[Guide] 10.10 On the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

341 posts in this topic

Same here, fix the ownership and loadkext results in an immediate restart... :(

Heya richard.  I had the same problem.  you can't run this kext on 10.10 you have to upgrade to 10.11 before it'll work/not KP.  i'm running it now and it works well enough for daily use.  as a side note; 10.11.4 runs better than 10.10.x  i have zero graphics artefacts and the usb3 support is much better. (my two big gripes with 10.10)

@anyone

Has anyone managed to get the HW volume buttons working at all?  if not, has anyone seen mention of them working on SP1 or SP2?

• 2 weeks later...

Heya richard.  I had the same problem.  you can't run this kext on 10.10 you have to upgrade to 10.11 before it'll work/not KP.  i'm running it now and it works well enough for daily use.  as a side note; 10.11.4 runs better than 10.10.x  i have zero graphics artefacts and the usb3 support is much better. (my two big gripes with 10.10)

@anyone

Has anyone managed to get the HW volume buttons working at all?  if not, has anyone seen mention of them working on SP1 or SP2?

Could you explain us how did you make the upgrade 10.10 to 10.11 step by step? What happen with the cameras in 10.11? Does the sdcard slot works properly? Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Could you explain us how did you make the upgrade 10.10 to 10.11 step by step? What happen with the cameras in 10.11? Does the sdcard slot works properly? Thank you :)

You need to use the files from panjunwen, search him in this thread

I really want to try this on my Surface Pro 3, but is wifi still not working?

I have no idea why M$ selected Marvell chip for Surface line, it is not likely to solve forever

However, you can purchase a wifi dongle as alternate solution

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone.
Firstly excuse me first for my English is not perfect.
I thank all the players in this great work.
I installed and everything works Yosemite including iMessage and FaceTime. Wifi Bluetooh and also with appropriate keys.
By cons there are some small points to be corrected:
- The sound is not loud enough. I installed BOOM 2 but its too spits.
- Sleep mode works but the battery icon malfunctioning
- Automatic brightness does not work all the time.
- The audio jack is not working.

Do you please a solution for these four points.

Thank you in advance

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

some updates regarding installing of Sierra (macos 10.12). It worked great. What you need to do , is update clover to its latest version, then using efi mounter load your efi partition, create a new folder in the kexts main directory, call it 10.12 , copy all kexts from the 10.11 or 10.10 folder to it. 

Proceed with updating to sierra from the app store (will download and prepare the update) . At first restart into clover, you'll notice two mac drives, one is boot install drive, start the installer with injected kexts . It'll install and you're done with it 

• 3 weeks later...

some updates regarding installing of Sierra (macos 10.12). It worked great. What you need to do , is update clover to its latest version, then using efi mounter load your efi partition, create a new folder in the kexts main directory, call it 10.12 , copy all kexts from the 10.11 or 10.10 folder to it. 

Proceed with updating to sierra from the app store (will download and prepare the update) . At first restart into clover, you'll notice two mac drives, one is boot install drive, start the installer with injected kexts . It'll install and you're done with it

Having problem upgrading to Sierra on my SP3 here

Can't install from both macOS drive、USB

Can you provide your Clover information?

Diver64UEFI

Kexts

Clover version

Dual boot or not

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

I haven't gone to Sierra yet but did take a bit of time to add better multitouch support into the VoodooI2C driver previously mentioned.  On 10.11.6 only bits not working are hardware buttons and sensor hub(gyroscope, compass etc) and the wifi/bluetooth(use a usb).  My sdcard, touchscreen(multitouch), battery(using a dsdt patch I upstreamed to Rehabman's).  I was going to look more into updating the typecover kext to proper 2 finger scrolling but, came across karabiner which has a load of alt options so I use the hold alt while trackpad-ing to scroll horizontal or vertical.  Hopefully anyone looking to venture this far into their sp3 finds this as its running pretty solid here.  Check the other threads for a link to that multitouch screen driver.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Given the current scenario, does a Surface Pro 3 have greater support for OSX work arounds than Surface Pro 4? 

I believe so, yes.  

Its alot easier to mention what doesn't work rather than what works but I'll highlight a few newer SP3 OSX development items.

