[Guide] 10.10 On the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

341 posts in this topic

I made all partitions visible and there is a system partition, however even after installing clover to the OS X partition there was no clover EFI folder only microsoft stuff (see picture).  I added the clover folder from the install USB to the original SYSTEM partition thinking this would do the trick but it did not work....post-196792-0-83010900-1425143385_thumb.jpgpost-196792-0-31372200-1425143559_thumb.jpg

just to be a bit more clear I have disk0 (the windows disk) that one has the EFI (SYSTEM) partition, disk1 (OS X) after installing clover does not have an EFI partition...

Just tried the last part of this for the Apple logo - It's fixed the logo but still glitchy in parts.

Haven't tried the rest yet since I think the SP3 doesn't have an HD4400? Will have a go later, and see what happens :P

HD4400 shows up in About this Mac - definitely going to try the rest :)

Inspected the injected kexts - all the changes in the guide are applied.

Would probably be better to move to Clover config.plist though.

Since you can inject the values there and use stock OS X then - which should make the process easier

*Also: Still no fix for sleep crash? Can someone else check if this is a bug - pretty sure it is*

I've been working today on getting a clean DSDT / SSDT dumped from the Surface Pro 3 to replace the ones in the tutorial that are from a Surface Pro 2. I'm thinking this will be the first step to getting sleep working properly.

And yes, I agree that we should use Clover to patch the graphic KEXTs to preserve them from updates. I'm working on that as well: Cleaning up the config.plist.

However, studying for midterms is taking over most of my work for the day.

I've been working today on getting a clean DSDT / SSDT dumped from the Surface Pro 3 to replace the ones in the tutorial that are from a Surface Pro 2. I'm thinking this will be the first step to getting sleep working properly.

And yes, I agree that we should use Clover to patch the graphic KEXTs to preserve them from updates. I'm working on that as well: Cleaning up the config.plist.

_PTS and _WAK on the Surface Pro 3 are very similar to the Dell Venue 11 Pro. I managed to get the system to stop crashing with USB (your best bet is to patch the DSDT for working AppleUSBXHCI and ditch GenericUSBXHCI) and everything working except the display - it simply stayed off. Unfortunately I've lost the DSDT I used for it but it did involve some fiddling around (make sure OSYS is set for Darwin) and try setting different values of darkwake in Clover. Also ensure that hibernation mode is set to 0.

Do you already have the dsdt and ssdts or should I give you mine?

I could use yours, I haven't had time to dump them.

I've tried to clean them up as much as I could.

Using this patch you can get the battery to function.

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/battery/battery_Surface-Pro-v3.txt

And with this one you can remove the need for GenericUSBXHCI.kext it also seems to make reconnecting the cover a lot quicker.

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/usb/usb_7-series.txt

And adding this to config.plist inside SystemParameters near the end will stop the need to choose to boot with kext injection

<key>InjectKexts</key>

<true/>

dsdt.zip

thanks for the tutorial.  I spoke with you yesterday but I thought Id ask everyone as well.  I just have a couple questions

1.  after installing clover on the OSX partitioned drive, I loss the ability to boot into windows, as the option disappears in the clover bootloader

2.  since I don't see Bluetooth or wifi working anyime soon.  any particular device you use or can recommend me buying.  I have a "cable matter" usb 3.0 to gigabit Ethernet.    but after I install the drivers, it see's the device.  It just says its not connected.  so im internetless right now in Yosemite 10.10.2

thank again too LonelyTV for the tutorial and the help after you wrote it.  LonelyTV is busy with midterms and I know how that is.  if anyone else can help me out too, that would be very appreciated

thank you in advance

thanks for the tutorial.  I spoke with you yesterday but I thought Id ask everyone as well.  I just have a couple questions

1.  after installing clover on the OSX partitioned drive, I loss the ability to boot into windows, as the option disappears in the clover bootloader

2.  since I don't see Bluetooth or wifi working anyime soon.  any particular device you use or can recommend me buying.  I have a "cable matter" usb 3.0 to gigabit Ethernet.    but after I install the drivers, it see's the device.  It just says its not connected.  so im internetless right now in Yosemite 10.10.2

thank again too LonelyTV for the tutorial and the help after you wrote it.  LonelyTV is busy with midterms and I know how that is.  if anyone else can help me out too, that would be very appreciated

thank you in advance

Hi

for 1. did you try http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299021-109-on-the-surface-pro-3/?p=2116256

for 2. http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/119285-mavericks-10-9-1-mini-usb-wifi-dongle.html

gkarg

• Like 1

gkarg,

thank you so much.

