Solution for Qualcomm Atheros AR816x, AR817x and Killer E220x

Mieze

298 posts in this topic

The error message is a strong indication that there is something wrong with the hardware, i.e. it's not a chip which is supported by the driver or maybe, the BIOS does something strange with the hardware I'm not aware of.

Mieze

Well, according to clover when I boot in verbose mode, it does recognize that I have killer e2400. it just errors out when loading your kext. Is there anything that you know of that might screw with it?

post-1264949-0-90092000-1478828973_thumb.png

Well, according to clover when I boot in verbose mode, it does recognize that I have killer e2400. it just errors out when loading your kext. Is there anything that you know of that might screw with it?

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20161108-0044011.png

Unfortunately no, because I have no documentation and the OS's function to enable the NIC's memory area for access fails for unknown reasons. There is nothing I can do about it.

Mieze

@DriveTheOne: Disable the UEFI network stack and network boot. this kind of errors occur when something is still in control of the NIC preventing the driver from accessing it.

Mieze

I don't understand, how to do? :)

Thank you very much! :)

Read the instructions in post#1 of this thread. Enter the BIOS settings and make sure that the UEFI network stack as well as network boot are disabled both. Reading through the thread you will find several users which had the same problem and solved it this way.

Mieze

Read the instructions in post#1 of this thread. Enter the BIOS settings and make sure that the UEFI network stack as well as network boot are disabled both. Reading through the thread you will find several users which had the same problem and solved it this way.

Mieze

Okay, I've cheked, they were already configured and doesn't work.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

there are setting's bios:

unnamed.jpg

unnamed1.jpg

Frank

Using this driver on a GA-z77x-ud3h (rev 1.2 with a AR8161 NIC) with a MacOS10.12.1 install booting via Clover v3899.

Ethernet works, but very slow. Download test from a SMB server over LAN runs about 85-90 Mbps, whereas same test/same cable, etc with real MacBook runs about 750-800Mbps.

I find that the kext will only work if System Prefs/Network/Ethernet/Advanced/Hardware is set to Configure:Automatically, and the connection gets set up at 100Mb. If I try Configure:Manually and select 1Gb speed it will not establish connection.

I do not see any ethernet-related messages in logs.

Grateful if someone can advise where else I should look to resolve this issue?

Using this driver on a GA-z77x-ud3h (rev 1.2 with a AR8161 NIC) with a MacOS10.12.1 install booting via Clover v3899.

Ethernet works, but very slow. Download test from a SMB server over LAN runs about 85-90 Mbps, whereas same test/same cable, etc with real MacBook runs about 750-800Mbps.

I find that the kext will only work if System Prefs/Network/Ethernet/Advanced/Hardware is set to Configure:Automatically, and the connection gets set up at 100Mb. If I try Configure:Manually and select 1Gb speed it will not establish connection.

I do not see any ethernet-related messages in logs.

Grateful if someone can advise where else I should look to resolve this issue?

This is a hardware problem. Please see post#1 for a solution.

Mieze

This is a hardware problem. Please see post#1 for a solution.

Mieze

After more testing, looks like you are correct. Now suspect it is crappy cable or bad in-wall cable routing (close to mains or something).

running iperf to a server on both this hack and a linux boot on same hardware is same result, and also iperf on a real Mac over same cable is same result. tried fiddling with speed settings on switch and hackintosh, but unable to force it to a Gigabit connection.

Only uncertainty is that I did get close to gigabit thru this cable with real mac a week or two ago, but could be that bad cable issue is somehow intermittent. 

The acid test would be to try same machine but connected to a different cable back to my switch./server, but that would require disconnecting a mess of cables and lugging hardware to another room. too busy to try all that just now, so will live with the slow speed.

May try re-doing the RJ connector/wall socket on the in-wall CAT5 one day.

Thanks for help, anyway

• 2 weeks later...

updated to 10.12 and installed killer e2400

Internet works but the only issue is the app store always getting an error while signing in

saw some solutions to change en1 to en0 but i don't know how to do it 

I have msi x99a godlike gaming which has 2 ethernet ports on system pref>network shows en1 and en2

can you help me?

updated to 10.12 and installed killer e2400

Internet works but the only issue is the app store always getting an error while signing in

saw some solutions to change en1 to en0 but i don't know how to do it 

I have msi x99a godlike gaming which has 2 ethernet ports on system pref>network shows en1 and en2

can you help me?

You are definitely posting in the wrong thread because this is not a driver issue. Looks more like a messed up system configuration.