On 10.11.6 what doesn't work:

- Onboard Wifi

- Onboard Bluetooth (uses a combo Marvell firmware image)

- TypeCover Multitouch (2-finger scroll etc - Work around using Karabiner hold alt to scroll etc.)

- Video Out (not tested, might work.  Would be relatively easy to do a proper dsdt patch for the video but would dep on i5,i7)

- OnBoard Sensors (Accelerometer, Gyro, Compass - Might be able to dump the raw values using i2cdump as the devices are enumerated)

Recent Development:

- I'd recently implemented multitouch support on OSX using VoodooI2C and it works decent with room for improvement.

- I submitted a SP3 battery patch to Rehabman's DSDT patch git repo which works with random short disconnects.  Think that might be a power management issue or could be fixed w/ the ACPIBattery.kext source.

- I've got ACPI events working for the volume rocker and power hardware buttons along with the Windows screen button and lid events.  Suspect either Apple's acpi driver isn't properly initializing i2c resources and so rebooting from an OS that does initialize the devices sustains them across warm reboots etc.  Setting up the Windows bootloader to manage the initial boot process seems to fix this as it boots into Windows before rebooting into your OS selection.  Also gives you brief touch screen bootloader options.  On the i7 SP3, the latest firmware also seems to support on screen keyboard that can be accessed via fw bootloaders.  So Grub's gfx mode and also Clover can show a keyboard icon in the corner allowing you to arrow key to your boot selection.

- Digging thru some other OSX install guides, I'd discovered Karabiner which allows for hotkey shortcut defs and works in 10.11.  I use it for alt-trackpad scrolling atm but sure other things could be quite useful too.

I'm relatively pleased with the current state of things and the issues left are minimal and relatively daunting tasks that I don't forsee having time to work towards.  There are a few speed up fixes that I've got in the works for the touch screen multitouch though.

Compared to the SP4 current state, I think the SP3 is a bit more polished.  There are other 2-in-1 tablets that have full support and/or allow you to swap out the wifi/bluetooth card but, I've no regrets and use OSX on it much more than windows lately. 

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5pY1koCM0Msa3F0QXdpbzBYYWc

https://github.com/naterh/VoodooI2C/tree/sp3-multitouch

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Keyboard

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am new to this. But after almost a week of trying, I now get a dual boot Mac OS 10.12.4 and Windows 10 on my surface pro 3 i7 256 gb hdd 16 gb ram. 

I am very happy and specially thanks to the hackintosh community. 

The wifi, bluetooth, trackpad, touch screen are not working, but can be replaced by USB adapter.

I am looking for Wifi + Bluetooth combo USB adapter on amazon Japan, but it seems there isn't for Mac. Most are for windows. don't know why. 

Sound Driver (VooDooHDA.kext) is not stable, I lost sound everytime I restart computer, so I have to Reset in Clover Options on start up. It is ok for me now.

Sound is still small even though I try to set fixHalfVolumn to true...

However, the best thing is that the back side of surface is not hot at all and the battery life seems to be much longer. On Windows OS, the surface is extremely hot and short life battery. 

On Windows OS, CPU is said 1.7 GHz.

On Mac OS, CPU is said 2.2 GHZ

Now I have a Mac, Window, Tablet 3-in-1 and very happy!

Thanks again

I haven't gone to Sierra yet but did take a bit of time to add better multitouch support into the VoodooI2C driver previously mentioned.  On 10.11.6 only bits not working are hardware buttons and sensor hub(gyroscope, compass etc) and the wifi/bluetooth(use a usb).  My sdcard, touchscreen(multitouch), battery(using a dsdt patch I upstreamed to Rehabman's).  I was going to look more into updating the typecover kext to proper 2 finger scrolling but, came across karabiner which has a load of alt options so I use the hold alt while trackpad-ing to scroll horizontal or vertical.  Hopefully anyone looking to venture this far into their sp3 finds this as its running pretty solid here.  Check the other threads for a link to that multitouch screen driver.

Cheers!

have you tried http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299021-macosx-on-the-surface-pro-3/page-8?do=findComment&comment=2113965

• 2 years later...

Hi 

ive got this Running on Mojave, has anyone got rid of the Graphical Glitches? or anything we can tweak? i found that theres no glitches running on 1660x1086 

but when i switch to HiDPI i start to get glitches and Artifacts 

is there anything can be done for this?