280 * 854 with hiDPI enabled.

Sound should be easily patched to use AppleHDA for ALC288 [update proof] - based on present configs

Inject layout 3 using CLOVER or in your DSDT, use binary patch from KextsToPatch section and just copy the AppleHDA288.kext [dont' touch the original AppleHDA]

just rebuild, and restart [if problems, may required two restarts or manually load appehda288, then rebuild and restart]

http://vladichimescu.me/consultant/SurfacePro3/project

Also, I do mention that sound works native with the dock and clear [although sometimes starting a bit later]

Hi Vladichimescu,

I've edited the CLOVER configuration and use kext utility to installed the applehda288, also I've removed VoodooHDA.kext from kext inject to test the result, but after reboots I found the sound driver seems didn't loaded, and I did manually load AppleHDA288 from /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA288.kext, it told me /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA288.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Is there anything I missed here?

check about mac > audio, should say layout 3 - if you injected correctly [because you're saying layout 3 in clover but layout 28 in DSDT I think]

if still an issue, just check the Contents of AppleHDA288

should be

- Info.plist 

- Resources [layout 3 and platforms]

- MacOS/AppleHDA [here AppleHDA is just a symbolic link/shortcut to S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA] - sometimes during zip/unzip this becomes a file rather than link, so just recreate it

I will also upload all dumps to http://vladichimescu.me/consultant/SurfacePro3/project/

support is only coding as I've sent my surface pro 3 away

Also, do keep in mind that sound patching is based also on HPET, and sometimes can be improved [the poping and those kind using IPIC]

So, unless you use patching in DSDT, you should enable in CLOVER: DTGP, HPET, IPIC, SBUS

check about mac > audio, should say layout 3 - if you injected correctly [because you're saying layout 3 in clover but layout 28 in DSDT I think]

if still an issue, just check the Contents of AppleHDA288

should be

- Info.plist 

- Resources [layout 3 and platforms]

- MacOS/AppleHDA [here AppleHDA is just a symbolic link/shortcut to S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA] - sometimes during zip/unzip this becomes a file rather than link, so just recreate it

I will also upload all dumps to http://vladichimescu.me/consultant/SurfacePro3/project/

support is only coding as I've sent my surface pro 3 away

Also, do keep in mind that sound patching is based also on HPET, and sometimes can be improved [the poping and those kind using IPIC]

So, unless you use patching in DSDT, you should enable in CLOVER: DTGP, HPET, IPIC, SBUS

After fix the link and removed clover dsdt masks, system information have audio devices now, but sound preferences cannot find a output or input device, weird.

P.S.: Also one question, I didn't found the codec id in DPCIManager, where did you get the correct codec id? Linux Live CD?

this just started happening today.  after rebooting windows, my clover boot loader doesn't load.  when i log into my mac(with pen drive) to see the efi>windows folder.   I now see bootmgfw-orig and a newly created (im guessing by windows) bootmgfw.  the BOOTX64 is also still there.  and too fix the issue.  I delete the old bootmgfw-orig.  name the newly created bootmgfw in to the bootmgfw-orig and leave the BOOTX64 alone.  save, unmounts, reboot.  and if I log into windows and reboot, the clover bootloader still doesn't come up.  and when logging back into osx and mount efi... its the same situation all over again.

I guess my question is.  why is this happening now.  ive had this version of osx in for awhile and never ran into this issue.  the only thing I changed... was fixing sleep by replacing the dsdt.aml file

let me know if anyone can help.

thank you

this just started happening today.  after rebooting windows, my clover boot loader doesn't load.  when i log into my mac(with pen drive) to see the efi>windows folder.   I now see bootmgfw-orig and a newly created (im guessing by windows) bootmgfw.  the BOOTX64 is also still there.  and too fix the issue.  I delete the old bootmgfw-orig.  name the newly created bootmgfw in to the bootmgfw-orig and leave the BOOTX64 alone.  save, unmounts, reboot.  and if I log into windows and reboot, the clover bootloader still doesn't come up.  and when logging back into osx and mount efi... its the same situation all over again.

I guess my question is.  why is this happening now.  ive had this version of osx in for awhile and never ran into this issue.  the only thing I changed... was fixing sleep by replacing the dsdt.aml file

let me know if anyone can help.

thank you

I see this issue happened couple days ago ,replace the old dsdt won't help, looks like is caused by windows update.

Now the trick using bootmgfw-orig.efi under Microsoft\Boot\ cannot boot up anymore after the update.

I did replace BOOT\Bootx64.efi with clover one and rewrite a new boot entry to start the windows from BOOT\BootX64_bak.efi and boot OSX from the OSX volume, now everything works as usual.

@eminarcissus

I think that the hardwareconfig does not get loaded correctly on yours, did you do all steps I described ? also concerning HPET and IPIC in CLOVER

the audio pathmap should be refactored as:

http://vladichimescu.me/consultant/SurfacePro3/project/dump_surfacePro3/Surface_Pro_3/Surface_Pro_3-codec_0-Realtek_ALC288-verbit.txt

Hi

First of all great tutorial and thanks ....now i have a mac on my surface with wifi, through external dongle......!!!! ;-)

My only issue is with the type cover.... I am not sure if i should change the original section or copy and paste it

below....I tried the later and the installation crashed on reboot.... Can someone upload his working version?

Thanks