MacOsX on the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

194 posts in this topic

Trying to get OS X installed not he SP3, I also had the problem that the final (or any other) Yosemite would hang on the Bluetooth line (I think that is unrelated, I guess it actually waits for the rootfs, which it does not come up). After literately trying everything (many other Clover versions, trying the manual extract .dmg, Packages, etc. vs. the createinstallmedia to prepare the USB media) I finally got it working:

I "think" the problem was the "GenericUSBXHCI.kext" from one of the file packs. I now have a codesign'ed GenericUSBXHCI.kext with the "manual unpacked .dmg, symlink replaced Packages etc." USB stick and it is the first version that finally booted to the graphic and UI installer on this Core-i7 SP3.

The TypeCover would still not work in the Installer though, the SystemProfiler would not even show a USB section?!?!

Anyway, I now need to grab an external USB keyboard, and shrink my Windows 8 partition and try the full install, ...

Wish me luck ,-)

• Like 1

ppage - Are the touch screen and wifi working yet?  What about sound?  I am itching to try it out.  Thanks.

- Tim

Hi

the status is still the same, like posted already ( since i have 10.10 final on my Surface Pro 3) in this thread.

You need to use a signed GenericUSBXHCI.kext to be able to boot.

Internal bluetooth / wifi is not working - USB Wifi / Bluetooth stick works

Typecover is not working (both keyboard / touchpad)

Sound is working

Some Graphics glitches

Touchscreen is not working

Gkarg

On the first boot I had this graphic glitches (apparently the same I also already had on the Core-i5 SurfacePro2 since at least 10.9.2). However, on the second boot I changed the example serial number to another (random, but MacBookAir6,2 matching) one to prepare for AppStore, and the the graphic glitches were gone on the Core-i7 SurfacePro3. Not sure yet if that that was just lucky for once, or for a longer time due serial number?

I'm quite convinced the touch cover is just a matter of getting a GenericUSBXHCI.kext to actually get super-speed USB3 to work (I have no device showing up as super-speed). The type cover also just works on Linux, anyway. Maybe some ACPI XHCI table? So I would guess there is just some basic USB not working. I will keep trying on this the last days, as the type cover is quite nice on-the-go, and frees the USB port anyway.

Ultimately Bluetooth should work with the Avastar.kext modified with the new id and fw. Unless Appl br0ke some generic Bluetooth support, ...

Wifi will not wok on any Surface until someone ports the whole Linux/BSD driver over, which frankly is a bigger task, ...

Update: actually, the TypeCover shows up in the USB Profiler, keeping searching why it does not work another day, ...

Ultimately Bluetooth should work with the Avastar.kext modified with the new id and fw. Unless Appl br0ke some generic Bluetooth support, ...

Hi

I already took the existing Avastar.kext Project and added the new firmware - but it never loaded - i'm not sure about the correct product id - tried 8267 (found in Windows) 8260 (found on Internet) - both didn't work - found also somewhere the info, that the product id will change on cold/warm state - but don't know, if this is true

Gkarg

Retina resolution overwrite, put in:

/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-4ca3/DisplayProductID-3542

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>IODisplayEDID</key>
<data>AP///////wBMo0I1AAAAAAAXAQGVGRF4Cu6Vo1RMmSYPUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBeFBwoICgKVAwIDoA/qkAAAAZakBwoICgKVAwIDoA/qkAAAAZAAAA/gBTQU1TVU5HCiAgICAgAAAA/gAxMjBRTDAxLTAwMQogAGk=</data>
<key>DisplayProductID</key>
<integer>13634</integer>
<key>DisplayVendorID</key>
<integer>19619</integer>
<key>scale-resolutions</key>
<array>
<data>AAAKAAAABaAAAAAB</data>
<data>AAAFVgAAAwAAAAAB</data>
<data>AAAKAAAABqwAAAAB</data>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

Unfortunately Apple apparently still limits the Intel HD5000 to 2560x???? pixel, so this only gives 2560x1708, ideally I would want 2880x1920 or so.

Intel .kext hack anyone?

Hi

Not until now - i will try it later today - but with the newer Yosemite USB 3.0 kext from yesterday - http://hackintosh.zone/hackintosh-downloads/file/538-usb-30-kext-for-os-x-yosemite-genericusbxhcikext/

Thanks for the link

Gkarg

EDIT: Tried the kext - no Change - Type Cover / Trackpad is still not working - but is recognized in System Profiler, like before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some news from the Bluetooth front: I adapted the AvastarFwLoader for the new WiFi/BT hardware in the hope to get BT working. Only to discover that, unlike on the SP2, the SP3 does not have the Marvel BT USB device showing up at all. It appears that the PCIE attached SP3 Marvel WiFi/BT controller only enabled the USB BT part when the PCIE device has it's FW loaded and enabled (tested under Linux with selectively loading the mwifiex_pcie).

So from what I have seen we would need to write an PCI(e) driver for Mac OS X that loads at least the "WiFi" firmware, in order for the USB Bluetooth to show up and then even load the BT firmware with AvastarFwLoader into the USB device. Just to get Bluetooth working. Obviously that PCI(e) driver for the WiFi would be a stub otherwise, and not handle any actual WiFi functionally (in the beginning ;-).