Mieze

I experience "Fatal interrupt. Reseting chip. ISR=0x200" and "Fatal interrupt. Reseting chip. ISR=0x4200" a few times per day. Network card stops working and requires reboot to be able connect again.

I was unable to google any solution for this issue. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Driver downloaded from this url: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/313-atherose2200ethernet/, debug version, 2.2.0.
OS Sierra, 10.12.1.
Motherboard: GA-Z77-DS3H (rev. 1.1, Atheros AR8161)
EEE disabled
BIOS settings seems to be correct but maybe I missed something?

Today I had 2 such network driver issues. I was streaming movie via samba to tv box and 2 times connection was dropped.

Log file attached.

log.log.zip

I experience "Fatal interrupt. Reseting chip. ISR=0x200" and "Fatal interrupt. Reseting chip. ISR=0x4200" a few times per day. Network card stops working and requires reboot to be able connect again.

I was unable to google any solution for this issue. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Driver downloaded from this url: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/313-atherose2200ethernet/, debug version, 2.2.0.

OS Sierra, 10.12.1.

Motherboard: GA-Z77-DS3H (rev. 1.1, Atheros AR8161)

EEE disabled

BIOS settings seems to be correct but maybe I missed something?

Today I had 2 such network driver issues. I was streaming movie via samba to tv box and 2 times connection was dropped.

Log file attached.

I've checked your log file but I neither have any idea what happened nor am I able to reproduce the issue. I have two machines with Atheros NICs working 100% stable, one of them is my primary development system, the other one a server with 24/7 uptime but I remember user coolspot18 reported the same issue more than a year ago. Interestingly the issue disappeared after some time and reappeared 6 month later although I haven't changed the driver in between. Apart form that, it seems to be a rare issue as you two are the only users which seem to be affected. That's why I think that the cause is located somewhere else in your system, maybe a BIOS related problem.

Mieze

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I have the same problem with the same log errors on a GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 with Killer E2200 (EEE disable) on 10.11.x and 10.12.x.

I have to reboot regularly to get Ethernet working.

In case you are dual booting Windows and OS X on your machine you might want to shut down the computer and wait a few minutes before you boot again when switching from Windows to OS X. As I have no datasheet, I can't rule out that there are some settings made by the Windows driver which survive a warm boot and cause the trouble under OS X.

Mieze

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After updating the source code on GitHub a few days ago, I also updated prebuilt binary in the download section to version 2.2.1, which is optimized for Sierra and also supports polled receive mode.

Mieze  :cat:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm currently building a new development system with a Killer NIC and already bought an Asrock Z170 Gaming K4. Unfortunately with this board the system won't wakeup from sleep, although I spent the last 10 days trying to fix this issue but all my efforts have been in vain and I can't afford to waste more time. As proper sleep/wake support is crucial for me, I decided to give up on the Asrock board and get another one from a different manufacturer.

Now I'm looking for a socket 1151 board which should meet the following requirements:

• Killer NIC
  • Proper wakeup from sleep with Sierra
  • Not too expensive.

Is there anybody out there who could recommend me a mainboard which meets these requirements?

Thanks in advance!

Mieze  :cat:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I can't answer that question but I can bring bad news for your AtherosE2200Ethernet v2.2.1. I got a Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H here, should be a Atheros AR8161 LAN chip. With the recommended ALXEthernet install from ##### 9.1.0 for Sierra I got the problem described here, where upon shutdown the system would reboot, displaying a message about a irregular shutdown. The system log would point at the ALXEthernet crashing. Otherwise that driver worked fine.

So now I am trying AtherosE2200Ethernet v2.2.0 and v2.2.1 with the latest macOS Sierra X.12.6. I am using Kext Utility to install v2.2.0/1 into S/L/E or L/E, but to no avail. There is no ethernet port in system preferences (as there usually is when you plug in the cable). Looking at system report -> extensions I can see the AtheroisE2200Ethernet, but it is not loaded. Probably because it is not signed?

Or do I have to install directly into the EFI partition? The ##### for Sierra tool does not seem to work like that, their stuff goes into L/E. For reference, AppleHDADisabler and VoodooHDA do work in these folders and they show in the list as not signed, yet loaded.

EDIT: Let me retract that. Some forum threads gave me the impression that my GA-H77-D3H Rev 1.0 hat the AR8161 chip. While the Rev 1.1 of that board might have that, the Rev 1.0 version appearantly has the AR8151 on board. As a result, AtherosL1cEthernet.kext installed into Clovers kext folder works fine, just as it did on El Capitan. As it does on the GA-Z77MX-D3H, just fyi.