Intel to be Sued by Transmeta

20 posts in this topic

According to AppleInsider, Transmeta have filed a lawsuit against Intel, which could threaten the supply of processors for Macintosh products.

The lawsuit reportedly regards no less than 10 violations of Transmeta's patents covering processor design and power efficiency technologies.

Transmeta are seeking damages, royalty payments, and an injunction preventing Intel from selling infringing processors such as both the Core and Core 2 processors, as found in Apple's current line of Macs, after the two companies failed to agree to licensing terms, according to Transmeta's President and Chief Executive Officer Arthur Swift. AppleInsider:

Nine of the 10 Transmeta patents invoked in the lawsuit cover basic processor functions like scheduling and addressing instructions on the chip, according to InfoWorld. The tenth patent reportedly relates to Transmeta's LongRun technology, which is used to adjust the voltage of the processor, depending on its workload.

If granted, an injunction could prevent further shipments of Intel's Core 2 Duo to Apple, which would halt the roll-out of Core 2 Duo-based MacBook and MacBook Pro systems due a little later this year. It would also freeze production of Apple's other Intel-based systems.

as long as my macbook pro with core2duo (or the quad core) doesn't get pushed back so far that i can't get one by the time i start college, i'll be ok. if it goes longer than that, i'll be very angry ;) (putting it as nicely as possible).

More importantly, this doesn't just affect Macs. This affects the entire PC market! No Core 2 Duos for any line, whether it's HP or Gateway. An entire generation of computers would be affected by this lawsuit.

Fortunately, I doubt that this will phase Intel at all. It's too late in the game to stop production, and the bulk of their profits are still to be made on Core 2 Duos.

I've got 4 words: Out of court settlement. The "little guy" will be content and that's that.

More importantly, this doesn't just affect Macs. This affects the entire PC market! No Core 2 Duos for any line, whether it's HP or Gateway. An entire generation of computers would be affected by this lawsuit.

Fortunately, I doubt that this will phase Intel at all. It's too late in the game to stop production, and the bulk of their profits are still to be made on Core 2 Duos.

I've got 4 words: Out of court settlement. The "little guy" will be content and that's that.

Yea, but alot of those other companys also have AMD in their lineup, so they would not be as severely effected, they'd just push the AMD machienes more, but then again you also have a severely true point that this company will settle out of court and Intel will give them whatever they want because they cant afford to just sit on these chips or redesigne them well having no new cpus out.

greedy :) transmeta

Good

Day for AMD?

If you were a small guy letting a big corp use ur technologys and you couldnt reach an agreement (especially with 10 patents, this isnt just 1 and "In its first nine years of business, Transmeta, in Santa Clara, California, posted $650 million in losses. Last year, Transmeta switched business models and now focuses on licensing its technology.") wouldnt you sue too? and yes this may well be a good day for amd.

It's really not even a small speed bump. Whatever amount of money Transmeta asks for, it'll be infinitesimal compared to Intel's total revenue anyway. It's a small company that isn't doing so well, and by threatening a lawsuit, they can get a few dollars in their pocket via a settlement. In the tech world, this is very common among small and huge companies.

I don't think AMD is going to benefit from this situation. It won't affect Intel's production probably, and nothing drastic will result from this. AMD will continue to slowly but surely gain market-share due to it's own positive assets, rather than due to Intel's lack-thereof.

It's really not even a small speed bump. Whatever amount of money Transmeta asks for, it'll be infinitesimal compared to Intel's total revenue anyway. It's a small company that isn't doing so well, and by threatening a lawsuit, they can get a few dollars in their pocket via a settlement. In the tech world, this is very common among small and huge companies.

I don't think AMD is going to benefit from this situation. It won't affect Intel's production probably, and nothing drastic will result from this. AMD will continue to slowly but surely gain market-share due to it's own positive assets, rather than due to Intel's lack-thereof.

That is quite true... and its not like that small of a company could even truely effect Intel, its more like an annoyance, like gnats.... they dont really do ne thing but bug you...

Frankly, It doesn't really mattter. Sure, it's something to keep an eye on, but I doubt anything big, if anything at all, will be affected by this "threat" (for lack of a better word)

On second thought, this could be the big day for AMD and Apple, for them to push this out, if it's in the making that is.

:) Thats exactly what I forgot to add to my post. Why doesn't Intel just buy Transmeta so they can own their technologies instead of having to pay royalties to them. Intel definately could do it, the question is, will they?

because transmitia is losing $, not making it...

I hope this one won't lead Intel to highly increase the CPU prices. More expensive Apple Hardware is exactly what we don't need.

Is it just too optimistic to think that Apple might consider AMD chips? They have changed suppliers before, anyway.

I hope this one won't lead Intel to highly increase the CPU prices. More expensive Apple Hardware is exactly what we don't need.

Is it just too optimistic to think that Apple might consider AMD chips? They have changed suppliers before, anyway.

If this does have amajor impact they would have to at least consider it, as they definately do not need any more price rises, but at like 48% profit that would still mean it would just cut their earnings... :)

48% profit?! Wow, they almost ask for the hackintosh. :)

48% profit?! Wow, they almost ask for the hackintosh. :)

Im not sure if thats for the macs, but it is for the iPod (ballpark, they dont release the actual #s... i wonder why... ) but id assume that if they mark up iPods that much they would do something similar with the computers (althought it couldnt be that much... but its probobly still alot)

Transmeta* is losing money, so it would be quite a bit easier for Intel to low ball them with a buyout price. Its much harder, expensive, to buy a company that is making money than it is to buy a company in the dire straights that is losing money. If the buy out costs Intel the same if not a little more than a settlement in the long, or short term, then Intel buying Transmeta would be a smart move.