1.  worked like a charm.  happy to say i can boot without needing the  usb drive

2.  started with yours but I'm going to try to go the A/C route with - Edimax EW-7822UAC AC1200 Dual-Band USB3.0 Adapter.   I've read people have had successs with it.  hopefully i can get it too work.

im also going to try the iogear bluetooth 4.0 usb micro adapter (GBU521) for my bluetooth mouse.

thanks for all the help.  

oh,  any reason FaceTime won't work?

i get this prompt  

FaceTime wants to use your confidential information stored in "IDS: (myemail)-authToken" in your keychain

do you want to allow access to this item?

the 3 options are "always allow" "Deny" "Allow"  and no matter what you choose it just logs me out

not a big deal, just cool if it worked.  let me know when you have a chance, and again, thank you so much for the assistance.

I'm writing this with my surface pr0 3 running OS X.  its pretty great!

Thank you for this amazing guide, I'm pretty new to this stuff and, surprisingly, almost everything worked on the first try :)

The one thing that doesn't quite is the multiboot without USB. I followed the steps in the guide to get it to work, and it does, but only as long as I don't boot into Windows. When I do, the Microsoft folder in /SYSTEM/EFI/ seems to reset, so when I reboot it doesn't boot into Clover but Windows instead. I have to boot into OS X from USB and follow the tutorial again after every time I boot into Windows. Anyone know why that happens?

Also, I contacted Touchbase about the touchscreen drivers, and they said they hope to have them out within the next three months.

@tranceceiver I installed the update, as far as I can tell everything works just the same. Only the kext to get the Type Cover working had to be installed again

just an update.

The edimax wireless AC worked perfectly after installing this driver - http://support.edimax.us/download/drivers/MAC/Wlan_11ac_USB_MacOS10.9_MacOS10.10_Driver_v1034_UI_2.2.9.zip

The iogear Bluetooth adaptor also worked after running the continuity app while plugged in.

So it's pretty nice having everything working (for the most part)

Still no luck with activating FaceTime and iMessage. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know. I tried the tutorial but I get the same error as before. Maybe something too do with 10.10.2

Thanks

Also, I contacted Touchbase about the touchscreen drivers, and they said they hope to have them out within the next three months.

It's not really my place to say this but I think its best as a community that we don't encourage touch-base to develop drivers when they charge such exorbitant prices for them. We should stick to open-source solutions as much as possible. Is anyone seriously willing to pay upwards of $90 for these drivers? In addition to that, they will be breaching GNU licensing agreements by closing source the drivers and charging for them. The linux drivers for the i2c bus and the touchscreen are the only open-source drivers for intel LPSS and i2c devices and they will definitely be porting the work from there.

Stick to my drivers, they are 80% complete (non-functioning at the moment) but they will be free when they are completed and we can work as a community to complete their features. There's no point in accepting closed-source drivers when we can port them perfectly well ourselves. The driver thread is at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304487-i2c-hid-touchscreens-trackpads-and-more/

LonelyTV, do you think you could add this information to the OP? It would be a real shame if people encourage touch-base to create drivers when this is something we can do ourselves. 

Again, I don't mean to impose but I think that it is necessary that we lay out some rules for the new devices (ones with i2c touchscreens such as the SP3, DVP etc). It's a shame no one created USB drivers for the touchscreens on the SP1/SP2 but that doesn't mean we should follow the same path as before.

