Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

Guide updated. Change-log:

• 05/06/2015
    • Updated Graphics fix section to include 16-bit colour gradients issue that happen whenever the display is turned off then on.
    • Updated What works and What doesn't section to represent the current situation of graphics-related problems.
    • Updated config.plist to include the custom EDID for fixing the 16-bit colour gradients issue.

Ahmed pls also make thread when apple will release 10.11 next week

That is so early. Apple will only announce 10.11 but will not release it that soon I believe. At least, we would go through some developer previews and public betas before final release.

Things will be pretty lax on my side if I wanna put the beta version onto my hacks. Simply install it on a real Mac, make an image out of it and restore it onto the hacks. The tricky part is that how kext injection will work

What about win10 evwn that gonna lock secure boot option in bios right

Its the time to show co operates like Microsoft by nit installing their os

Microsoft can't face competition thats why it is doing such cheap tricks instead they should try figuring out how to optimize their os so it not a battery jargon

What about win10 evwn that gonna lock secure boot option in bios right

Its the time to show co operates like Microsoft by nit installing their os

Microsoft can't face competition thats why it is doing such cheap tricks instead they should try figuring out how to optimize their os so it not a battery jargon

Clover is ready for SecureBoot already, so there you have it

• Like 1

Hi,

So I've been experimenting with SSDT's for a couple of weeks. I am keeping all my SSDT's (not dropping them) even the CPU related ones. Don't know if its just me but now i am experiencing better system behavior, the animations/UI feel more snappy. It feels like I am using a fresh installation. The system is fast and more responsive than before.

To all of you who use OS X regularly, try it (keep all SSDT's). See if you can feel any difference.

BTW, DSDT Auto-Patcher already has an option (-k) for keeping all SSDT's. Try it  :)

Hi,

So I've been experimenting with SSDT's for a couple of weeks. I am keeping all my SSDT's (not dropping them) even the CPU related ones. Don't know if its just me but now i am experiencing better system behavior, the animations/UI feel more snappy. It feels like I am using a fresh installation. The system is fast and more responsive than before.

To all of you who use OS X regularly, try it (keep all SSDT's). See if you can feel any difference.

BTW, DSDT Auto-Patcher already has an option (-k) for keeping all SSDT's. Try it  :)

Yea I always had some doubts about the CPU related SSDT that we used to drop. But do you really mean to keep all SSDT's? the option (-k) will not preserve the dynamic SSDT's (at least will not copy them back to compiled folder). Also do you have some measures for performance gain? It's hard to notice differences on my system. Maybe the fact I'm running off an SSD and the system feels very responsive anyway.

@ahmed how you put an ssd will you list the ssd model and hdd caddy model even i want to upgrade to an ssd

For the SSD, I am using Samsung 850 EVO 250GB. There are many options for the caddy but this is the one I bought over eBay. Once you have the parts, open the laptop case and put the SSD in place of the HDD and connect the HDD through the caddy. This configuration will keep the SSD (which will have the OS's) connected all the time and the HDD (for data) can be swapped for 2nd GPU or DVD on demand.

....But do you really mean to keep all SSDT's? the option (-k) will not preserve the dynamic SSDT's (at least will not copy them back to compiled folder).....

Except Dynamic SSDT's.

....Also do you have some measures for performance gain? It's hard to notice differences on my system.....

I tried running Geekbench etc. but everytime i run it the scores are different. So i cannot say for a fact that the method does work. It might or might not be more responsive. No way to know that.

That's why i was asking to use it for a time and feel if there's any difference.

...Maybe the fact I'm running off an SSD and the system feels very responsive anyway.

LOL. Maybe coz i switched from Windows, i think OS X is more responsive. :D

@ahmed how you put an ssd will you list the ssd model and hdd caddy model even i want to upgrade to an ssd

You can search for other SSD's too. There are a lot of them in the market. See what suits you better. And of course don't forget to do some research before you buy it.

After your second part commands I can't boot nowhere anymore. What should I do?

Let's take this slowly step by step. First, confirm that you have Y510p as I am not sure which laptop you have.

Next, what do you mean by second part? This one "2. Preparing a Partition for OS X Yosemite" ?

... i mean EFI partiton thing.

I will assume you mean "3. Increasing EFI Partition Size". So you booted using Windows USB installer and went all the way through the commands? But after that your PC does not boot even to Windows right?

Nope, everything went smoothly. No errors only success etc...

So let's check your situation now. Do the same procedure but from 1 to 6 ONLY then take a picture of the command window and attach it here.