I tried installing OSX, but I can't even get the bootable USB drive with OSX installer to start up. I followed the SP2 guide, and added the config file in this thread. Still no go. Can someone help me out?

Hi

Did you try the guide mentioned by me in this thread ?

I had also the problem, that some usb sticks didn't work - so just try anorher one (or the internal microsd slot)

So boot menu is configured correctly and you know, how to force the boot medium via the volume keys ?

Please try this - boot Windows and search for recovery

Then select the option to boot from another boot medium - if your boot medium is not listed, then you have a problem with the boot medium itself (not compatible or wrong created)

Gkarg

I tried installing OSX, but I can't even get the bootable USB drive with OSX installer to start up. I followed the SP2 guide, and added the config file in this thread. Still no go. Can someone help me out?

(1)  First make sure windows is shutdown, then press and hold "volume up button" and then press the "power button", the computer will boot into the

UEFI Firmware Settings screen, in there change the "Secure Boot Control" to "Disabled", save the change and exit.

(2)  First make sure the computer is shutdown, then press and hold "volume down button" and then press the "power button", the computer will automatically boot any connected bootable USB drive.

Good luck

after full install is there full graphics acceleration? I am thinking of jumping in and installing osx, has anybody found a solution that goes around the type cover to keep this mobile ie a case or keyboard alternative? Also any advice on wireless or bluetooth dongles ?

Just go let you guys know since I haven't seen anyone talk about it, the Surface Pro 3 DSDT has OS checks which will fail for OS X and disable certain devices. These might be the source of the problems you guys are experiencing with hardware. Try masking Darwin as Windows 7 in the DSDT and see how that works.

If you guys know this already, just ignore me. I haven't found anywhere this is mentioned though.

Just go let you guys know since I haven't seen anyone talk about it, the Surface Pro 3 DSDT has OS checks which will fail for OS X and disable certain devices. These might be the source of the problems you guys are experiencing with hardware. Try masking Darwin as Windows 7 in the DSDT and see how that works.

If you guys know this already, just ignore me. I haven't found anywhere this is mentioned though.

Hi

Thanks for your suggestion - where can I find a guide for masking the DSDT as Windows 7? Just found the following Info for Clover im the Wiki Page, but no Windows 7/8 mentioned?

FixDarwin_0002

Provide a set of corrections to DSDT to make your system "Darwin" to be identified as "Windows 2001", like most ACPI systems.

Thanks

Gkarg

Hi

Thanks for your suggestion - where can I find a guide for masking the DSDT as Windows 7? Just found the following Info for Clover im the Wiki Page, but no Windows 7/8 mentioned?

FixDarwin_0002

Provide a set of corrections to DSDT to make your system "Darwin" to be identified as "Windows 2001", like most ACPI systems.

Thanks

Gkarg

In MaciASL, search for OSYS until you come across a list of definitions like so:

00491bfc59db158b3dfe72f24566ee96.png

You will want to add the following under the If block for Windows 2013:

If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
                {
                    Store (0x07DD, OSYS)
                }

This will mask Darwin (OS X) as the latest version of Windows. You should now see more devices available in the IOReg of the device. You will have to find/write drivers to power these devices as they will probably not work OOTB. 

• Like 1

This will mask Darwin (OS X) as the latest version of Windows. You should now see more devices available in the IOReg of the device. You will have to find/write drivers to power these devices as they will probably not work OOTB.

In MaciASL, search for OSYS until you come across a list of definitions like so:

00491bfc59db158b3dfe72f24566ee96.png

You will want to add the following under the If block for Windows 2013:

If (_OSI ("Darwin"))                {                    Store (0x07DD, OSYS)                }

Hi

Thanks for the excellent info. Changed the DSDT from Clover to Windows 2012 & 2013 - with both changes WLAN / Bluetooth is still not listed as a device. So it seems, ppage is right with his post - without loading the driver/firmware the devices are not visible.

Thanks

Gkarg

Hi

Thanks for the excellent info. Changed the DSDT from Clover to Windows 2012 & 2013 - with both changes WLAN / Bluetooth is still not listed as a device. So it seems, ppage is right with his post - without loading the driver/firmware the devices are not visible.

Thanks

Gkarg

Post the output of IOReg and I'll let you know exactly what devices you need drivers for (and whether they exist or not).

Can you also provide a copy of the IOreg before the DSDT OSYS patch?

Hi

yes - here is the IOreg without DSDT OSYS patch. Just as an info - since this was a installation by a guide (mentioned in this thread) the OSYS was set to Windows 2006 via default in the DSDT. I have changed the line for OSYS first from Windows 2006 to Windows 2012 (IOREG above), then changed ist to Windows 2013 (IOREG above) and then removed the "Darwin" section completly - so this is now the the IOreg posted in this post - without any Darwin OSYS assignment.

Thanks

gkarg

That's really strange, the I2C device isn't enumerating which suggests the other disabled devices aren't enumerating either, I'll have to examine it more carefully at a later date.

I'm currently writing an I2C driver for my Dell Venue 11 Pro but it should also work on the Surface Pro 3. Touchbase will probably beat me to the punch since I see they're developing drivers for the touchscreen but if I finish it anytime soon, I'll see if I can help you guys get some of the hardware working.