I will have to agree, I purchased drivers from  them before for a dell touchscreen monitor i use on my iMac , they have bad costumer support, definitely not up to par to the prices they charge... If any donations are needed I will be happy to contribute. 

I would also be happy too help in anyway.  even if its just a donation.  this is truly amazing work and id like too be a part of it.

thanks too everyone involved.  and thanks again LonelyTV.  hopefully your midterms are going well.

I would also be happy too help in anyway.  even if its just a donation.  this is truly amazing work and id like too be a part of it.

thanks too everyone involved.  and thanks again LonelyTV.  hopefully your midterms are going well.

Ha ha, So far so good. Closing in on the last one tomorrow, that I'm going to bomb. But the rest of the week made up for it in near perfect scores.

Graduate work is tough.

On topic, I'm looking into why so many people are having trouble with the last bit of the tutorial. I plan on going through it once more before the end of the week.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I wanted to start out by saying thank you to LonelyTV for creating this amazing walkthrough. I am however having difficulty booting to Windows from Clover. I followed each step carefully and it seems as though I only can access Yosemite now. On my finder in Yosemite I only see the Windows drive but not the mac os partition. It is as if the Mac took over the windows partition. I clicked on boot Windows from SYSTEM, LEGACY HD1 and HD4 to no avail.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Is there a way for me to fix this without losing my Windows install? I cant even get to the recovery options anymore, clover loads up when I hold the down volume button.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

I had the same problem, I followed some suggestions in the other SP3 thread under microsoft... when I used "bootmgfw-orig.efi" it worked.

Hi

did you try:

Open Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition ( Extra > Mount EFI )
or you can manually mount the EFI partion with "sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s2 /mnt/boot" - where disk0s2 should be replaced by your EFI partition disk number and /mnt/boot needs to be replaced by the mount path you like to use - don't forget to create this with - for my example - "sudo mkdir /mnt/boot"). If you don't know your EFI partition disk number, just execute "diskutil list" - it is the one named "EFI SYSTEM"

the you need to cd to your mounted EFI path (for my example "cd /mnt/boot") and execute the following tasks with sudo
sudo mv EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw-orig.efi
sudo cp EFI/CLOVER/Cloverx64.efi EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

or just follow a good guide like:

http://www.insanelym...ionadd-to-bios/

gkarg

I had the same problem, I followed some suggestions in the other SP3 thread under microsoft... when I used "bootmgfw-orig.efi" it worked.

Hi

did you try:

Open Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition ( Extra > Mount EFI )

or you can manually mount the EFI partion with "sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s2 /mnt/boot" - where disk0s2 should be replaced by your EFI partition disk number and /mnt/boot needs to be replaced by the mount path you like to use - don't forget to create this with - for my example - "sudo mkdir /mnt/boot"). If you don't know your EFI partition disk number, just execute "diskutil list" - it is the one named "EFI SYSTEM"

the you need to cd to your mounted EFI path (for my example "cd /mnt/boot") and execute the following tasks with sudo

sudo mv EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw-orig.efi

sudo cp EFI/CLOVER/Cloverx64.efi EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

or just follow a good guide like:

http://www.insanelym...ionadd-to-bios/

gkarg

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I am not sure where to find clover_package.zip though. I have been following the steps on the guide you directed me to but I cant seem to find that file anywhere. I am not sure what exactly I am supposed to be doing :-(

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I am not sure where to find clover_package.zip though. I have been following the steps on the guide you directed me to but I cant seem to find that file anywhere. I am not sure what exactly I am supposed to be doing :-(

Hi

You don't need the zip - and you also don't need the complete guide. Just try the steps in the post - without the linked guide.

So - you just need to mount your EFI partition and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi and copy Cloverx64.efi to bootmgfw.efi.

Gkarg

After installing yosemite, I have had two occasion where I get the blue screen with the following error: Error Code: 0xc0000034 in Windows 8 - Boot Configuration Data file missing required information and something about BCD.  I have to refresh the PC and then windows works again.  Not sure if this has something to do with the way clover changes the boot manager.